Pangkor Laut Resort
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
2,591 results
All reviewsemerald bayhill villaspa villagesea villaour honeymoonuncle limschapman's barprivate islandsunset cruisespa treatmentsmonitor lizardsjungle walkon stiltsfruit batsresident packagejamu barmeal plan
Reviewed July 19, 2011

The place has always appeal to us- a private island so peaceful and, my wife's favourite is the Spa + treatment. She is already planning to go therre again when we have the time to travel there again.

The whole generation of our family went for a short break for 4 days break. The place is beautiful as before. Rooms are kept at very high standards. Room managers were very helpful especially Asst manager J Lee who not only sorted out our rooms due to booking probs at the HQ in Kuala Lumpur.
He was most charming and charismatic and always there in person with a smile to ensure that all goes well. Service that will make us wants to return to the place.

However, the breakfast is a bit disappointing. It is somewhat watered down. Many agreed that they have reduced the no of choices/ dishes.

In a place where there is no other places where you can buy breakfast, it would be prudent that the no of dishes dare not reduced, on't you think?

One thing I found that have improved are the cocktails at the bar. Certainly got better in that dept. Overall, we will definitely be back for another relaxing break.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Dalips, General Manager at Pangkor Laut Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2011

Thank you for your loyal patronage and support of Pangkor Laut Resort. I am happy to note that you had an enjoyable stay and that John Lee was most charming and charismatic. John was delighted to know he was mentioned in your feedback. I have also noted your commebnts on our reservation in KL as well as the breakfast and will work together with the leadership concerned to further improve our services to our guests. Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back for even more times.

Reviewed July 19, 2011

I have a heard a gd review of this hotel before. And absolutely they were right bout this resort. It suits honeymooners actually. very quiet and peaceful. But still me and my friends really enjoy the stay. the whole island is belongs to this resort so basically its like a private island . All the staff are fabulous.
Room was fantastic and the housekeeping come to check/tidy your room twice a day. I love the open bath tub concept and u can enjoy the fresh air. But just to remind u not to leave your windows/sliding door open if u have a nap or out from the room. it will invite the monkeys to sneak in:p
They have few activities such as jungle trekking, yoga, water-sports etc..
The best part they will come and set the bench (that u choose) with the towels n cold drink. For nitelife its kind of bored! For those who needs crazy night life its not suitable for u.

Room Tip: If u are not fit enough, avoid the hillside type. go for the gardens and the sea type.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for your sharing your recent stay experience and I am delighted to note that we have lived up to your expectations and that you had a relaxed time during your stay. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Pangkor Laut Resort.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed at Pangkor Laut for 8 nights of our honeymoon and it was everything we'd hoped for and more! From the private car transfer from Kuala Lumpur, to the beautiful and extremely friendly reception on arrival, the service we received was exemplary. We were upgraded to a Spa villa as there was some work being done at the jetty - the attached photo was our villa and we didn't want to leave. Would definitely recommend the jungle trek, the trip to Pangkor Island and the Sunset Cruise. And our 4-hour romantic spa experience was superb, well worth the money. Food was maybe a little expensive but it was always of a high quality. We were waved away by the reception staff as our speedboat transfer took us away from the best honeymoon ever. Anniversary trip one day hopefully....

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

I am delighted to note that we had made your honeymoon a special and memorable one. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to your return on your next anniversaries to come.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

My wife and I have heard many good reviews of PLR and have always wanted to visit this 5-star resort at least once in our lifetime since it is well-known for its luxury, hospitality and its 1-island-1-resort concept which offers complete privacy. With the affordable all meals inclusive 3D2N package, it has realized our dream finally for our wedding anniversary celebration recently.

When we arrived at the waiting lounge at Lumut, we were greeted by friendly staffs. Refreshing welcome drink (a type of fruit juice) was served and the check in was completed at the lounge as well. We had our room upgraded successfully from graden villa to hill villa. My wife was amazed with their washroom located outside of the lounge yet very clean and air conditioned !

