“I love SPK”

Ranked #2 of 17 Pangkor B&B and Inns
Ipoh, Malaysia
“I love SPK”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

SPK is a small village in Pangkor island. Only 2 minutes walk from Terminal Penumpang Sungai Pinang, you will reach the guesthouse. Joyce recommended us the places to visit. You can rent a motor and start exploring from SPK to Pangkor town to Teluk Nipah.

Staying at Pangkor Guesthouse is a good decision because there are variety of local foods for breakfast at the main road. Nearby Pangkor Guesthouse, there is Kedai Kopi Boon Poh which is my favourite as the coffee and bread toast are good ! The owner uncle and aunt are friendly too. Another is Pangkor Lok Lok which open at 4pm. You can view sunrise from the jetty early the morning. There are two satay ikan factories in SPK. A must visit !

A pleasant stay at SPK.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharon1T

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I have been travelled over 20 countries, I found the best place for holiday was Pangkor Island, one of my friends recommend PANGKORE SPK Guest house, it was so nice place for home stay. The owner/chinese origin, I found such a nice women she always happy to care & support to her clinets who residing their guest house. She is really active, smart & helpful women.
Even I was far from home, during my two night stay, I felt it is my own home.
Its not big enough guest house, though their service seems like star hotel in KL centre, very neat & clean, I recomend to tourist to visit this guest house. I was there in June with my british girls friends, we enjoyed alot!!

Susil/ Nepal

Room Tip: All rooms are nice though the front one is the best!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank gitt2ny
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3D2N and it was good. The guesthouse is simple, clean and unique in its own way. The owner, Joyce Guok is very friendly and she shared with us plenty of info. She has a list of recommended places to visit and things to do, and emailed us once we made payment online, so at least we have time to do some planning before we arrived.

This fishing village is really a good choice, an experience different from the usual beach resort. Life is so simple and safe here. Young kids walking and cycling without fear, even at night. The villagers are so friendly. They will talk to you if you smile to them. They will tell you where to go and what to eat. This is also a place for lots of photo taking. Old buildings, activities and scenes - fishing boats, sunrise, boat making, fish farm, market, anchovy drying, wild boar feeding etc.

If you want to experience a laid back life, this is a place to be!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank itchy-feet-stranger
Adelaide
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The owner, Joyce, is very friendly and welcoming and speaks excellent English. Her welcome email covers all the points you need to know about traveling to Pangkor, finding her guesthouse, and things to do on the island.
The Guest house itself is nice, a couple of hammocks hang in the lobby area, with an honour system fridge that had beer, water and a few other things. You can get free towels with a small deposit.
We and our friends had 3 downstairs A/C rooms. Room 5 is the largest and has the best light, as room 1 and 2 face out onto a very tiny alley. The rooms are quite small, as the guest house is too. The A/C works well. The bathrooms are quite small, and both the shower and toilet share the space, so everything gets wet. Our bathroom in room 1 also had a bit of a drain smell in it (this is a common thing in asia we have found), so we shut the door most of the time. The other rooms didn't mention it though so I think it was only us.

The local area around the guesthouse is great. Local food everywhere and local fruit shops and coffee places. Very local. You will be the only tourists there. If you turn left out of the guesthouse, and go 30metres to the Y junction, after 1pm a great little restaurant opens and the people who run it speak quite good English. The food is good. Joyce ordered us 1kg of fresh crabs from the fish market across the road and the people at the restaurant cooked it for us.

Joyce has a map of the local area with all the stalls. She also can tell you where to feed the Hornbill birds across the island, and where to feed the Wild Boars locally. Both happen at 6:30pm everyday.

Joyce can arrange scooter hire for you for around $15/day, which is an excellent way to get around the Island. Or if you want to go party on the otherside of the island, you can get a pink taxi very easily.

Go on the floating fish farm tour with Joyce's husband. It's not thrilling but it is quite interesting. It goes for about 30-45mins.

If you go to the less touristy beaches on the other side of the island, beware the thieving monkeys. They will approach your bags and look for food in them. Don't try and stop them because they will get very angry. This happened to us once on Turtle beach, and we really couldn't think of a way to solve the problem if it happened again. There's no real reason not to go to the touristy beaches, as all the people there are very friendly and it's not too bad as Pangkor is not a huge tourist place.

Pangkor Guesthouse is the place to stay for a really local experience on a Malaysian island.

Room Tip: Room 5 is good, lots of light and bigger.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Schmaxx
Puno
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

This place has a great relaxing atmosphere and it is fascinating spending a few days in a small working Chineese village

Joyce, the owner, makes everyone feel welcome and can give all the advice you need to make the most of your stay

She can even rent you a cycle or motor bike
Basic rooms but excellent value for money

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank tony&marilyn
kuala lumpur
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My Aunt booked the entire guesthouse for 2 nights for our entire extended family (which were about 23 pax). The younger members of our party thoroughly enjoyed it. My daughter, which was 3 plus had a great time as she seldom gets a chance to spend time with all my young cousins, Aunts and Uncles. The rooms were clean but a bit spartan. The rooms had insufficient facilities to store our luggage or even hang our clothes which we think is easily rectified with just putting up more clothe-hooks. Altogether we took 9 rooms.

The common areas could do with more comfy furnishings.Overall, the short holiday was made pleasant by our own company, the guesthouse, in my opinion, didn't add anything special to our short getaway experience. The guest house is located in a fishing village and there were plenty of street stalls to sample the local fare. I must say that the local coffee shops make great coffee. My wife, who's Vietnamese, was pleasantly surprised by this, as she does pride herself a coffee connoisseur. (FYI, Vietnam makes awesome coffee and they export a ton of this stuff and if I'm not mistaken, they're the 2nd largest coffee exporter after Brazil!). If you've been to Vietnam and have sampled their local coffee, you'll understand what I mean. So, anyways, the coffee served in the village "Kopitiam" (coffee shops) are top notched! Much better than any coffee I've had in KL. (Starbucks is way overated so don't start!).

Room Tip: If you're a backpacker or a budget traveller, this place would suit you but I still think prices...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank elmo069
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Travelling with my family and have 1 night stay there .. the guesthouse is just 3 mins walk right after get up from SPK jeti. The room is clean and neat (triple room with attached bathroom) .. the boss is friendly and helpful .. if you would like to experience the local people's life, this is the great place and its located right in the middle of SPK town .. :) ..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family