“Exactly as described”

Indulgence Living (and Restaurant)
Ranked #27 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Yorkshire
“Exactly as described”
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Stumbled across this hotel by accident when we were looking for a place to stay in Ipoh. All the reviews we read on Trip Advisor gave us the confidence to go ahead and book this hotel for 2 nights. It was probably one of the best highlights of our stay in Malaysia. We booked 2 interconnecting rooms as we have 2 older children (20 & 17). The rooms we stayed in were Ildi and May-suet. They were both exquisite rooms, very classily furnished and spotless.

The hotel had a very personal feel to it and the staff were very inviting, friendly and helpful. They even sent the chef out to pick us up from the Ipoh train station as there were no taxis running that evening. The food was very well presented & prepared with unusual but tasty combinations.

You don't come across too many hotels giving this sort of service. We would certainly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Ipoh, and we will be back Jessie!.
Mike & Maria

• Liked — Good surroundings, good food, excellent staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank ExMalaysian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
france
Reviewed August 17, 2008

A very nice and confortable hotel, the rooms are in the back, so nonoise from the road.
perfect place to stay in Ipoh.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank ericFrance
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 18, 2008

With only 6 rooms, this hotel (a 2-storey colonial house) comes close to having a feeling that you ARE at home. I felt like coming home, rather than a hotel. I will definitely go back there and also strongly recommend it to everyone.

Room -
Each room has a separate theme. I stayed in the room called Tzarrah -- Moroccan theme. It was fabulous -- tastefully opulent. You feel as if you have left Malaysia and entered Morocco. The amount of thinking that has gone in the designing of the room was amazing. Egs: the bathtub had a padding, a sort of a head rest, so that you dont knock you head against the tub. Next to it were 2 bottles of bath bubbles and separate towels. I have stayed in numerous hotels and all of them put the bath bubbles and towels elsewhere.
My room had a walk-in wardrobe. There was a day bed by the window where you can daydream. The carpets, the wallpaper, the furniture were so exotic. I trully felt rested in my room. My friends, who were staying in an another hotel, were seething with jealousy when they saw my room.

Food -
The desserts are to die for. I think I overdid it on one of the nights -- I had 2 cakes with wine. When I arrived, I had delicious desserts waiting for me. I had sumptious breakfast and lunch in the hotel itself and it was exquisite. The curried scramble eggs were so yummy. Although it was not an item in what I ordered, the people were very accommodating.

Staff -
There so sweet, friendly and helpful. I felt being treated like a family member rather than a guest. All my slightest needs were well taken care of. They even stayed up till 5 in the morning chatting with me!!

Verandah -
This was my fav part. It was simple with a fountain and 2 deck chairs near it. It was so nice reading a book at 4 in the afternoon. Although located next to a main road, it wasn't noisy at all.

Living area -
This felt like my home. On one of the evenings, my friends and I gathered there to spend a lovely time. I was sitting on a comfy carpet while my friends were on the sofa. We refused to go out as we were so comfortable sitting there.

• Liked — The comfortable room
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank sheosrai
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 5, 2008

I have traveled to Ipoh on business for the past two years & have eaten at Indulgence Restaurant numerous times due to the outstanding food & service. I was informed earlier in the year that six rooms are now available, so took the opportunity to stay for 3 weeks in March. I travel world-wide & generally stay in mid- priced chain hotels that are usually very good but nothing memorable. I have to say that Indulgence Hotel is one of the best places I have stayed anywhere in the world & in a word, EXCELLENT. The six rooms are each tastefully decorated in a different theme with no expense spared on the 'genuine' furniture. As I booked with just one day's notice (I had to check out of another Ipoh hotel in a hurry due to the 'on-going' renovations that have taken more than two years so far), I was moved between four different rooms during the three weeks & enjoyed each one. The rooms & bathrooms are kept super clean which cannot be said for other hotels in the area where I've stayed. Indulgence is the perfect place to return to relax after a tough day. The only downside that I could think of is that the restaurant is closed Mondays & Tuesdays so you have to go elsewhere to eat dinner but this says it all - I would eat at the restaurant every night if I could as the food is just so great. Breakfast however is available every day. I became friendly with the staff during my stay which just added to the enjoyment. Indulgence Restaurant & Living is a credit to Julie (owner), David (head chef), Jessie (manager) & all the staff. I have recommended this place to my company as THE place stay when in Ipoh & would have no problem in recommending it to anyone else for business or pleasure. I am looking forward to my trip next to Ipoh & will certainly be staying here again!