When it was about time to board the speed boat to the resort, we were escorted by the hotel staff to the jetty with our luggage handled by the hotel staff all the way to our room, completely carefree ! The journey to the resort island from Lumut jetty took about 30 minutes. Upon arrival, we were once again greeted with friendly and smiling faces of the hotel staffs. Wet towel was given and similar juice refreshment we had at the lounge was served. We were then attended by a courteous customer service staff, Yae, who briefed us about the resort, facilities and activities, restaurants and etc. spoke with strong Japanese accent.

The view from our balcony, overlooking the sea, resort jetty and and Pangkor island across the sea was truly breathtaking. The villa built on hill slope surrounded by rain forrest was undoubtedly a mother nature paradise for mind, body and soul rejuvenation. The villa was clean and complete with a bathtub, 2 separate washbasins, a toilet, a shower room and 2 huge wardrobes ! There is a flatscreen TV with some satelite channels for our watching pleasure. Aromatherapeutic 'joss stick' was provided to create the calming atmosphere in our room.

Since our package limited us to only 4 out of the 6 restaurants in the resort, we are only entitled to have meals in Feast Village, Uncle Lim's Kitchen, Royal Bay Beach Club and Chapman's Bar, unless we top up some $ for a feast in Fisherman's Cove or Jamu Bar. Unwilingly to fork out more, we decided to stick to the 4 choices, and fortunately these 4 restaurants did not disappoint us. Lunch at both Royal Bay Beach Club and Chapman's Bar, especially western course meals were sumptous and yummy. Daily buffet breakfast was served at Feast Village where there was not many choices (compared to other hotels & resorts I have been to). The most commendable restaurant in the resort is none other than Uncle's Lim Kitchen, which I have heard many good comments before I experienced and tasted the food myself. The dishes were perfectly cooked and tasted so delicious till we came back for our 2nd dinner the following day. One of my personal favourites by Uncle Lim's was the avacado cream with orange flavoured-sago, truly heaven ! The only weakness of Uncle Lim's was the long waiting time ... but I could not ask for more since I was here for relaxation and slower pace of life. However, the restaurant manager has acknowledged this on the first night and they have significantly improved during our 2nd visit for dinner.

Emerald Bay is also one of our reasons to be at PLR. The white sandy beach with smooth and fine sand delighted us and clear water was so inviting that I would feel sorry if I did not swim in the water. However, I did notice a food snack package bag floating on the water... hmm, something which the resort has to look into to keep the water clean at all time. My wife was bitten by some kind of insect and she only realized when she saw a red mark at her thigh. Fortunately, it was not serious and the mark disappeared after rubbing for short while. Despite that, we still had a good time at the bay. A bucket of cold bottled drinking waters was delivered to us when we reached out for our beach chair. Last but not least at the bay, we enjoyed the beautiful sunset before returning to PLR.

The infinity pool, jacuzzi, gym and sauna were some of the most attractive facilities to us. We did not try any treatment or massages at the award-winning Spa Village as the price was jaw-droppingly expensive ! For the price of a simple treatment here, I could afford 3-4 similar treatments at Bali which is no less professional than here, I believe.

Another downside of PLR was the occasionally long waiting time of the shuttle van for travelling from a point to another i.e. between PLR and Emerald Bay or Restaurants (Uncle Lim's or Fisherman's Cove). I would recommend more shuttle vans to run during peak hour i.e. sunset evening at Emerald Bay and dinner time.

My wife and I loved the idea of PLR which allows wild animals to roam freely in the island. We saw many hornbills, a few monitor lizards, monkeys and even peacocks ! Those peacocks even joined hotel guests for breakfast at Feast Village, very entertaining ! The staffs were very friendly and helpful, no question about their hospitality, one of the best I have even come across. Another pleasant surprise was the exquisite towel art (2 towels folded into 2 kissing swans forming a heart shape in-between) placed at the tub on the night of our wedding anniversary coupled with flower petals prepared in the tub for a romantic soak. My wife was completely delighted by this arrangement and it was truly a memorable one.

Check out was efficient and again, transfer of luggage bag from your room all the way to loading at jetty and back to the arrival lounge was handled by their staffs. We just need to collect it at the arrival/waiting lounge at Lumut.

