“Massive hygiene problem!”

Ranked #49 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Essex, UK
“Massive hygiene problem!”
Reviewed June 14, 2006

I do not know where to start with how awful this hotel is so I'll start at the beginning...
My girlfriend and I along with another couple reserved two rooms for three nights at the "Heritage", as we were told it is one of the nicer hotels which is reasonably priced in the area. We were also able to get a substantial discount and a due to some perks.
On arrival the lobby is large, bland but looked clean so I thought it should be a good stay and value for money. Booking in was easy, and so was getting to the rooms but that is as good as it gets because that is when the horror began...
When I got into my room the first thing I noticed was a horrible musty smell. The second thing that got my attention was the small group of ants along a the small table next to the television where I put my suitcase. Straight away we felt dirty and itchy, and wanted to get out of the room. And this is even before I took at the rest of the room which was large but very shabby and dark. Carpets and bed coverings looked old and very worn out, the stains on them did not make them look very inviting either (we did not even sit on it!). By this time I was too scared to look in the bathroom and believe me I did not spend very long in there. Either the shower curtain was supposed to an interesting mix of white, green and black colours or it was very mouldy, your guess is as good as mine. Sure enough I found the other couple in back in the hallway with the same complaints.
We all went back down to the lobby to complain about the state of the room and after some pursuading we were all upgraded to a deluxe room. These rooms are basically the same as the superior except the bathrooms did look cleaner, the bedrooms were brighter and the bedsheets were all cotton. My girlfriend and I had barely taken a look at the room when the couple came running into our room asking us to go next door to take a look at their bed. What I saw was shocking, right in the middle of the bed was a great big dirty moth and it had been there for so long that it had died (maybe it was waiting for room service). Surrounding it were a few smaller darker dots, but when I took a closer look the dots were ants going to and from the moth. I took a better look in my room and the result was the same minus the moth.
This time the manager was called to the room to take a look for herself and found it very difficult thinking of something to say to us. The manager said that she understands how shocked we were but our expectations were too high and that insects are expected in Malaysia. She did not have anything to say after we told her that we had just stayed in another hotel in Malaysia which was larger, cheaper and much cleaner.
The manager said that we could no longer be upgraded and even though we did not want to stay at the hotel any longer we agreed to go and take a look at another deluxe room, but this time the manager was present. We went straight to look at the bed and pulled the sheets back and found the sheets were stained light brown. The manager's reaction was "That cannot be cleaned", and then a couple of ants showed their head from under the pillow. That was it, we wanted to leave the room and the hotel. But not before I noticed a couple of ants on top of the kettle which I pointed out to the manager as I lifted it up, and revealed more than a handful of ants clustered on the table top. It did not take us very long to leave the room (manager included), get our bags and run for the hills.
After that it was relatively easy checking out, getting our money back and leaving a trail dust as we booked into a much cheaper, basic but cleaner hotel. The end.

• Stayed May 2006
12 Thank Porkychop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed April 3, 2006

I used to stay regularly at the Heritage a few years ago, and it was my favourite hotel in Ipoh. However, during my recent stay, I was appalled at the poor maintenance and generally shabby room. Also, the cigar and wine bar had been shut down, thus making it difficult to find a good place at the hotel to meet business associates. I will not stay at the Heritage again.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank dbasha

Travelers are raving about these Ipoh hotels