“Syuen in Ipoh”

Ranked #30 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
“Syuen in Ipoh”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for my niece's wedding in Ipoh recently...14 - 15 Sept 2013. At first I was apprehensive - to be honest, even the name was not exactly exciting.

But when you enter, you will find that it is a big hotel with a very spacious interior. Hints of colonial architecture were even seen upstairs from the very large lobby.

Checking in was a little slow though. We drove from KL and were exhausted and went to our respective rooms. What a pleasant sight.

In the lobby, a gentleman and a lady were so helpful ....I believe her name is Helen. They were both very polite and allow me to repeat, very helpful.

One of the first things I did was to check the bathroom. It was clean. So was the room. The only setback was the previous tenant probably left his/her cigarette on the bed ... they should have changed the bedsheets but it looked clean otherwise.

There is a safe box, a mini refrigerator and coffee and tea which I helped myself to immediately.

The TV on the wall was not working so I called for help and help came in about five minutes.Now, that's what I call service. Well, he actually gave me his remote!

The service overall was good. Smiling faces all around.

The management even extended our check-out time. This hotel, is twenty years old come October.

It was a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Whatever room you choose, book early please.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sadee_raghavan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We chose this hotel for its central location and value for money. We had taken the Junior Suite room which was located at the very end corner of our floor. The room was spacious with its own lounge sofa tv area separated with a door from the ensuite master bedroom. We had used a rollover bed for my daughter to occupy the lounge section which also came with its own toilet. This hotel provides exceptional value for money for its large selection of popular Ipoh hawker signature food and room rates however the swimming pool at the top floor could really do with an upgrade to attract kids and families to enjoy further. Next to the hotel is the large office of the Ipoh Local council and the public open space where public functions in Ipoh are regularly held over weekends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ipoh
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The room was clean and comfortable. The staffs were very prompt in their services. This was just amazing. Spacious rooms and the warmth and hospitality was just superb but however the restaurant is a place to consider... the staffs don't understand simple english and also can't understand what we are ordering... It was sad for such a good hotel to have this problem.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 27, 2013

While our upgraded room looks comfortably pleasant, the air-cond didn't work as it should. This also happened to another upgraded room where our friends were staying in. The mattress was hard to sleep on. The breakfast lacks variety. Only plus points are free WIFI in the room and a spacious bathtub.

Room Tip: The upgraded rooms are a safer bet than those which are yet to be upgraded.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed here on a family excursion up the West Coast of Malaysia, just to visit my Grandma's old hometown somewhere near Ipoh. We used Ipoh as base camp. The hotel itself probably looked grand and new when it was built somewhere in the early '70s, but it was definitely suffering from age and neglect over the years. The decor and the furnishing were heavy and drab.

The rooms themselves were clean and fairly standard. Not too well-appointed, but the beds were comfortable if you could look past the ageing bedposts. "Basic" might be a better descriptor. The toilets were fairly clean.

Don't bother with the "buffet" breakfast that they put on each morning. The food is terrible. The orange juice looked luminous (and ominous), the coffee was terrible (weird, considering Ipoh is famous for its Old Town White Coffee), and the food was almost unpalatable. Save yourself the agony, ask around town, and go head to where the locals go - for Ipoh Hor Fun and curry mee at one of the eating houses. Wash it down with an amazing cup of rich, black sweet coffee and you're good to go for the day.

Room Tip: I don't know - all the rooms appear to be equally drab.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank esquire84

Travelers are raving about these Ipoh hotels

Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I'm wishing we'd consulted trip advisor before staying here. A local friend recommended. We paid $100 US for a triple room. It is astonishing this hotel was built in 1993. The furnishings feel old and outdated. Some half-assed attempts at updating the finishings just make the room feel sad (example: decal flowers on the shower tile which are peeling away at the corners).

There is no ventilation in the bathroom and thus the entire room is moldy. My allergies triggered within 5 minutes. I was up at 5 am and had to leave the room so as to not wake everyone with my nose-blowing and sneezing.

If you have allergies, stay away. Next time we'll be staying at the Ipoh French Hotel. Apparently it is a third the price, cleaner and nicer.

Room Tip: ask for a room that comes with bathroom ventilation.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LauraReese
Klang, Malaysia
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was a bit apprehensive about this hotel after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor but booked a deluxe room because of its good location.
My wife & I spent 2 nights at this hotel. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable with a king size bed and a LCD TV (although I would have preferred either BBC World News or CNN instead of CNBC news channel). The bath was very clean with all the necessary amenities working.
The buffet breakfast was satisfactory. We did not get to have other meals at the hotel simply because there was so much cheaper choices at nearby restaurants and food stalls.
The limited services that we made use of were satisfactory.
I don't know if this is a 3 or 4 star hotel but I would rate it at somewhere in between and I have no regrets staying here.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 838.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family