“Old but cool.”

Ranked #55 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Old but cool.”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

My family were here for just one night. It was clean and comfortable, furnishings were a bit old but the important things such as bed, bath were upgraded well.

Our room overlooks the racetracks and was real serene.

We stayed in a premier deluxe room which gave us much space in the room with a king bed. We were disappointed that there were no handtowels, floor towels. They did not provide bottle water unless you purchase from he hotel down at the bistro.

The swimming pool looked like they were not cleaned for a week. It was just a basic pool.

Parking was easy.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Indonesian first
Ipoh, Malaysia
Reviewed November 24, 2011

the rooms all have a view , either you have the background of the limestones and the turf club or you have the city with the limestones. My room was spacious, all basic amenities were there and access to the city and shopping centers were nearby.
I had dinner at the bistro and the salmon was absolutely fantastic. The bistro is a really nice place to chill and they had wi-fi. Except for the room service which was delayed, i pretty much had a great time for the price i paid.
I recommend a poolside barbecue on weekends, would be great! Having stayed in various hotels in ipoh on my business trips, i would recommend this hotel, to any business travelers.

Room Tip: 316 was the room i stayed in... (16) view is good.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jameskg
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I am on holiday at the moment and have always loved coming back to Ipoh and Impiana is where I always end up staying. I was pleasantly surprised to see the newly refurbished hotel. It was as if a breath of fresh air swept thru it. I love to eat and I found the Deli absolutely delightful! Their croissant was lovely and I simply loved the shortbread cookie they serve with the coffee. It melts in the mouth. But I was so disappointed -- when they won't sell the whole jar to me :)
The PR Manager Ms Anne Das was very helpful and showed us around. (I was having a nice relaxing brunch with some expat lady friends and she cheerfully offered to show us around)
If you want authentic Malay food, the Terrace serves quite the buffet. Value for money. I haven't experienced the Bistro dining yet, and I will do so for sure.

Even the pool area is much nicer now, I can sit by the pool with a book, and get some tan, happily, undisturbed!

Being back in Ipoh has made it all worthwhile with the new look this hotel has now! Good job Impiana!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank sunlover2705
Reviewed November 17, 2011

stayed for a night. workers were friendly and polite. pool site were not very pleasant as i guess was under repair... the jacuzzi was not working. but i guess they should add up more variety of food for menus.. and the gym equipment were out of order, need to do something abt that..
above all the hotel is clean. great location and quiet. good enough for family vacation for a short stay

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Rooms have been refurbished, however, doors to the room can be improved as the alignment is tight, need to slam the door to be fully closed. Tv reception only good in one out of the three room, bad in rooms from 726-730 area. Swimming pool from the view looks horrendous as its moldy from the top view, resulting us not able to use the facilities. Gym is good, however a little small.

2 Thank AiLinc
MarkImpianaIpoh, General Manager at Impiana Hotel Ipoh, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Dear AiLinc, Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Ipoh. Guest feedback is always welcomed and our high score on location (4 points) and cleanliness (4 points) are useful for other travelers to note together with the confirmation of refurbishment. The Impiana has invested a great deal on improvements over the last two years but signs of an old building still remain. The pool tile stain is one of them but I can assure you that the water is clean and chlorinated daily. The TV reception does seem to fluctuate and by calling our dedicated extension 1 at any time during your stay could have resolved that. The good news is that we now carry BBC, Nickelodeon and Discovery channels which seem to be popular amongst travelers. Once again, thank you for your review and it would be great to meet with you on your next visit!
Singapore
Reviewed October 23, 2011

This is a place that is overpriced and not worth the money. We stayed when they were in the midst of renovations. They put us right on a floor where half the rooms were being refurbished. The smell of thinner was so strong that our eyes watered - despite closing the door. We asked for a change of room but there were none. The room they showed in the website was also NOT what we finally got. I understand that the hotel was in the midst of being refurbished but it should have been made clear, at the prices we were charged, the sort of rooms we were getting. Certainly for that price, it was not worth it. When we changed rooms the next day, the 'new rooms' were no better. Any refurbishment was purely cosmetic. The sliding wardrobe door even came off the rails when we tried to open it. The bathrooms were dank and mouldy. I have to say the front office executive, a Chinese guy, tried his best but from the rest of the staff, there was only indifferent service. This place is not worth the price it is trying to charge. We would never stay here again. It's not as if this was right in the heart of town either - you had to have a car in order to get into town. On subsequent visits we stayed at the Ritz Garden in Ipoh city and while this was a small 2-star place, it is much more value for money.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank chongbrood
MarkImpianaIpoh, General Manager at Impiana Hotel Ipoh, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Thank you chongbrood from Singapore for your review posted 23 October 2011. Unfortunately you stayed way back in December 2010 before any of the hotel renovation works which were completed in September 2011. I do hope that you will have the chance to visit The Impiana Hotel Ipoh soon for a whole new experience. If travelling on business please check in to our Club floor and experience all its business class benefits. If bringing the family, we have a great pool and 24 hour dining and lots of outdoor activities in Ipoh such as caving, a water theme park, white water river rafting (all year round) and great Ipoh food! See you again soon.

Travelers are raving about these Ipoh hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I have been staying here regularly over the past two years as I travel to Ipoh on Business. Two years ago I stayed simply because it was the least bad hotel in the city ( and I tried the others!). However over recent nonths it has really improved and is now reaching an acceptable standard.
In its previous existence as the Causarina it had really reached rockbottom and haeing become the Impiana initially there was little difference. six months ago I woudn't have disagreed with the negative reports here. However some of the rooms ( 7th floor) have now been fully rather than parttially refurbished, The reception staff have been replaced by a new team who are far more professional and well-managed, the quality and presentation of the breakfast buffet has improved and recently housekeeping which was always a weak point has also got a lot better( A new manager, I guess).
A "club" class has been introduced and from my experience is worth the extra payment, Sadly the towels are still various shades of grey and the swimming pool still needs attention.
Overall it now provides an acceptable experience for an overnight leisure stay or a longer business visit.

Room Tip: Ask frot eh seventh floor
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business