“Never on Sunday !”

Ipoh Downtown Hotel
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Reviewed July 10, 2014

No matter what, no matter for who, never breakfast on Sunday, also not for those with a booking "breakfast included" ! Nobody could explain why, also because of the language barrier. I call this an electro-electronic hotel. Upon check in, you will get a couple of electronic keys= to use the elevaatr, for the door, for the electricity...The first day my key did not work well in the elevator, the other days I acted, so that I could see the reception-girls running to help me...Upon check in you will be asked for a deposit of 100 RM, they wont give you a receipt, but you can trust them, they are honest people.
I have asked them which kind of toothbrush they used to clean the rooms, but theydid not lunderstand my humour...This is the best clelanedhotel during thirs Asia trip! I got room 321 which is without a window, but the advantaage is that daylight can not wake you up. No noise at all.Dont confuse the old town with downtown1
When you come to Ipoh by bus, they will drop you aat Bendahara and nobody knws where the hotel is...my taxi drive phoned his sister to be guided to the hotel !Dont ever think there is nothing to do in Ipoh, I was there during the opening of the murals in the old city, I bet you those murals will become famous in Asia and will get more tourists to the city.
To end with... the hotel is 5 minutes walk from the new Parade shopping mall, where you can get breakfast on Sunday. Huhu.

Room Tip: higher floor of course
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank 2jerome

Reviewed July 10, 2014

This hotel is located near several eateries for which Ipoh is well known for
The hotel's flyer shows a map and gives the time taken to walk to well known eateries.
When booking, ask for rooms away from the main road. The window panes are not double glazed and do not close well . So the noise from the main road is disturbing
We asked for a change of room also because the air conditioning was faulty and keeps making a noise

Room Tip: Do not choose rooms facing the main road. The noise from the traffice is disturbing
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank HedyTan
Reviewed June 7, 2014

(Stayed two nights, twin single room with rollaway)

I stayed at this property with two friends, we were travelling in a triplet so it was hard finding hotels in general with 3 beds or at least offer a rollaway. I booked this hotel through Booking.com and found the reviews to be a mix bag as similar to what you can find here.

The good thing about this hotel is that it is in the centre of Ipoh, you can walk to the food stalls around, grab a taxi and go to the area with night entertainment such as bars and of course catch a quick taxi to and from both the Ipoh train station, off the ETS from Kuala Lumpur, and the bus depots around such as Sri Maju, to go to Penang for example.

The hotel appeared to be on the budget side, but don't let the lobby fool you. There is a small convenience store in the lobby - but funnily closes quite early so not very convenient. The rooms themselves are of good quality, they appear relatively new, the beds are nice and comfortable and the TV is a flat screen with HDMI. We had a room on the lower floor and did not have any issues with the petrol station fumes as others have mentioned. The free WiFi was strong and available throughout the hotel, I was able to do work emails, files and upload large documents on holiday.

We had the breakfast buffet included in our room rate as with most people, but didn't use it for the two mornings we could have. On the last day I did grab a couple pieces of fruit before we left for the bus depot. The water dispenser on the ground floor was great as we didn't need to keep buying mineral water and was able to make a couple cups of 3-in-1 coffee with the hot water.

The staff are friendly and accommodating. They answered my question of booking a rollaway when I called prior to arriving. They were still doing training when we stayed, and were happy to tell us about Ipoh and even Penang as they were practising English. They were helpful in getting extra soap bars and even a couple plastic bags on request. There is a guard outside the hotel who was helpful in helping a friend park his car (for free) and of course calling a taxi for us when needed.

Ipoh isn't on a lot of tourists' radar, and I myself didn't know what to expect. If I did come back, I would definitely consider Ipoh Downtown Hotel to stay again.

2  Thank kiwipino
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We have 2 families checked in on the 28 Dec for night. I noticed the chain lock of the door was broken and the parts were left on the cabinet near the door. I called reception to inform them but was instead questioned ,(quote:)"how come the chain is broken?" Instead of offering solution I was questioned.
An hour later, the room started to smell of petrol and it got stronger for the rest of the night. Then I realised that 2 petrol stations are just beside the hotel. Called the reception again to ask for a change of room but unfortunately, the rooms are fully booked. Finally the receptionist knocked at the door and offered me 'Fabreez', a kind of clothes freshener to be sprayed into the air condition vent myself which is situated up in the ceiling!I solved the problem myself after opened the bathroom window the whole night through.
The next morning, we were made to wait for more then 10 minutes while the house keeping staff checked our rooms. I was told that a face towel was lost and they wanted to charge me for that. I told them to look carefully and even suggested the possible places to find and they finally found it. They didn't even apologised for suspecting me of theft. What an insult! Their towels are not of the best quality to start of with!
Overall, the staffs serve their customers with 'poker face ' and can't communicate well in English.
They are many other better hotels in ipoh that one can choose with that kind of room
rate they are charging. I will never stay in that hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Chrisdreamoftravel
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The good:

* LOCATION, LOCATION: close to food places (behind the hotel, make sure you explore), a street market/food stall across the road, infront of a school, San Tiek (Hokkien pronunciation) or San Te (Mandarin) 三德. Great food at the market stall, cheap, cheerful, fresh, just don't expect fancy tables, you know the drill ... 3 service stations (petrol stations for the UK/C'wealth readers; gas station, for US readers & those who speak American English) next door, the huge shopping centre is a short walk past the service stations though when we were there, scaffolding covered the front so we took the long-winded way to get there. Short way is out the hotel's front door, turn left, heading past the service/petrol stations and just keep walking until you see the front door/car park.

