“Experiencing nature in a town!”

The Happy 8 Retreat @ Pasir Puteh
Ranked #32 of 69 Ipoh B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Experiencing nature in a town!”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My family and I had a wonderful "getaway" not too far away from the town. We loved the close to nature concept of the entire homestay. We were welcome by very soothing forest music, cooling atmosphere and jungle-like furnitures and mural once we enter the place. It's a wonderful place for family trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lowtzuting

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Lovely decor and rooms, loved the shower. Breakfast enjoyable, but oh! So hard to find, it's not in central Ipoh and our taxi driver, whom we picked up at the bus depot, drove us around for over half an hour looking for this place, even after phoning for directions and stopping in at two places to see if anyone knew where it was! A long walk into the city from this suburban oasis, so probably aimed at local nationals who come by car. They have another property in an isolated industrial district, so make sure which place you are booking, as you can turn up and be re directed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Annika J
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I did not have a positive experience with booking a room here. I shot an email to the hotel, which pointed me instead to booking website Agoda. Its a habit of mine to go through the hotel management to book a room, to have a more interpersonal correspondence from the get-go, also a chance to inquire about their best rates and flexibility with check in / check out times.

Once I booked a room with Agoda, I emailed them to ask about early check-in (seeing how you can't do this on Agoda) and the replies were slightly hostile. "We received your booking and also like to inform you that the check-in time is after 3 pm and check-out is before 12pm. So, we request you to follow our rules.Thank you."

Closer to the date of our arrival, I emailed them to confirm my booking and again the tone in the email was quite cold, which I though was surprising considering that we paid RM320 for the room. This was quite a premium to the other accommodations in Ipoh. I stayed in Sekeping Kong Heng the night before for RM200 (a 60% discount to Happy 8) and the experience, from booking to the actual stay, was much more personal, intimate and satisfying.

Onto our experience with the hotel itself, it was very clean and spacious. Location is a few minutes away from central Ipoh, but we were travelling with a car and this was not a problem. The hotel is situated in a residential area, and the night we stayed there a dog from one of the nearby houses wouldn't stop barking for a few hours, though I don't see what the hotel or I could do about this.

Overall, this is a beautiful place, nicely decorated (a bit gaudy, but A for effort) and OK location-wise. But the experience with booking a room, and a restless sleep took away some points, though neither of those would be reasons for me to actively avoid staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Al Z
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Best stay at Ipoh. Home away from home.
Ma favourite is the water features and the hanging out at the secluded garden surrounded by tall bamboos while sipping ice cold beer in the hot afternoon. My kids were free to run around and this is truely like home.
Best bed ever too as we booked the biggest room with hanging bed and outdoor shower.
Very inspiring architectural and wooden furniture.
It is very clear that the owner has paid all attention to details.

It can be a bit noisy at night because of stray dogs barking in the surrounding neighboorhood and on saturday morning we heard noise from the school next door. This is outside the control of the establishment but the beautiful place more than make up this occasional shortcoming.

Parking is not a problem. You can park at a spacious concrete pavement area in front of the hotel.

One thing that may need improvement is the 2 staff running the establishment seems to have rigid regiment about what we can or can not do. It is not their fault and perhaps they are just following the establishment policy. I wasnt able to heat up some food that I took away to eat there and making coffee, requesting for hot water etc... such small personalized request will definitely complete the whole experience since the place is such a personal space to live in. Nevertheless, I find the 2 staff very polite and very helpful. It will definitely be an improvement from their current service if they can be more accommodating to guests small personal request to make the stay even more memorable.

Room Tip: Baby cot & additional not available please pick your room wisely when travelling with kids.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank SubangBoy
Penang, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We booked the whole house for a family trip to Ipoh and it was one of my best holiday stays ever. All rooms were beautifully designed with unique themes to match. Once you enter the hotel compaund it feels as if you're in a holiday resort out of the country. There are a lot of lush greeneries around the house and even in the bathroom. Breakfast is provided with the rooms and served per pax basis. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who will like to experience something different from the usual hotel stays. It's definitely a hidden gem in Ipoh.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are much cooler in the afternoon. The outdoor chalets can get a little warm...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank StefanieTan
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Happy 8 is a terrace corner house converted to a boutique hotel with 5 rooms. All beautifully furnished with lots of stylish wood furniture.

The room itself is decent size. The common area spacious, with lots of siting area. I spent a lot of my (quiet) time there surfing the net, reading while the children watched TV in the room. The place is clean and well kept.

We stayed in the Palm Tree room. The price was quite steep for a room with 2 single + extra bed. It came out to be the same price of the Lotus Room which is the biggest room at The Happy 8, and it comes with a single bed + 1 King bed. So if you are like us, travelling with 2 kids, the better option is probably the Lotus Room.

The Happy 8 is located very near to the town centre. Most of the popular eateries are near by, making this a good place to stay when in Ipoh. There are a couple of coffee shops within walking distant which serves breakfast and lunch.

Our room rate came with breakfast, we were not offered any choices, and was served an egg (sunny side up) and ham sandwich, with 2 sausages and a glass of juice each. They did serve us tea when we asked for it though.

What my children love most is the big wooden bathtub in the toilet! They spent lots of time just splashing in the tub.

My only complain is the hard and thick pillows we got. I had to convert the duvet into a pillow instead.

I would definitely return if we ever needed to spend a night in Ipoh. Lovely place.

Room Tip: All 5 rooms are equally beautiful. Choose the one that fits your travel size/need.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ZarasMama
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had a 1-night stay on our recent short 2-day holiday in Ipoh. Happy 8 is a small 5 room set-up located within a residential area in downtown Ipoh. Quite a number of Ipoh's renowned attractions i.e. local food, nightlife, etc. is within moderate walking distance.
Each Happy 8's room is uniquely themed. We stayed in a room fitted with a wooden bath tub carved out of a solid tree trunk block. Room is of a good size, good ergonomics, quiet and very clean. The common area is homely and relaxing, constructed mostly out of timber and glass. Some minor details for improvement - pillows were a little hard and thick to rest my head comfortably.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family