“Absolute Trash”

Kinta Riverfront Hotel & Suites
Ranked #22 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Reviewed May 2, 2014

During my Ipoh trip, I stayed two nights at Kinta Riverfront. As others have said, there are two sides to this hotel, one which is the hotel side and one which is the apartment side. I stayed at the latter and this is a review for that. I literally have nothing nice to say about this establishment so I will simply list everything that I found problematic.

The sheets were in abysmal condition, stained in so many spots that I lost count. The AC didn't work in one of the bedrooms in this two bedroom suite. The water heater in the bathroom was either broken or faulty because the water was either ice cold or burning hot. This meant that all four of us had to use the one shower in the other bathroom which made for a long, long wait to use the shower before sleeping. I must also say that I found a large amount of hair on the floor of the bathroom when I first entered the room so either housekeeping didn't bother to clean up before our arrival or they did a half-hearted attempt at it.

The pillows were alright and the beds weren't terrible but there was the lingering smell of smoke on the sheets despite it being a non-smoking room. As for the wifi? I couldn't even log onto it from the apartment side no matter how many times I tried. Terrible wifi connection.

The hotel isn't really in a central location but as my family had a car, it didn't bother me much. What did bother me was the service or shall I say, complete lack of service. To enter the apartment side, one must walk through quite a long hallway (that is not airconditioned) and through a guarded door from the hotel side before getting onto an elevator. I could deal with the lack of AC through the hallways but the so-called guards and doormen at the doors were what really annoyed me.

Every time I entered or exited the building, I would have to scan my hotel key card, which is perfectly fine and I don't exactly need a doorman to open the door for me if he sees me coming but this was the first time in my life that I ever saw a doorman make eye contact with me as he saw me approaching the door and immediately make a turn as if to avoid opening the door for me. I'm young, I don't need the help but to have someone so obviously pretend to be doing absolutely nothing just so they wouldn't have to open the door for me is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that this happened on more than one occasion. To add to this, when my elderly grandmother, who uses a cane when she walks, was approaching the door, one of the staff members at the hotel was cleaning the glass. As she saw my grandma approaching, she didn't offer to open the door nor did she even bother to move for my grandma, she merely stopped her wiping of the glass and stood there and watched as my 90 year old grandma hobbled towards the door.

Terrific service, Kinta River Front, really. Never will I stay here again nor will I ever recommend this hotel to my family or friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jackie C

Reviewed May 1, 2014

we from the Oral Health Division from the Ministry Of Health had a meeting for the State deputy Directors Of Health (Dental) recently and it was in Ipoh. We stayed in the Kinta Riverfront Hotel for 1 night and we had a meeting for 1 and a half days. We had a great time shopping and visiting places like Buntong for the famous "Kacang Putih Buntong" and also the Pomeloes from Tambun. All my friends enjoyed their stay in Ipoh the rooms were good and affordable and the food was really good

Room Tip: 9th floor facing the river
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Kinta have 2 sides to their lodging .
One side is the hotel which is newer and nicer. The other side is their suites which also cater to long term stay .
This trip I took their 2 bedroom suites which is really a basic stardand room.
One of the room can't even close the bedroom door and the bed is in the way. Aircon is good and strong.
Swimming pool have the hotel side and the suite side.
Pls go to the hotel side as it is cleaner and there is a cafe at the pool. The suite swimming pool have no staff around and pool is a little dirty.
There is nothing on the outside of this hotel and you have to at least take a taxi out to the main city. Or a 15mins walk to a little town( across the bridge).
We had no choice but to have lunch in the hotel but lucky the food is not so bad and with a 50% discount.

Night time - the trees will light up and gives u a nice photo taking session.

Overall I will chose another hotel to stay which has more shop
Around their premises.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank joejas
Reviewed April 28, 2014

i stayed two nights for a conference. i am not sure about the price because i did not pay personally and i am also not aware of average prices of hotels in ipoh. the rooms were clean and the bed was comfy. the only problem was that the rug was old and tatty. the shower was also very nice. i ate from a buffet that the hotel prepared each day. the food was marvelous!! extremely good. every time. the service was also acceptable. the only drawback was the wi-fi. it was supposed to be free throughout the hotel but for the two days i was there, it was off and on and more off than on. other than that, it was a relaxing experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stay there for two nights on April 17 & 18 . Good comment on the hi-tech in the eelevator of showing your staying floor when you scanned your key card and with friendly staff at Front Desk and Bell counter. They are helpful and pleasant at all times.

Negative experience as the followings:
The carpet of the guest floor corridor was smelly and seems not clean for long time. Our room cleanliness was very bad. When I opened the closet and saw a layer of thick dust on top of the in-room safe and drawers. The grouting of the sink in the bathrooom was around with black mould stains . The drain pipe of the sink was leaking badly and the bed side wall lamp was no light bulb. I informed the recpetion to fix it on my first evening before leaving to dinner, but it was not done when i returned at midnight. I had to repeat my comment once agian to the Front Desk on next day morning. On the first evening the lobby light was turned off suddenly but no any staff to explain to us of what happened. After few minutes, the light was back to normal. The serivce at the cafe was horrible, basically there was no service. We had to do our noddles cooking by ourself at the food station counter, chef was only busy with the egg station.
Even we saw the staff to fill water to the coffee pot on coffee station and not to re-fill coffee, no wonder the coffee taste was so light !!

Room Tip: Request room on the river side
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Nothing special here, everything just fine. If you're looking for a hotel with good location, here it is. It takes about 10-20 minutes walk to the city centre where all the nice foods are.

River night view, I just don't appreciate it sorry.

Services are good.

Need to improve the cleanliness of the hotel amenities. Rooms are clean but the glass door of the lift is dirty.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We were in Ipoh for a short trip and decided to try this hotel. I understand there is a hotel tower and an apartment (2/3 bedrooms in an apartment) suite tower hence the name hotel & suites. We booked a hotel family room (ie not a suite apartment) that would sleep 4 persons (2 adults and 2 teens). We were upgraded to a hotel suite with an extra bed instead as the family room wasn't ready at 4pm when we arrived (guess there wasn't enough cleaning staff? but we weren't complaining since we were upgraded instead of being made to wait for the room to be ready... the Front Desk manager happened to be there when we check in so I guess she had the authority to make the upgrade?). The hotel suite had a powder room (useful when you've 4 persons sharing toilets), a living room, a separate dining room and an ensuite (complete with bathtub and shower room) bedroom with a king-sized bed. I personally liked that there was a generous stand for luggages and bathrobes provided. When we met up with some friends, we were told that the hotel tower tend to be better maintained then the apartment suites so I guess that's why my review is more positive than others, since we were located at the hotel tower. We didn't step into the apartment tower at all so I can't comment on those. We were pleased with the spacious suite we were given and liked that the electrical controls were all modern, touch-sensor ones. My only gripe was that the ensuite toilet (WC) is situated in a glass-door room TOGETHER with the shower... which essentially means that the floors near to the WC gets wet too, not a good idea. Breakfast spread is pretty good especially when you have teenagers to feed! I personally enjoyed the noodles section and the prawn soup was yummy! I tried out the treadmill at the gym too and it's really nice to look far out to the mountains while you're being a "hamster". Forgot to bring our swimwear since it was just a short trip but the interesting see-through pool (as in a human-sized fish tank) would be lovely for families with kids.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family