“pork free but don't dare to try”

Uncle Albert's Traditional Fish and Chips
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
ipoh
“pork free but don't dare to try”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

its written pork free, and supposed to be suitable for muslim, somehow the alcohol advertisement is not very suitable for muslim. perhaps its an ideal place for couples or friends hang around place, but not for muslim families. maybe it never meant as an eatery place for muslim families.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank n_hisham1966
Liam H, Owner at Uncle Albert's Traditional Fish and Chips, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hi, yes we do not serve pork and advertise as a Pork Free restaurant. We do serve alcohol as it is very traditional to enjoy a beer while having fish and chips. This is common practice in Europe. I'm sorry you had a problem with this. Our food is our pride and all our dishes are served just as in England with fresh, tasty fish and homemade chips. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Bangkok, Thailand
“Love at first bite!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were hankering for a taste of "home" (his!) so we decided to try the fish & chips here. We heard quite a lot about this place from some friends who are foodies and they told us it's a definite YES. And they were right!
I love fish! Period! So I had a field day trying to pick what I should eat! Luckily on the day we were there, we were very fortunate to meet Maggie the co-owner of the shop (as she'd introduced herself to us) and made some recommendations on what we should have. We both wanted fish so I went for the Battered Cod and he decided on the Halibut. I requested to have an extra side of rocket salad with the balsamico dressing and he asked for extra chips, which btw, are thick cut and battered and golden fried to perfection! Both our meals came with soup (REALLY yummy and thick) - I had the potato, whilst he had the carrot - and garlic bread. Iced lemon tea also came with the meals!
The cod was amazing...fresh and succulent and just PERFECT. He enjoyed his Halibut (I took a bite - loved it!) and the battered chips the way a typical English fella would've eaten it - loads of vinegar! Ha! It was just the right size and portions so we were really happy with our meal! But when we saw the guy from the next booth eating skewered something (like a kebab) with fried rice, we asked Maggie what it was and she told us it was grilled chunks of monkfish and seafood, in a special marinade. We said what the heck and ordered that to share. It was delish! But we could not finish it (really! It was quite a large portion with 2 BBQ skewers of monkfish and seafood, and fried rice) so we had it packed to take home.
Me having a bit of a sweet tooth, decided to have a go at the orange butter crepe for dessert. It was heaven in every bite, I swear. So good with vanilla icecream. I probably screw my diet for the day but I didn't care. It's not everyday you find a place that has food you are traditionally accustomed to whilst growing up. Sort of like a piece of home but found abroad? Not sure if that made sense but oh well! We had a pint of Kilkenny each as well, and also had a nice chat with Maggie. Such an amazing woman with a delightful sense of humour, not to mention her passion for cooking.
All in all, an amazing place to enjoy some really good fish & chips, done JUST the way you remembered it! We will definitely be back to Unc Alberts for sure!

p.s. Ohh just need to mention that their WC is so clean that you could almost have a lie in in there haha it is THAT clean! Top points!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank sunlover2705
Liam H, Owner at Uncle Albert's Traditional Fish and Chips, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
We really appreciate you taking your time to write this review and for giving us such gracious comments. We strive not only to serve fresh, authentic food but that all of our customers enjoy their meal in an ambience created by our interior and of course our friendly staff and management. We also take pride in our cleanliness, I am glad you noticed this. We look forward to serving you again, it was a pleasure.
Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delightful Uncle Albert's!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

It's been a while since we've had fish and chips (Ipoh is in serious need of a good fish and chips restaurant).

I'll just say what I must: amazing menu, reasonably priced food, great atmosphere, the staff are wonderfully friendly.

I had the grilled salmon, with ratatouille and mashed potato. One word: heavenly. The salmon was succulent, creamy and cooked to perfection. Utterly decadent! The sides balanced the dish well.

I highly recommend Uncle Albert's, as it was a wonderful experience! We're planning to have dinner there again tomorrow!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank KevinLohx
Liam H, Owner at Uncle Albert's Traditional Fish and Chips, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Hi Kevin, I appreciate you taking the time to give us such comments. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our grilled salmon, we receive great comments about this dish. It is nice to see that you enjoyed our atmosphere and that our staff looked after you well. It was a pleasure to serve you and we hope to see you shortly.
Williamstown, Victoria, Australia
“Friday night fish n chips”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

In Ipoh for business looking for something to do and read the reviews and thought why not, back home in Melbourne Australia Friday night is fish n chip night. I was pleasantly surprised, my guest had the fried cod with mushy pea & chips and l the spicy prawns with rice both were delicious. They have a main course special as a promotion at present order any main and get a soup, a slice of garlic bread and ice cream to finish. With a couple of drinks bill was 111 ringot really good value.
Lovely Irish lass was running the place. Highly recommend this place

• Visited September 2013
Hi Michael, thank you for taking the time to write your review. Our spicy prawns is a popular dish here and we are glad you got to try it. I am glad to hear you were well looked after and I hope that you will visit us again next time you come to Ipoh.
“Seafood chowder!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I was in Ipoh on business,I was staying in I impiana hotel.went to greentown for dinner,and I discovered one fish restaurant named uncle Albert fish and chips.i had Battered Cod,it came with fresh potato soup and garlic bread.the fish is fresh and the taste simply the best and better then all the rest!!! I wish there was one in KL.

Visited June 2013
Hi Fazal, thank you very much for your review. I am happy to hear you availed of our promotion of FREE Homemade soup, garlic bread and ice lemon tea/ice cream. Our Batter cod is a speciality of ours and I appreciate your compliments on this dish. Hope to see you next time you come to Ipoh..