* Water dispenser in the lobby - cold & hot. I like this because I can refill bottles, making a minor contribution to fewer plastic bottles, reducing (however minutely) my carbon footprint

* FFT (friend & fellow traveller) says: new & clean. When I push for any more to add to the likes, silence. 'Close to the Hawkers?'

* Mini (very mini) mart within the hotel's premises. Limited but it's there. Service/petrol station next door was a Shell & had a larger range, almost reminded me of what I get at home (Perth Metro Area, WA, Aust)

* Room 217 has a view of the streets, a 2-seater sofa. The bathroom window gets the morning sunlight but the 'built-in robe' made a great clothes-drying place. Shower was comfy, had doors that opened in or out, had a telephone-head as well as overhead shower head. The flexible or 'telephone' shower head had a mist setting, which I liked

* A ramp

* Doorman, a tall Indian man, was very friendly & offered good 'tips' for local food places

Now the quibbles (grizzles, grumbles, cons, minuses & perhaps some suggestions):

~ there is a Chinese saying about a person sans smiling face NOT opening a shop. Well, the staff in this hotel have NEVER heard this saying. FFT described her first encounter with the staff: not welcoming at all. The second encounter? Downright RUDE! Not a good impression, folks, especially not to one like me, who has stayed in some basic hostels & felt welcomed

~ the first night! we had to have earplugs & noise-cancellation headphones on. Not qute sure why but APART from the air conditioner was the noise of some unknown item or process & it sounded about as loud as airplane engines, except not muted by the noise-cancelling headphones. It DID STOP (thank heavens for small mercies) but it made the falling asleep process very tiring

~ Breakfast: good for omnivores like me, had savoury porridge (aka congee or rice porridge), rice and noodles. This works for Asian palates. The toaster is one of those small ovens so it takes about 10-15 mins to toast 2 pieces of bread, if you like them 'tanned', which FFT does. I like my bread just barely warm & pale! I imagine that if there had been MORE patrons for breakfast, there may have been 'toast rage' or at the very least, frustrated toast-fanciers

~ We were there on Christmas Day & I guess the staff who had either drawn the short straws were non-Christians or simply those who had to work that day. I have no issue with their faith but as a hotel patron, I have an issue with them as staff. They appeared bored, indifferent. As someone who worked in hotels for a very brief period in my younger days, I have a problem with staff who look as if they'd rather be anywhere but here. Suggested solution: the Aust way WAS (not sure if still IS) to pay those staff extra if they worked on Christmas Day. And I have a memory of being SERVED Christmas lunch by our F&B manager. Nice treat then & it made me happier to work on New Year's Eve, knowing I had something to look forward to. And the large pay packet (as it was in those days) was a bonus!

~ FFT had a voucher which showed that she had pre-paid & staff charged her credit card, was told "it's your fault, you should have told us." Guess things have changed since I was working in a hotel ... or the staff have not experienced being guests at OTHER hotels where guests would not hear the kind of tone used on FFT. Even at the humblest of hostels from my youth, I would not have expected nor heard that kind of tone.

To be fair, I got some good service from a woman in reception (who wore a head scarf) when I asked for a plug adapter for the TV & as mentioned earlier, the doorman was very cheery, helpful & seemed to be one who 'liked being there'.

Would I return? Probably not. Recommend to a friend? Unlikely. Perhaps as a last resort or to send them on a mission to see if things changed ... There are others in this town with more to recommend them.

Room Tip: Higher floors may have less street noise. Be aware some rooms have NO windows. We were in Room 217...
2  Thank sapere_aude828
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Good location - walking distance to food center. Room ok except all throughout the night hearing knocking/meddling at the door. Fortunately to get a car park at the side even though parking lot was small. Staff not friendly at all and was rude (making rude eye gesture) when I refused to sign for invoice (folio) for 3 rooms when we actually occupy only 2 rooms... No doubt we pay only the charge for 2 rooms, but this is double accounting and is not correct... meant to impress future investors ?

2  Thank kskhim
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The location is excellent. Ipoh's famous dim sum street is just behind the hotel. Jalan Yau Tet Shin which is famous for Taugeh Chicken is just 5 minutes walk. Ipoh Parade Shopping mall is also 5 minutes walk way. Old town is 20 minutes on foot. There are several convenient stores near the hotel too. If you are driving, the petrol stations are just beside the hotel.

This hotel is new. Room furnishing is in very good condition. We had a family room (Room 213). The double bed is King size and single is a Super Single. The aircon is central system so it was a bit noisy and room temperature varied at different spots. Room has a hairdryer and a safe. WIFI signal is strong.

Breakfast buffet selection was limited.

The only downside was we wanted to book a taxi for 2 adults and 3 young kids for half-a-day. After 20 minutes wait, a 10-seater passenger van turned up. It was an overkill and I was not willing to pay more for a big van. I rejected the van as the staff did not make it clear to us that they booked a van. So make sure you ask what vehicle they are booking for you.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family