“No-frills budget hotel with all you need.”
Review of Hotel Shangg

and 1 more site!
Hotel Shangg
Ranked #24 of 81 Ipoh B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were looking for a no-frills budget hotel in Ipoh not too far from the city center and Hotel Shangg did not disappoint. The hotel is easy to locate. I'd called the hotel earlier to confirm my check-in and inform the reception of the time I'd be checking in, and it was a nice surprise to have the receptionist remember my name when I walked in at the stated time. Check-in was a breeze, as there were no others around. Hotel lobby was basic with some leaflets on Ipoh/Perak around for travelers to go through.

The hotel is a walk-up, and the corridor stairs are nicely carpeted. We'd booked a family deluxe which has two queen beds. Upon first impression, the room was clean and welcoming. Beds were firm and adequate bedding was provided. Room was not too small, just enough space for your needs. The air-conditioning worked fine. Bathroom was roomy enough, and very clean. Perhaps one of the best-looking toilets I've experienced in budget accommodations, looked relatively new. Good quality towels were also provided, as well as basic toiletries. Shower pressure was satisfactory and hot water worked fine.

The hotel is located in a rather busy area so one wouldn't have to worry much about returning too late. Staff is friendly and helpful, and were able to provide us with provisions requested (i.e ironing board) in a timely manner. There is limited parking provided inside the hotel, and along the adjacent road.

Overall, I had a pleasant stay at Hotel Shangg and would recommend it to anyone out there looking for clean, affordable accommodation in Ipoh.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank IzzyKL
HotelShangg, Manager at Hotel Shangg, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thank you for the review. Please do visit Shangg Hotel again. We are looking forward to provide a better service

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Mom and I were on a no-plan roadtrip, and we stopped by at Hotel Shangg our first night. Ended up liking Ipoh so much, and after a friendly chat with Mr. Murthi (at Hotel Shangg), decided to stay on another night. He was generous with his tips on where to have breakfast (and later, dinner!) and what are some must-sees on the road. The rooms (we had to change rooms because we couldn't make up our minds to stay or leave Ipoh) were basic but clean. Ask for rooms at the rear because the ones facing the main road can be a bit noisy (for the bed that's nearer to the window). Had a bit of mossie-problem on the third floor, but nothing we couldn't fix with a bit of mossie-spray. Would definitely go back there should I need a place to stay in Ipoh next time!

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, try getting a room in the middle/rear. If not, switch beds so you'...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
HotelShangg, Manager at Hotel Shangg, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I took 10 rooms in this hotel for an educational tour. what impressed me about the place was the security factor and also the cleanliness of the property. the property is well maintained and the staffs are friendly too. Besides that the two who own the place are pleasant people who want you to have a good stay.

There other upside for this property is that although it is a budget hotel, the crowd that comes here is mostly family and backpackers. so there is little or none riff raff.

The aircond and water heater from the ten rooms that I took was good... my students were very impressed. The kids have requested that they stay there again if we go to Ipoh..... I believe that speaks for the property it self

Room Tip: when everything is good what else to say except come and stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I parked my new car outside the hotel in a public area and was strongly advised by the staff that I should haved parked it at the designated area inside the hotel , as there were many car theft cases lately.

Good to have such good advice...!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DIonLim
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed in Hotel Shangg for 2days 1 night with a bunch of kids and the service was very friendly.for the service they give i feel the price of a room is cheap .the whole hotel in cluding the room was very clean and we also had alot of fun there .....i felt very a home staying there.I would recomend this hotel 4 alot of travellers.

From,
Kishan D.Buxani

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank lyrajoseph
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We are travelling around Asia and this is without doubt the best budget hotel we have stayed in. The joint owners have more than 50 years experience in the hotel business and it shows! There are clean towels and bed linen EVERY day. The room is spacious, very clean and tastefully decorated. One of the owners went out of his way to show us some of the sights of Ipoh. He set the standard for all the staff being very courteous and friendly. Breakfast was a 60 second walk away and an excellent Chinese restaurant was a 5-10 minute walk away. We will definitely use this hotel again if we return to Ipoh.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JMB1309
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The hotel is located in the middle of a car sales/industrial services area, meaning there are no restaurants or shops close by. As there is no breakfast possibility at the hotel, one has to walk a fair bit to find a breakfast restaurant (especially if you don't want a hot Malay/Chinese type breakfast), and the choice for dining options in the area is very limited, too, but Ipoh is relatively small and you will find something close enough.

As for the hotel, I had booked a superior room which was relatively large and clean, but I did not like the carpetted floor that had sucked in the smell of cigarettes smoked in the room. I asked if I could have a non-smoking room instead but was told the only non-smoking rooms were windowless, which I did not like. I would suggest the management to take the carpet out to have a cleaner feel to the room in general.

As a solo female traveller I did not feel very comfortable in the evening in the area, but other than that the hotel was great value for the money, a clean and safe hotel to stay a couple of nights.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a window, please remember to ask for that.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo