“Hit and miss”

Indulgence Living (and Restaurant)
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Reviewed April 13, 2012

First view as we drove up to the hotel was promising as the hotel is a lovely English colonial mansion. Unfortunately the interior and renovations did not do justice to the lovely building. The Beverly suite was confusing to my English husband who could not associate with the faux feel of room.

As for the food, it was a little off the mark. We found the quality of the breakfast sausage more mass market standard. The grilled mushroom was lovely though.

Overall not an experience we would repeat.

• Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank taesp

Reviewed April 8, 2012

I visited this hotel since their guest room were so cute on their home page.
When I arrive the hotel, I was so happy. Everything is cuter than pictures. And staffs are very nice, and food are good. I really enjoyed this hotel.
If I have next chance to visit Ipoh, I will chose this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ysugiura
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Indulgence of the highest order in Malaysia.
This boutique hotel in the middle of Malaysia is stunning set in the grounds of an old colonial white painted house. Each room individual decorated with a different theme Country English, Indian, Chinese, Moroccan etc the chic style presentation and minute detail is down to the passion of the sole Owner and Chef patron Julie Song. An impressive Lady in her own right.

Malaysia's answer to a Michelin Celebrity Chef most defiantly, winning business woman of the year several times and a host of other accolades. Julie is a very talented & creative Chef who thinks out of the box with an ability to cook only surpassed by those she admirers in the West and in Australia.

We stayed at Ipoh Indulgence boutique hotel with its chic restaurant for 3 nights and the travelled to the island of Lankawi afterthen returning for another 2 nights before going on to KL.The food was sublime with fusions of modern European food & Asian Styles, the ingredients a challenge to obtain alone. Her staff are happy and obliging the service attentive and the hotel and downstairs restaurant that seats about 80 covers plus was buzzing with the chitter chatter of guests all ages tacking in the trendy relaxed Café Del Mear Style atmosphere of Indulgence & sophistication. The Restaurant is closed on Monday & Tuesday (But Not The Hotel) This is when Julie manages her delicatessens called Allegra another new project she is developing. Julie Song heads her own kitchen, cooks and bakes of the bread and the cakes for both businesses then trains her & motivates her team of hand picked Chefs each as focused as herself. We cannot wait to return. I take my hat off to this Lady.

We cannot recommend this experience enough to anyone travelling through this lovely country.

Room Tip: www.indulgencerestaurant.com Any thing you want can be arranged for you all you need to do is ask
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TimeTraveler1st
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Ipoh is my hometown and each time I return it's local hawker food for me for which Ipoh is famed. This time, however, because it was my husband's birthday I checked us into Indulgence as a treat for him especially as we had heard so much about Julie Song's much-vaunted culinary skills. They could only accommodate us for that one Monday night when we had wanted two, which was just as well because when we arrived, we found to our dismay and shock, that the restaurant was closed! No wonder they had a "closed" sign at the entrance which I obligingly turned around for them to "Open" thinking they had made a mistake. Whilst the hotel was operational, we learnt from Amrit, the front office manager that the restaurant closes on Mondays and Tuesdays. We had not been made aware of this when we made our booking, nor was it carried in the confirmation email we received. Neither was their website accessible when we were looking at booking the hotel (and it continued to be so even after we had told them over the phone), so we were completely in the dark about the restaurant closure until our arrival. I guess regulars would know about this practice, and probably because of this, only 3 of the 7 rooms were occupied that night that we were there.

We had opted for the Chinoiserie room, charmingly named May Suet, and it was authentically and tastefully decorated although I found it too dark for my liking. There is no doubting Julie's aesthetic eye not just in the individually-themed rooms, but also the living areas, making it a hotel with character. However, with the restaurant closed, and only one staff (besides the cleaner) doubling up as front-desk manager and valet, the whole place had a desolate feel about it. We had invited guests to join us for tea and supper there, which plans we had to adjust accordingly. Because of the heavy rains that afternoon, we decided to stay put for tea with the couple we had invited, even if it meant literally just tea and a couple of cookies, thanks to Amrit who obligingly laid a table for us in the restaurant.

We did get to enjoy the breakfast there, with good coffee, freshly-squeezed juice and choices which were quite original and creatively presented. I did wish, however, that they had a local fusion item on offer.

To my mind, Indulgence is more of a restaurant with rooms attached to it, not a hotel which happens to boast of a fine dining restaurant. There is a difference, and the difference is that you make sure you go there to stay only when the restaurant is operational because it is the restaurant that makes the hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are individually themed so they each would have their own character. You would want...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lilacfields
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Great food, immaculate themed rooms and a truly indulgent experience

Room Tip: All rooms different themes, we had the Chinese room, our friends the contemporary both were excellen...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CaledonEcosse
Reviewed January 3, 2012

It has been two years since I stayed at Indulgence Living and sampled the wonderful cuisine of Julie Song ..... two years too long indeed. I returned over New Year for a one night stay and was pleased to see that it was the same warm and homely atmosphere with ever helpful and pleasant staff. I stayed in a different room from the previous visit - with every room being completely different in design and genre it provides a "new" experience. 5 ***** stars.
Now on to the food ... the main reason for a visit to Indulgence. The choice, quality and novelty of each dish is outstanding and the breakfast menu offers up a range of dishes you will not see anywhere else. 5 ***** stars again Julie.
Living in KL the drive to Ipoh is around 2 hours but as I have told many people it is worth the drive simply for the food.
I will be returning soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Stuart T
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Travelled back to my hometown Ipoh in Dec 2010. I'm proud that there is such a high quality hotel in little Ipoh. We took the Beverly room... it was so pretty. And yes, unfortunately they are not kid-friendly. The staff bluntly told us that they do not provide extra beds so the four of us (2 adults, 2 kids) squeezed into a single king-sized bed. Perhaps it's a conscious decision by the owner that their target clientele should be just business/couples.

Yet, they were kind enough to specially cook breakfast for my 1-year old son, at no extra cost. Unfortunately again... the carrots were too hard. Maybe the chef has no kids, so he/she did not realise that kid-friendly food should be softer.

Would I stay there again? Yes, only if I've no kids with me. Otherwise, it's not worth paying the high price for a beautiful room which my family cannot fully enjoy in comfort.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family