“Salty & Sour”

Ranked #15 of 574 Restaurants in Ipoh
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Ipoh's first and only True Authentic AMERICAN Rock 'n' Roll Wood Fire Pizzeria. Every item here is made exactly how we would do it back in Chicago / New York. Everything is made fresh in the pizzeria, we believe in commitment and keep all our recipes exactly as they were the day we started. All pizzas are cooked at 750f degress in a real wood fire oven, hand tossed. We offer pizzas, pastas, salads and sweets. This is as close to America you can get without actually being there.We are a fmaily place where the music is played loud (retro 70's-90's rock and pop) and you can jump up on the counter and dance for a free pizza.
Reviewed March 14, 2014

With the good feedback from some friends, I give a try in your restaurant and that night we ordered Bacon and Eggs. The first thing comes to my mind was, why no cheese on the pizza? But still ok, the problem is the pizza is very salty, not sure if it was the original taste or your chef accidentally add in more salt and tomato sauces to my pizza...@@ however, i do think the MSG is quite a lot, as i need to drink a lot of water after the meal... A LOT... so far, your service is good. Would like to have a better experience next time....

Michael O, Owner at Michelangelo's Pizzeria, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Rachael,

Thank you for your review, first lelt me clarify we do not use MSG, we do not even have it in our store, evyerthing we use is a 100% authentic and we only use salt. Now regarding your pizza: The Bacon and Egg pizza does have cheese on it, It is Cheddar Cheese and actually quite a bit. The pizza is made like this: We first toss the dough then ladel our homemade pizza sauce upon it and then the cheese, next we top it with 4 strips of streaky bacon and two eggs if it is a whole pizza, two strips of bacong and one egg if it is a half and half pizza. Then it goes into our Woodfire Oven for about 90 seconds and then topped with a sprinkle of fresh cracked black pepper and salt. The salt is less than half a teaspoon for an entire pizza. However, that said these pizzas are salty by nature. The Cheedar Cheese is salty a bit as well as the streakky bacon. It coudl be you may not be used to this combination as this is one of our most popular pizzas on the menu. I do hope you will consider us again in the future and come back and try some of our other pizzas or perhaps build your own by selecting exactly which toppings you would like to have on your very own pizza.

Drinking a lot is very normal with all pizzas however and please do keep in mind we make everything here homemade and exactly like it would be made in the US. We are very glad you stopped by and look forward to seeing you again sometime soon. On your next visit, do ask to see me if you would like, I would love a chance to meet up with you and your family or friends.

Michael

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Operated and run by Micheal and wife, Michelangelo serves one of the Betsy and most unique variety of pizzas in Ipoh.
With such unique pizzas as Mashed Potato Pizza,The Salty-Sweet and my favorite home made hogs pizza.
During my last visit with wife, children and aunt Micheal again did not dissipating. food was fantastic and place was clean and friendly.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Pizza with generous toppings of bacon. Thumb up.
Don't forget to try the brownie. Request for the warm one. Another thumb up!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

One of my favourite places for food.

This pizzeria is done up in a casual, informal way, with lots of exposed brick and wood, and it comes off as really warm and welcoming. And of course the amazing smells of charred bread, melting cheese and crisping bacon gets to you the moment you step in.

The pizzas, I believe it has been said many times, are excellent. They've got the base down pat--just the right thickness--not so thick you'd feel like it was some dental punishment your dentist set you, and not so thin it just shatters in your mouth. Just charred, crisp in parts, chewy. Yum.

I've not tried every topping, mostly because I keep going back to the same ones.. Bacon and egg, hog extreme.. Rather irresistible actually. And their specials are fun to try!

I'm also keen on their pasta cabonara, which I feel is one of the really nice ones I've had (and I've had many..). Might feel rich to some, but that is the way of cabonara, so we usually order a plate to share, plus pizza. Because you simply can't skip the pizza.

Their desserts are homemade and pretty darn good. Their brownies are dense, gooey and chocolatey, everything a brownie should be. I love it, but my friends without a sweet tooth find it .. well, sweet. There was once I was lucky enough to score a piece of cheesecake that they were thinking of including in the menu.. It was one of the best cheesecakes I've had, seriously, and fingers crossed that it'll turn up on the regular menu.

On busy nights you might need to wait for a table, but it's not so often as to be frustrating, and usually seating is not a problem. It's the same at all good restaurants everywhere.

The staff are really friendly, and the owners really make an effort to get to know their customers. It's a great feeling, because you walk in, they know you and you know them, and it's friends all around.

2  Thank michellechew
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We went last Saturday evening and had no trouble getting a table for two at around 6:30 PM. We ordered a Caesar salad, Parmesan bread and the regular hog pizza with a couple of cold Tiger beers. All our food arrived within 10 minutes tasty and fresh. The Caesar salad was great and a particular favourite of mine. The pizza was topped with lovely flavoured bacon and sausage, cooked to perfection in the woodfired oven. Michael and his staff always check that your food is okay, in all our previous visits we have never had cause to complain. The final bill as always was very reasonable for food of such a high quality. We will definitely visit again soon and highly recommend this restaurant if you want great food and fast service at a fair price. Get there early because like all good restaurants it does get busy.