“disaster”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Lumut
KL
“disaster”
Reviewed October 3, 2008

booked more than a week ahead for a 3 day of very much needed vacation with my wife and baby girl. We arrived on the first day of raya late in the evening, front desk staff were very helpful and checked us in without any delay..The room was reasonably clean and since we had a baby plus the secluded location, we had to bring her food which required refrigeration..to my disappointment the fridge was not cold at all, called the maintenance and they replaced the fridge but it was actually worse than the first one..as we were about to sleep from our 3.5 hour journey, we were awoken by the live band which was playing right next to our room, not that the band was bad but we informed the reservation staff that we had a baby with us and expected them to be more attentive to our needs. Called the front desk and they told us they were packed and there isn't another room available,so we had to wait until almost 1230am before we could catch some rest as the noise was as if we were at the bar as well and extremely loud..the final straw was during breakfast when we went to the poolside cafe, I have never seen so many flies at one place in my life..there were thousands flying around plus the staff had placed sticky paper around the buffet and it was all black and looked disgusting sitting next to food..we managed to get a table which was just left by guest, the plates of left over food were totally black with flies, i couldn't even think of eating anything or even try to give any to my child..we were shocked and disappointed and decided to leave immediately..however i must say that the staff were very helpful and quite well trained..not planning to return for a long time

• Liked — staff atitude
  • Disliked — flies
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed September 29, 2008

The Rooms were fine, clean - although there were some nasty looking set in stains on my sheets. And the pillows are just air.
The pool is very nice, there are complementary bicycles and canoes to use and the grounds are lovely. If you are into golf the scenery as you play must be fantastic.
However the biggest problem and the reason we would not stay here again was that the food was either ordinary or in most cases lousy. Being on the sea one would expect a fantastic sea food buffet - sadly the fish, prawns and octopus were mushy which usually indicates that they have been frozen a couple of times. It was also not particulary cheap compared to other parts of Malaysia, they advertised in all the rooms about their woodfired pizzas - the night we tried to order one they said that we could only have the buffet dinner - as we had already experienced their buffets we insisted on pizza - after some argument we got our pizzas and these must have been frozen packet pizzas that were simply reheated in the woodfire oven. Just awful. The worst part was that the hotel was so isolated that the nearest place to go for food was in Lumut about 40 minutes away so we also felt trapped with no choice. The only saving food outlet was the Iguana bar which was on another part of the property where the food was half the price of the main hotel and although it was bar snacks it was 20 times better than what we had experienced thus far. Also the staff at the Iguana bar were fantastic and went out of their way to accommodate us.
The internet did not work the whole 4 days we were there and the gym & rec room are a little tired - also spa out of action.
Staff at the main hotel were unhelpful, quite rude and at times just got it all wrong.
Our last memory was the argument we had at check out where the clerks had extra items on our bill and asked us to take it on faith that they would not charge our credit card and got a bit annoyed when we insisted that the records reflect the new balance as this had to be done a few times until they got it right.
If you want to go to Pangkor I suggest trying one of the resorts on the actual island it may be better. Or just go to Langkawi, Penang or Kuantan where you will find a great place to stay.

• Liked — Nice Pool
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Lumut hotels

selatan
Reviewed August 28, 2008

we booked through HQ ( thanks to Rachel, a very patient & excellent staff). My family & i stayed at swiss apartment for 3D 2N. We satisfied with the front counter service. We got a problem while check-in but they solved it as good as they can. No grumble at all. The cleanliness is so-so but we don't mind coz we didn't spend the whole day at the apartment. My kids loved to play at the pool. They enjoyed it very very much. They asked me to come back soon. The staff is very friendly & always smile. Thanks to you guys for giving us a good experience & nice trip. See u soon...

• Liked — the pool, sauna & friendly staff
  • Disliked — in-house game
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed August 22, 2008

We stayed there last Christmas because all other resorts near Pangkor Island were booked solid. Now I know why they still had rooms during the busiest holidays after staying there for 4 nites. There are flies everywhere in the resort, I couldnt relax by the pool (which is the best thing in the hotel) because I had to constantly wave away the flies on my drink, my food and my body.. The meals in the resort are 3 times more expensive than good restaurant in the city, but the food was horrible. The chicken satay was made of some unknow chicken part with lots of grease, I think it may be chicken butt, anyway it was disgusting.. We tried all 4 restaurants there, and they are rated from terrible to okay. Me and my mom had a grill seafood buffet dinner one nite, the seafood wasnt fresh at all (besides the flies constantly around them) . I had a bite of the mushy crab and I had to spit it out. My mom had 3 bites and she woke up puking at nite. I would not stay there ever again, and advise u save your money staying somewhere else if u want to have a good time. If u dont mind the flies and bringing our own food, then it maybe OK..

• Liked — The pool is nice
  • Disliked — The flies and the food
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
malaysia
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Its my honeymoon holiday on this resort. I drove there from my hometown ipoh. Although there were no signboard on 1 of the junction, probably its been knocked down by a lorry, we had no difficulties in locating this resort. Its located out of town, therefore its pretty quiet and peaceful. We were there on Sunday to Tuesday (3D2N) probably thats not too many guest at that particular time.
We took the package which provide breakfast. Breakfast was not bad. For lunch, i travel to town for some cheap seafood. At night , i just order the pizza to my room. The pizza was quite delicious, and the price was quite affordable.
The pool was very nice. The view of the sea from the pool is fantastic. The bicycles do need some serious maintenence. The sea was good for kayaking.
Not to mention most of the staffs are quite friendly.

• Liked — quiet and the pizza
  • Disliked — bicycles need some serious maintenence
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank just-travel-it
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 25, 2007

Overall, our stay at the hotel is good. The way into the hotel was secluded and it gave us the feeling that we ARE really out of town for holiday. The hotel staffs are friendly and attentive. The food at the Blossom court was just GOOD and it was affordable. I personally do not like the balcony that much. Maybe it's because its raining the 1st day we reached there, the balcony was wet and dirty. The beach was not that nice.... its more like a desert to me. The pool is nice and thats the only place where i can see a lot of activities. Other places was not as alive (strange for a weekend). We wanted to try canoeing and kayaking but since there is no one at the sea, we decided not to go for it for safety sake. A good place to rest and relax from the outside world.

• Liked — The food and atmosphere
  • Disliked — the beach
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
Malaysia
Reviewed June 3, 2007

I stayed at Swiss Garden during the fasting month so rates were cheap, RM 180 inclusive breakfast and dinner. The hotel was quite quiet so for non Muslims, the fasting month is the best time to go on holiday. However, it was also haze season so there weren't any great views.

I was a bit wary of flies and beach quality based on previous reviews. However, when I was there, I didn't encounter any flies. The beach was good, by west coast standards. The siput was GREAT FUN! Got loads of it.

Rooms were clean and spacious. This hotel also has the best directions on how to get there. I would like to go back there but they are frequently fully booked during holidays and festivals.

• Liked — The spaciousness and cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lumut
Marina Island Pangkor Resort & Hotel
Coral Bay Resort, Pangkor
Sfera Hotel
Sfera Hotel
#3 of 19 in Lumut
Mornington Hotel Waterfront Lumut
Pangkor Laut Resort
Pangkor Sandy Beach Resort

Been to Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Damai Laut? Share your experiences!