All in all, we are very satisfied with PLR and will definitely return if we are looking for a short breakaway since it is merely a 3.5 hours drive from Kuala Lumpur.

Room Tip: Arrive on weekdays and ask for room upgrade, you will find that it is easier to be upgraded on weekdays. Bring along insect repellant too !
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and thank you for taking the time to share a detailed experience of your recent stay. I am delighted to note that you had realised your dream at the "hidden gem to rejuvenate mind, body and soul". I have also taken note of your comments for improvement and will work together with our various departments concerned to make it an even more inspirational stay on your next visit.

Reviewed July 14, 2011

My wife and I spent a week at Pangkor Laut in early July 2011. The transfer from KL airport was 4 hours which was longer than we thought, but very comfortable (arranged through Trail Finders). Apparently, a rival hotel group used to run a flight to the nearby Pangkor airport but stopped it last year, leaving the airport derelict. Car and speedboat is now the only way to get there.

The accommodation was fantastic ! We stayed in a beach villa which had a super-king sized bed, a dressing area with plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, and a bathroom area with two sinks, a large shower, and a toilet. There was also an outside sunken bath. Heavenly !

The service throughout our stay was amazing - second to none. The staff were super-friendly and could not do enough to make us comfortable. The room boy was fantastic, spotting the travel iron and arranging for an iron and ironing board during the first few days of our stay. He even made a couple of dogs from towels and left them to greet us one evening, although we never worked out how he knew we had two dogs back home. The thought that he had browsed the photos on my iPad was too weird to contemplate so we put it down to coincidence.

There were two things, however, that really put a dampener on our stay.

Firstly, there were lot of families and large groups of people at the resort. The groups made the restaurants noisy at night and spoiled the romantic ambience that the resort had tried so hard to create. The families did similar as there always appeared to be a vocal child not far away in any of the restaurants, and on occasion by the pool although most families seemed to choose the beach as the sunbathing destination of choice, much to our relief ! The low points where when a Japanese family were put in the room next to us for one night, allowing their three young children and nanny (!) to run around on the hardwood floors at 7am, and the day an Irish family of nine took up the beds next to us at the pool and started firing water pistols as I read my e-book - iPads and water don't mix well !

Secondly, and most disappointingly, was the price of the food on the island which was not so much expensive as it was outright piracy ! As a captive audience, you have no choice other than to eat at the 3 restaurants available at the resort, which range from very expensive to completely outrageous. The food at Feast Village is the least expensive and we ate there 5 out of 7 nights. However, starters will average around £10, a Nasi Goreng (local fried rice dish) will cost about £20, and the seafood pasta will set you back about £40. The Chinese restaurant, Uncle Lim's, is average at best and definitely not as good as our local takeaway. An average bill for a large starter (for two), two main courses, and a bottle of wine was in excess of £100 (the wine was £30 of the bill). Fishermans Cove is the "fine dining" experience available to guests, and serves mainly seafood dishes. We didn't eat here due to the prices as we spotted a Sea Bass on offer for £70 on the way back from the Spa one evening. Don't get me wrong, my wife and I are fortunate, live a charmed existence, and occasionally eat at fine restaurants where you get what you pay for. This is not the case with any of the restaurants at Pangkor Laut. Alcohol will always be expensive in Muslim countries so you can't take that into account, but there is no excuse other than profiteering for the food prices on the island. We spent 3 days in KL after Pangkor Laut and paid a third of the price for food on average.

All-in-all, we enjoyed our stay on Pangkor Laut, but the high food prices and presence of families and large groups spoiled our stay and would make us think twice about returning.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for !
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GaryDJames

Thank you for your feedback. I am deligthed to note that you enjoyed your stay and that the service you received was second to none. Towel origami is one of the special features which our housekeepers are trained in and they are able to make various animal forms, therefore the co-incidence. I have also noted your feedback on areas for improvement and rest assured that we will be following-up on the details highlighted. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Pangkor Laut Resort in the near future.