The Banjaran Hotsprings Retreat
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewscrystal cavewater villajeff's cellarsteam cavegarden villaprivate pooljungle walkfish spapomelo restauranthot springsdr fishwine cellargeothermal waterdipping potsdipping poolice bathspa treatments
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The beauty of this place is beyond words. The mountainous landscape made of limestone cliffs, the beautiful geothermal lake, the awesome caves with a wine cellar and meditation areas. Oh did I say they have very nice villas too?

The manager Lyba Godio has been very accommodating. I will always dream of going back to this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank lexbonife
Reviewed March 11, 2013

It's not often that you arrive a retreat not quite knowing what to expect....so i guess my expectations were low, but boy was I wrong......this little place, all of 20 villa's is the most beautiful little slice of heaven found just over 2 hours north from the capital city of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur. As we drove through the gates to the retreat, my wife looked around with that look....okay.....and now what, until we arrived at the "lobby", open air with a few ponds.....greeted with open arms and big smiles, wow we thought...as we drove in our little buggie to the villa we looked around and both gazed at the stunning thermal springs and almost mountain like feel. After un-packing we walked over and dipped our feet into the Dr. Fish pond and then through to the hot spring caves.....as the hours went past, a swim or two and even a visit to the excellent gym, we got ready for dinner. We sat down and were amazed at the quality of dinner, we had to ask each other if we were dreaming and in New York or London, the food, service and wine was devine..........as we left dinner we walked around admiring the natural beauty and felt we had discovered a new magical place, even their wine cellar is out of this world, in a cave.... Next morning was as good with a great breakfast followed by a spa treatment........as we said goodbye, we thought no, see you soon..........oh hey don't tel too many about this spot......this place is very special.....if you can find it!

3  Thank JohnTGN
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Was not sure about sharing this. But within Malaysia, it was a delightful find. I had already missed out on it a couple of times, and finally made it. The drive from KL to Ipoh was smooth and the place was relatively easy to find. We had to give in advance our car numbers in order to be let into the compound, and sure enough we saw other cars being turned away, while ours were let through. We were greeted with some nice tasting lemon grassy tea I think, and the ambience was very holiday feel (like Bali/Thailand) - but right in the midst of our own country. The villas were huge with its own tiny lap pool, and another geothermal outdoor jacuzzi. There was also a large sitting area, which we did not even have a chance to use. The price for such a large villa was just equivalent to a hotel room in Europe, no comparison for value for money. Food was only available at the Pomelo restaurant - unless you want to drive out for some local treats, but why waste your time. The surroundings are as stated in their website, although some of the "waterfalls" seem unreal. But the natural steam room is a work of wonder and the meditation cave feels surreal. No children are allowed, which I believe is a right thing to do. With this ambience, although I love kids, this place will lose its wonder with kids were screaming around. Lovely weekend for couples. Although I feel I may be bored if I do more than 2 nights.

3  Thank Noneeta
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The villas is divided into a living area, bedroom and bath area. My favourite being the living area (is sitting here typing this journal) consist of a daybed, dining table, tea making facilities and ohh ...so indulging ... the spa music.

The bedroom have a huge king size bed. I opted the German bed set up so me and hubby don't have to fight for the comforter. They leave you a fruit called Pamelo, appearently very famous in Ipoh. A large LCD TV with DVD Player. Rentals of DVD is available for free. Lots of electrical switches in case you have an Ipad, Laptop, Handphones, etc etc ... A large sliding door to walk out to the swimming pool deck.

The bedroom is quite soundproof but we still hear the children in our neighbouring villa. The configuration is two villas sticking side by side (sharing a wall). Of course, you can hear your neighbours teleconversation. I first thought (reading tripadvisor) that the resort has a no child policy. But that's not the case. There were numerous children running around making noises. I was awaken by the noise for two days. Don't get me wrong, I love children and have my own but bringing them to this resort is utterly unsuitable. Because of the slippery and dangerous terrain. And it is suppose to be such a quite and peaceful retreat. The elderly too will find some difficulty navigating the hotspring area.

The bath area is separated into his and her. So is the toilet and bath with rain shower. A door leading to the next best thing ... ta daa ... THE GEOTHERMAL HOTSPRING JACUZZI ... this I would say is one of its kind. Soak in for 15 minutes or so, you are rejuvenated. But if you are allergic to sulphur stay away from it.

The check in area have a very big foyer with nice water feature. The resort have a good design with Balinese concept. Most furniture are not expansive but built to last. This deco is quite common in Malaysia and Indonesia.

Now, let's go outdoor from your villa. That is if you are willing at all. I'll start with the spa. Booking yourself in for a massage, you'll get your own room and toilet. There must be more than 50 treatments to choose from. I went for the aromatherapy massage and Kuush Facial. Would rate the massage and atmosphere mediocre. However, I give credit to the masseur who is a qualified nurse for making me feel right at home and very comfortable.

The view ... priceless. Surrounded by hills, caves and hotspring. Guess this is what you paid $$$$ for. Fantastic nature and every bit of effort is put in preserving the environment. There is a Dr. Gaffa Fish Therapy Pond where small fishes nimble on your dead skin leaving good enzymes behind. Four geothermal pool, a natural hotspring pond, crystal cave, a beautiful waterfall right by the meditation cave, the balcony (a climb up to the top to see the whole resort), a steam cave (stay in there for 30 minutes and you are cooked) and of course, the Jeff Cellar for wine lovers.

The Pamelo Restaurant did every bit to preserve clean and organic food. I do not really fancy organic food which I find a bit tasteless. If you do not have your own transport, you are quite far off other eateries. You have no choice. But then, that is my own personal opinion. You may or may not like the food concept. Afterall, the idea of this resort is HEALTH rejuvenation.

What surprises me is that there are no mosquitoes. It's probably because you find Lemongrass planted all around the resort. Other insects yes and please be careful not to put food outside your room (I was given this warning several times). There are monkeys and other animals that come for that.

Wifi is hopeless. I never got to use it as it never moved. Even my mobile phone do not have a line in certain area of the villa. It would be great if you leave your work behind. But if you have an important video conference or important call coming in, request for a villa near the lobby.

Overall, I would say this treasure is worth checking out despite the distance. I stayed here for 5 days and satisfied.

Room Tip: Choose the room most isolated if you want privacy. There are noise from children (I thought its no children policy), there were lots around and from your neighbours as the villas are seperated by only a wall. You can hear them talking. The water villa provide more privacy as they are not connected but there are loads of noise from moving buggies.
7  Thank SoIndulge
Reviewed February 25, 2013

It was serene surrounding with fresh air. We had cousin's pre wedding ladies nite. It was fun. Private pool n jacuzzi. We feel safe thr even though all ladies coz tight security. Crystal cave filled with positive energy. Feel so calm during our spiritual exercise in the cave. pricing of the chalet is high. We got good rate in groupon. So we grab the opportunity to try the luxurious resort. It was really different.

• Stayed: September 2012