“Fascinating and friendly”

Pangkor Guesthouse SPK
Ranked #2 of 18 Pangkor B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

This place has a great relaxing atmosphere and it is fascinating spending a few days in a small working Chineese village

Joyce, the owner, makes everyone feel welcome and can give all the advice you need to make the most of your stay

She can even rent you a cycle or motor bike
Basic rooms but excellent value for money

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank tony&marilyn

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My Aunt booked the entire guesthouse for 2 nights for our entire extended family (which were about 23 pax). The younger members of our party thoroughly enjoyed it. My daughter, which was 3 plus had a great time as she seldom gets a chance to spend time with all my young cousins, Aunts and Uncles. The rooms were clean but a bit spartan. The rooms had insufficient facilities to store our luggage or even hang our clothes which we think is easily rectified with just putting up more clothe-hooks. Altogether we took 9 rooms.

The common areas could do with more comfy furnishings.Overall, the short holiday was made pleasant by our own company, the guesthouse, in my opinion, didn't add anything special to our short getaway experience. The guest house is located in a fishing village and there were plenty of street stalls to sample the local fare. I must say that the local coffee shops make great coffee. My wife, who's Vietnamese, was pleasantly surprised by this, as she does pride herself a coffee connoisseur. (FYI, Vietnam makes awesome coffee and they export a ton of this stuff and if I'm not mistaken, they're the 2nd largest coffee exporter after Brazil!). If you've been to Vietnam and have sampled their local coffee, you'll understand what I mean. So, anyways, the coffee served in the village "Kopitiam" (coffee shops) are top notched! Much better than any coffee I've had in KL. (Starbucks is way overated so don't start!).

Room Tip: If you're a backpacker or a budget traveller, this place would suit you but I still think prices...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank elmo069
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Travelling with my family and have 1 night stay there .. the guesthouse is just 3 mins walk right after get up from SPK jeti. The room is clean and neat (triple room with attached bathroom) .. the boss is friendly and helpful .. if you would like to experience the local people's life, this is the great place and its located right in the middle of SPK town .. :) ..

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Travelling with my friends to this SPK guesthouse, room is clean and everything so-like-home, don't worry if you can't get transportation in Pangkor, just get from Joyce with reasonable price, she will tell where to go and have fun!

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I was a bit hesitated to stay here in the beginning. Originally I wanted to stay in somewhere near the beach, and Pangkor Guesthouse is at the fishing village on the other side of the beach, there's no beach. I was worried about how convenient it is to access the beach.

After reading all the reviews here, I decided to give it a try, and I enjoy my stay very much here. We did go to the touristy beach area, and immediately me and my friend agreed that we have made a right decision to avoid staying there.

The owner of the guesthouse, Joyce, is like your long lost sister. We chatted so much the minute we arrived there. She gave useful information about the attractions, activities you can do, transport, restaurants/food etc.

We stayed in a double room with ensuite bathroom. The room is very clean, the bathroom/toilet functioned well. It's also very quiet at night. The location of the guesthouse is very good, literally a few steps from the jetty. It is also surrounded by a lot of restaurants to choose from.

I recommend that you try the restaurant right opposite the SPK jetty, there's a stall selling laksa, curry mee, otak-otak... and yummy, you should give it a try.

We regret that we only stayed for 1 short night, 2 nights should be nicer. on the last day, Joyce ordered some freshly caught crabs and get the restaurant opposite the guesthouse to cook them. Then, 6 guests plus Joyce and her husband, we shared these fingerlicious crabs. We like it as it was so fresh, you need no seasoning, just steamed and you can taste the sweetness of the meat.

I will definitely return to this place and stay in Pangkor Guesthouse SPK again!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Great welcoming and very helpful tenant.. It just that it is a bit far from the tourist spots area..
Hope that the places have more nearer halal restaurants available.. Thank you for the great tour guide from the tenant..

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We chosed to stay at the Pangkor Guesthouse so we could experience the life in the local fishing village. It was a fantastic decision because over at the touristy beach areas, once the sun goes down, there really wasn't much happening unless you're at the hotel bar or something. The location of the guesthouse was central to many local food stalls that were super cheap (local prices) and you can get fresh food made to order at really almost any time. We stayed in a room on the first floor with two twin beds that included our own bathroom/shower combo. One of the best things about the guesthouse was how environmentally green it was. There was a lot of repurposed wood from the surrounding waters built into the GH. The pricing was fantastic for how clean and comfortable it was. There's two lounging common areas. The BEST thing about staying at PG-SPK was the host/owner Joyce! She was who really made our trip to Pangkor the best of all the locations we visited on our trip. She showed us around the village (walking); we attempted to lure out the local wild hogs to feed them; hung out with local kids playing around the village; told us great tips on what to see around the island; which stalls to eat at (the auntie with the chicken curry noodles MMM!); helped arrange for us to rent a scooter to ride around the island; hung out with us and was just a wealth of information and fun. Joyce is really passionate about having visitors learn about Pangkor and all it has to offer as well as really getting to know all her guests. There are so many great experiences from our stay in Pangkor and the guesthouse that I can go on and on. We wish her all the best and will definitely stay there again without hesitation the next time we make a trip to Pangkor, especially if Joyce continues to be the one who runs the guesthouse.

*It was very affordable to rent a scooter to get around the island. You can literally go around the island in about 20 mins or so and it's super fun!

Room Tip: We stayed in a downstairs unit in a room with two twins so we can each have our own bed. It was a cl...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pangkor
Nazri Nipah Camp
2 mi away
Budget Beach Resort
Budget Beach Resort
#3 of 25 in Pulau Pangkor

Been to Pangkor Guesthouse SPK? Share your experiences!