• Liked — Everything except the restaurant is closed Mondays & Tuesdays for dinner (open for breakfast)
  • Disliked — Nothing except book early to ensure you don't miss out due to limited rooms!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank HowdyH
London
Reviewed April 20, 2008

We recently stayed at Indulgence for 4nights, we had the May Suet room. The service is fantastic, though, sometimes too attentive, if that's a fault.
It is certainly a place that I would re-visit again and again. This is the best place in Ipoh, though, its expensive by Ipoh standards. Such equisite service and fantastically appointed room, well, it is an indulgence after all.

• Liked — the rooms and service
  • Disliked — the over attentiveness
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank PrimroseHill219
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 9, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed one night at Indulgence, and ate at the restaurant below for dinner and breakfast.

We had the Thai-styled room, Kinnaree, which was thoughtfully styled in the popular dark-wood Asian style, without being too outre. The beds were very comfortable, although the pillows a bit soft -- we were too lazy to ask for firmer ones. The large flat-screen tv with satelite was a surprise. The mini-fridge was stocked with complimentary Evian, renewed a few times during our stay. The bathroom was very relaxing, with complementary shades of pale green, with shining white and stainless steel fixtures. The wardrobe between the bedroom and the bathroom that could be accessed from both sides was a special touch, as were the waffle-weave bathrobes contained within. Towels very fluffy. The rain shower -- well, I never wanted to get out. Not stingy with the hot water. Our window looked onto a huge fruiting tree covered in birds.

We glanced in at the Beverly suite next door and it seemed as promised -- very English country house. The upstairs lounge was furnished stylishly and ecclectically -- cut-outs of birds along the wall, and an eerie wooden face carved from the roots of a lychee tree. No swimming pool, but there are wooden chaises lounge for sunbathing on the upstairs deck, next to a water feature.

The staff were extremely hospitable and accommodating. We arrived in a downpour and were met by the nephew of the owner bearing large umbrellas and Australian cheekiness. Check in was quick and easy (why is it ever otherwise?). A basket of complimentary tidbits from the restaurant downstairs had been provided -- yummy chocolate brownie square. At 3pm, the restaurant was full of families having afternoon tea. When we returned for dinner at 8pm, it was still crowded, and we realised we were slightly overdressed. Despite the quality of the menu, the ambience is more bistro than white-tablecloth. The menu itself, and the daily specials, took a long time to, ahem, digest. As it changes every May, it doesn't really help to recommend, but the black tomato soup of the day was delicious, as was the lamb sausage and haloumi salad. Scallops grilled to perfection and a beautifully balanced smoked chicken and kumara pasta completed the main course. The only detractions was the strong peach flavour in the fig dessert which completely overwhelmed the fig, and the staff who were almost too efficient -- they didn't give us enough time to mull over our wine before bringing in the next course.

The owner came and talked to us over breakfast and recommended a complimentary caramel latte for my partner. The best feature of the Boxy breakfast is the creamy mushrooms stuffed into the toasted bread.

Check out was also quick and easy, and the bill held no hidden surprises.

As a short stay ex-KL, I think this is a lovely and special place, and certainly makes a welcome change from the rest of the Ipoh hotels.

• Liked — Everything thoughtfully chosen and styled.
  • Disliked — Restaurant possibly better value than hotel.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChickenRiceHunter
Singapore
Reviewed January 12, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this boutique hotel over the recent Christmas holidays. Our room (known as 'Modern') was tastefully and lavishly decorated. The pieces of furniture in the room, from the settee to the bedside table, were classy and look expensive. The double bed in particular, with its thick mattress, was wonderfully firm. The bathroom was beautifully done up and had all the little modern conveniences. With all the rooms located at the back of this beautifully restored bungalow, our three nights were blissfully quiet.

• Liked — Classy, comfortable and quiet.
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family