“Excellent Customer Service”

Kinta Riverfront Hotel & Suites
Ranked #20 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Although I have stayed in Ipoh many times ,this is my first time staying at this hotel. When we checked in , at around 6.00 pm there was a lot of activity at the lobby since a wedding reception was scheduled there .I told the gentlemen at the reception that I was very tired and requested for the keys to the 2 bedroom unit which I had booked. He was informed by the housekeeping department that the 2 bedroom units were not ready yet. I told him to give me a complimentary room upgrade to a 3 bedroom unit since I did not usually have problems with my requests in other hotels unless they were fully booked. He looked at me and rather than argue with a potential long term guest, agreed to my request. THIS WAS EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE AT WORK. The 3 bedroom unit was CLEAN & SPACIOUS which is my criteria of a good room..

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Leonathan2013
MsAUKR, Marcom Executive at Kinta Riverfront Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear dragonlion2013,

Thank you for having time to review your stay with us recently.

We appreciate your feedback on our service and the conditions of the service suites.

We hope to keep providing you the best we have in Kinta Riverfront Hotel.

Thank you once again and we hope to welcoming you again in near future.

Regards,
Khoo Ebel
Marcom Executive

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The room I was provided was on the 15th floor and as such was pretty quiet during the evenings. It was of a good size, and the bed was comfy. The only issue I had with the room was that it wasn't as clean as I had hoped upon checking in, but the house keeper managed to do a good job of cleaning the room in the days that followed. Wifi was available, however I couldn't connect to it, and even when I managed to, it worked extremely slowly. Even my phone's data plan worked better. Wifi connection was marginally better on the ground floor, but even then it wasn't fast enough for me download all my emails.

The gym had sufficient equipment for use, which I appreciate. However, the swimming pool, although a comfortable size, really needs better upkeep and more frequent cleaning.

Location was pretty decent, approximately 10 minutes from Ipoh city..

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2014

There aren't many good hotels with a pool in Ipoh and since we were travelling with a small child, we wanted to have a pool. Booked this because it is fairly new. Like in many Malaysian 3-star hotels, there were maintenance issues such as a missing toilet roll holder (doesn't seem to bother the hotel) and the room safe not working. Worse still, previous guests must have left food in the room so two small cockroaches were climbing around near the mini bar! We informed receptionist regarding all these issues upon check-out as we were there for only one night, and I hope the hotel gets to hear about them and does something. One room was missing the armchair. One duvet cover in our room had faint stains on it. We came on a Saturday night and there were a couple of functions ongoing, it took several calls to room service to get a response (twice through the reception counter). The glass-walled pool is like the redeeming factor for this hotel!

Breakfast - average Malaysian 3-star hotel fare and nothing to shout about. Thank God for the egg station!

Returning from breakfast next morning, to my shock I found my keycard had been invalidated. Went to the reception to have it rectified and was informed that I had been checked out! They validated it again so that I could enter the room but when I did finally check out, I was again told that I had checked out earlier (too bad it was prepaid, would be nice for someone to have picked up my tab).

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank h4ni
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed here for a short trip to Ipoh, the room is clean and spacious with contemporary deco, a welcome fruit basket was a good gestures, but I must say that the quality, taste and presentation of the food at the coffee house was bad and need for major improvement. Though I noticed a lot of company have their events there, the hotel management shouldn't take this as an indication of quality service. I must stressed here that the food served need special attention from the management. Though I quite like the room and surrounding but the food is definitely a let down.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is how we got to the hotel from the train station. There are several ways. First, cross the main road which is called Club Road or Jalan Panglima Gantang Wahab (there is a green man crossing if you go left at the main road). Walk along Station Road, which is also called Jalan Dato Maharajalela. At the start of this road the magistrates court will be on your left, the town hall on your right. Continue straight to Belfield Road, also called Jalan Sultan Yussuf. At Jalan Sultan Yussuf go left. You will walk past the padang. Cross the road at the end of the padang. you will see St Michael's Institution and the Indian Mosque, go right. Walk past St Michael's Primary School. Cross the road, the hotel is on your right on the river.

