“Return to Indulgence”

Indulgence Living (and Restaurant)
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Reviewed January 3, 2012

It has been two years since I stayed at Indulgence Living and sampled the wonderful cuisine of Julie Song ..... two years too long indeed. I returned over New Year for a one night stay and was pleased to see that it was the same warm and homely atmosphere with ever helpful and pleasant staff. I stayed in a different room from the previous visit - with every room being completely different in design and genre it provides a "new" experience. 5 ***** stars.
Now on to the food ... the main reason for a visit to Indulgence. The choice, quality and novelty of each dish is outstanding and the breakfast menu offers up a range of dishes you will not see anywhere else. 5 ***** stars again Julie.
Living in KL the drive to Ipoh is around 2 hours but as I have told many people it is worth the drive simply for the food.
I will be returning soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Stuart T

Reviewed December 11, 2011

Travelled back to my hometown Ipoh in Dec 2010. I'm proud that there is such a high quality hotel in little Ipoh. We took the Beverly room... it was so pretty. And yes, unfortunately they are not kid-friendly. The staff bluntly told us that they do not provide extra beds so the four of us (2 adults, 2 kids) squeezed into a single king-sized bed. Perhaps it's a conscious decision by the owner that their target clientele should be just business/couples.

Yet, they were kind enough to specially cook breakfast for my 1-year old son, at no extra cost. Unfortunately again... the carrots were too hard. Maybe the chef has no kids, so he/she did not realise that kid-friendly food should be softer.

Would I stay there again? Yes, only if I've no kids with me. Otherwise, it's not worth paying the high price for a beautiful room which my family cannot fully enjoy in comfort.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank domdyjam
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I've been to Ipoh many times and Indulgence is probably the only Hotel that is at international standards and deliver the promise.

Staff is nice, and service is good, rooms are nicely decorated and one different from another. I tried 4 of them in my last visits and I'm very happy with all.

The English Style room has a nice bathtub, a very large seating area and wonderful bed.

Food in the restaurant is great. The only sad part is that they do not offer a real buffet breakfast, but of course with a very limited number of rooms is very difficult.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank AGADOTTI
Reviewed September 21, 2011

My husband and I chanced upon this hotel by going through the reviews on tripadvisor. Thanks to those who wrote reviews about their travels and post on tripadvisor :) My husband's family originated from the outskirts of Ipoh. All these years we always have problem finding ideal accommodation when we visit ipoh. This has made us rather unwilling to spend overnight trips in Ipoh. Not anymore with Indulgence! Price-wise - very dear by ipoh standards. But we enjoyed our stay there. We spent one night there only. Wished we had extended our stay. Instead we tried Clearwater sanctuary which was disappointing and a far cry from Indulgence (for the same price).
Indulgence has only 7 rooms/suites (I think) . Each has a different deco. We stayed at May Suet ( Chinese) . Rooms are small but decent size for a couple. Quiet getaway even for locals. Beds - comfortable. Bathrooms - clean nice and practical. My only suggestion is for them to have a couch in that room. Food - western cuisine. Didn't have dinner there. We wanted to try the local fare in Ipon The cakes and pastries was delicious. Wish I had space in my stomach for more ! Breakfast was included. Very sumptous and unusual menu for breakfast. Will definitely go back for breakfast. Staff was very helpful and polite. But they seem to be short-handed especially for dinner. We can see that they are trying their utmost to serve every customer well that night. Breakfast the next day was quieter (being a public holiday in Ipoh). They were literally waiting upon us and some other customers; at our beck and call. I ordered an extra pot of tea. They didn't even charge us. What a nice gesture ! Location - need a car; but ample parking. Hotel surrounding - green and serene though it is quite near the busy part of the city. I will definitely go again if I just want a quiet weekend away from the hustle and bustle of Kuala Lumpur

Room Tip: Ask what is inclusive in the price. Not that they don't reveal but they assume we know. Our room...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed here for 1 night with my mom after hearing great reviews about the place on Tripadvisor. The last time I was in Ipoh I stayed at Impiana - which wasnt a BAD place - it was just very boring and chain-hotelesque.

I am happy to report that I had a great time at Indulgence. Contrary to the previous reviewer, I found the customer service to be top notch. They remembered my name, all my requests from 1 month before check-in and were very helpful in extra things like helping me assemble my bicycle for one! :)

If you have a car, its a straight road from the Tambun Exit. It is also relatively easy to find - its located next to the KPJ Specialist Hospital in Ipoh so all you have to do is follow the KPJ Specialist Hospital signage all over town to find the hotel again! Its also close to the old town in Ipoh and very acessible from the toll plaza.

I stayed on a weekend so the place was buzzing with people coming in and out of the restaurant. The rooms were cute and nicely furnished with great touches such as the mini-desserts, Evian bottled water, weighing scale (!!) and a full set of complimentary toiletries. The breakfast was really special - my mom had the pancakes with banana and it was so soft, like clouds!

happy to recommend it to others. While I feel that the price can be lowered just a bit, I will most definitely stay here again when I am in Ipoh.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lavy81
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Although this place sets out to be a chic boutique style hotel with well designed rooms...it falls flat on one of the most important aspects....it's service.

We were met with a stuck up arrogance by the staff, that left a bad taste for the luckily only one night we had booked there.

Located on a busy road you will be totally dependent on taking taxis everywhere...for which you will struggle to get back to the hotel as most taxi drivers seemed to have never heard of the hotel.

Rooms are located above a restaurant so much of the building smells that way too.

The included breakfast was about the only good thing going for this place.

Restaurant is closed Monday and Tuesday, so if you stay on these days the whole place will feel deserted and eerie.

• Stayed: September 2011
10  Thank bmwoolley
Reviewed September 12, 2011

tks guys for the wonderful reviews and I am thinking of staying but cldn't find the rates or any 3rd party booking.. guess i overlook the link on their webpage and finally got it after sending them an email (indulge@indulgencerestaurant.com).. so just sharing..

the URL is : http://www.indulgencerestaurant.com/
and you can find their room rates under 'Living' and 'Room Rates' (center below), not very visible..

current rates shown are RM 420++ for ildr, kinnaree, giulianna and may-suet rooms and RM 620++ for tzarrah, beverly and qatrynka rooms.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family