“Yum yum!”

Ranked #33 of 712 Restaurants in Ipoh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2019 via mobile

Try the black pepper ostrich! It is the best thing I've had during my visit to Malaysia! Not to be missed! It's worth flying back to Malaysia just for this dish! ❤ The black pepper chicken and yum yum egg were very good, too.

Date of visit: July 2019
1  Thank 848nancyl
Write a reviewReviews (116)

Reviewed June 24, 2019

As I left for the lecture on Saturday afternoon I instructed Mallini to surf the net and come up with a good restaurant for us to go for dinner. She noted that the Yum Yum Restaurant at5, Persiaran Greenhill had come highly recommended – we were to find out that my daughter had struck gold !! It was Saturday night and parking was horrendous !! We circled like hungry wolves and finally found a legal parking spot 2 blocks away. We had to walk up some dark alleys to get to the restaurant but it was to be worth our effort. Next hurdle – the restaurant was packed to the hilt and we had to wait quite awhile to get a table. All our efforts proved worthwhile. Though they were super busy the waiters were unfazed and served us with a smile. We ordered Nonya Curry Fish ( it was pomfret and tasted superb – fine soft flesh in nonya curry with ladies fingers and long beans ), mint butter prawns ( the prawns were fresh and medium sized but I did not like the preparation – too much mint for my taste ), chicken baked in pandan leaves ( very tasty ) kangkong belachan (superb, tender young kangkong leaves and very little stalks unlike other eateries) and bean sprouts (another superb preparation – the bean sprouts were cooked just right with salted fish and were crunchy) – we felt stuffed especially so with the durians we had had for brunch. We decided to return for lunch on Sunday before we returned to PJ. I got a chance to have a little chat with the proprietor – a gentleman who appeared to be very healthy in his 70s. He told me the restaurant was a family run business that had been around since 1991. Receipes were hand me downs from his parents. It was a fusion of hokkien. Thai and nonya dishes. I was very taken by the beautiful décor in the restaurant – many beautiful dresses from yester years framed and hung up on the walls, paintings, statues of Chinese Goddesses as well as an exhibition of coal fire irons from another generation – he told me that this was the work of his son who had studied interior decoration in Japan (there was a certificate carved in wood with Japanese letterings attesting to his skills hung up on the wall ).
For our Sunday lunch Mallini ordered Pomfret steamed in ginger and lime sauce ( another excellent preparation ) , fried chicken ( done just right and eaten hot the skin was very crispy, the meat well cooked but soft and juicy, but I would have preferred the pandan leaf chicken we had the previous night ), nonya curry prawns ( excellent and definitely better than the mint prawns the previous night ), kangkong belachan and bean sprouts again – as usual my daughter’s eyes were bigger than her stomach and we had to pack back half the fish and vegetables for dinner at home.
Yum Yum restaurant lived up to its name – we are already making plans to drive up from PJ for dinner spend the night in Ipoh and return the next morning to PJ ( if we are not tempted to stay on for lunch !! ).

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank Kannan P
Reviewed May 30, 2019 via mobile

Do try their Delicious assam fish head! We love it and will definitely recommend to those who comes to ipoh. All other dishes that we ordered were also v good.

Date of visit: April 2019
3  Thank Johnstanno
Reviewed May 20, 2019 via mobile

Food tasty, staff friendly and efficient and ambiance excellent. Eclectic collection of old Ipoh artefacts.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank tonyhJ9770AY
Reviewed May 18, 2019 via mobile

My family and I called to book for a table. Reaching the restaurant 20mins later, the owner and a waitress confirmed our table.

However after 5-10mins before browsing through the menu, we were asked to leave from the table for there’s a family who booked a few days in advance. No assumption made, we just leave the restaurant.

But left with confusion. Management needs to be improved to sustain the business longer.

Date of visit: May 2019