Check in was quick and friendly. We were given a room on the sixteenth floor. You must use your keycard in the lift to access your room. As soon as you put the keycard in, the floor will automatically light up.

Our room was fine, though for a fairly new hotel the standard of workmanship could have been better. The bed was comfortable, though we only had one pillow each and I like to have two.

We had tea/coffee making facilities and a room safe. We also had a fridge and four free bottles of mineral water daily. For our first two nights our room was very quiet at night. On the third night we had very noisy neighbours.

On the first night we ate in the Tin Ore Bistro and Lounge at the hotel. This is the hotel bar/nightclub. The food was good, drink prices were reasonable, service was friendly and there was live music.

After that we went for a walk along the river which is lined with artificial trees which are lit up at night. It is very pretty and there were lots of people cycling and walking along the river. There is a convenience store in the suites part of the Kinta Riverfront Hotel. There was also one on the other side of the river. There were bars, cafes, restaurants here.

Breakfast was served in the Palong Coffee House on the fourth floor. It was fairly good. I like Asian breakfasts so I was on nasi lemak or vegetable curry for breakfast. My husband prefers western. He would have freshly cooked eggs from the egg man, sausage, beef bacon. There were also cereals, a salad bar, bread, cheese, cold meat. you help yourself to tea, coffee or juices.

There was a swimming pool and gym (open till 10pm) on the fifth floor. The pool was very good and we generally had it to ourselves. It was open till 8pm. One side of the pool was made of glass so you look strange as you swim as if your head and body are not joined together.

Check out was efficient and friendly, too.

Our main complaint about the hotel was that the free wi-fi did not work for the first two days of our stay. My husband was very annoyed about this. It was working on the day we left.

All the sights of the old town are easy to walk to from this hotel. We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

The room is spacious and overall cleanliness is fine. The hotel is located in a central location so it's rather convenient to travel around. Near to train station as well. Disappointing breakfast choices.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank karenosl
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Was here for 3 nights, on my own personal trip. Had stayed here previously, but did not write anything up. Figured it'll be good to add some comments for other travelers.
First off, its location along the Kinta River and newly developed river front is great. Lots of night life, and great to stroll along. This area could turn into the people watching place for Ipoh.
Rooms are decent.....accessed with a proximity card. Cool thing is that the card needs to swiped in the elevator, and they've set up the system to recognize the floor your room is in. Saves a button push.
Amenities in the room are the bare minimum though. Could do with better quality towels and amenities. They do provide 2 bottles of water, though the tap water is fine.....no chlorine taste. Bed is firm - which is what I prefer, and there is a safe and small fridge in the room too. At the desk, they provided some writing material, and a pencil....no pens.
Internet access was (at best) rudimentary. For some odd reason, it kept kicking me out of the system,....and one has to log in several times before it sticks. Multiple calls to the IT dept. only provided answers that they're changing their server. Well....it's been 4 days here, and they're still changing servers !!

The fitness center was acceptable, couple of treadmills and an elliptical....free weights, benches and a couple of machines. The air conditioning here was almost non existent. It was pretty warm in the room the two times I was there this trip.
There is also a nice pool, with glass sides....so one could 'observe' others as they appear underwater......perhaps a fetish with someone when they drew up this concept ???

The staff could also do with more coordination - I called about a used plate with leftovers that was left out on the corridor, a couple of days ago, and the front desk told me that they'll send someone up to take care of that. It's 2 days later, and the plate is still there. I'm wondering who dropped the ball on this ? Couldn't the housekeeping staff just take that and pass it back to the restaurant ??

All in all though, it was pretty good value....safe for the few irritants.

Room Tip: Rooms face either E or W, so take your choice for sunrise or sunset.