“Good Value Hotel”
Review of Hotel Station 18

Ranked #28 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel last minute for a weekend getaway. For the price paid, it's definitely well worth the money for a night's stay.  The location is great with Aeon and Tesco within walking distance. The room that I stayed in was without window but no big deal as I wasn't there the whole time.  What mattered was that I could get a good night's sleep.  Ian is great at giving tips on where to eat.  Will definitely stay here when in Ipoh for a food outing.  The only thing that I didn't like about the room was the smell of the pillows.Management should consider changing them.Other than that, keep up the good work.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank zoeyees
MikeWong888, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Station 18, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Hi Dear Zoeyees,

Thanks for your review at Tripadvisor. Are you the big group who asked me where to eat and I recommended you here and there? You are the only one in my memory who I guided when I was very busy, hahaha... Anyway, thanks for your feedback about the pillow. Ya, we are considering to change it soon because we will change once every year. We did notice that and we have already budget for it. Thanks again for your feedback, it worth so much to us and our future guests. May God bless you, and your beloved ones, in your work, wherever you go.

Ian

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is good if you are in town for a couple of nights. Clean and comfortable, not really that spacious but ok if you plan to spend little time in the room. Bathroom clean and hot water available with rain shower head. Tesco and AEON is just a stone's throw away so getting your daily needs is a breeze. They have a 24 hour security guard (who never seems to stop smiling) and are always ready to open the doors for you. Rest assured your vehicle is look after all day long. Only drawback is that they do not have daily room cleaning service so your linen is not changed. Good wifi connection, lots of sockets so charging mobile phones was good. Drinking water dispenser is also available at the corridors. All in all we will be there again next year.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank naturewala

Hi Dear Naturewala,

We would like to thank you for your review written in Tripadvisor and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time, we would also like to explain about the daily room cleaning matter. I am not sure whether Naturewala did leave your room key with us before you leave our hotel, because we only provide daily cleaning for rooms which left us their key, meaning that they give us permission to clean their room. We would not provide daily cleaning service if we do not have key with us. If you did leave us your key and if we did miss out your room on that day, we would like to apologize for the missed out. Please complain to us in future if you have any unsatisfactory, we will do our best to solve it. We do hope to see you again in future. Once again, thanks for your support, and may God bless you all the time in your life.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

The place has a 24 hour guard, own parking ( not enough for all hotel guests but ok), eating place with simple cheap food and you can walk to EON for many choices, supply of hot water- shower and drinking, clean new bathroom and clean room with fast wifi. For RM 50- 60 per room per night, this great value for money. A bit off putting is the old bed sheets, towel and blanket. They were however clean, may be worn from frequent washing. There was a musty smell when I first came in which could be from the dampness of the bathroom when customers don't use the extractor. But really, I would return there if in Ipoh and on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Marigold26
MikeWong888, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Station 18, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Hi Dear Marigold,

We appreciate your review especially regarding the old bedsheet. Thanks for your understanding of frequent washing which have caused the bedsheet to become old but however is clean. You are truly very understanding and we believe that wherever you go, you will have a warm welcome. May God bless you abundantly everyday in your life.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

From the moment we walked in the doors of hotel station18, we felt well taken cared of. The rooms are clean, beds/pillows are very comfortable, air con works great and there is even have a rain shower in bathroom. The security is exceptional and the staff are truly wonderful. When we returned home in a downpour, the security guard meet us with an umbrella in hand and escorted us to the lobby. Wi-if is excellent. Ian and Susan are doing a remarkable job of making our stay thoroughly enjoyable. Their attention to detail is impressive and all the information provided will ensure a most pleasant stay in Ipoh and area. Look no more...you will not be disappointed if you book this hotel!

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so request a ground floor room if mobility is an issue!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank A_Pair_of_OWLS
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel is awesome. I went there alone, the hotel owners brings me out for breakfast together and gave a tour around Ipoh. They are a very nice, friendly couple who are willing to help if there is anything. I tasted the famous, and delicious Ipoh White Coffee and those famous Ipoh food. It is simply amazing. The place is also next to Tesco and a few bar/lounges and restaurants are within walking distance. I am a Malaysian but from a different state. This place is awesome for friends/solo backpackers to travel. For me, the experience is very sweet and pleasant. For the price, it is cheap, and that's good. But please, be reasonable here, don't expect getting a 5 star hotel room for this price. That's why I say, its reasonable and comfy for its price. The ratings for the host is off the charts, be on the look out for Ian and Susan (they are a cute pair). They are the ones to ask for where to dine/what to do in Ipoh. They will lead you nicely. Sometimes, they will even offer to bring you around. *wink wink* very nice couple. God bless their souls.

Room Tip: Ask for those rooms with a window. Some rooms are without windows.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 2charisT
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Although the hotel is somewhat located out of the main city center it is a perfect place to stay while you are in Ipoh. We had a double room with shared bathroom. They were really clean and the showers are powerfull and comfortable. the room was clean and the bed is nice. Most important, the staff is very friendly and helpfully. They will tell you about the surroundings and the good places to go. They offer amazing guiding service through Ipoh and can bring you to the most wonderfull places no other tourist go. close by the hotel there is a Tesco and a big luxe snoppingmall where you can shop and go to the movies. the mall offers lot of foodplaces.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeroen S
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Having read some glowing review on here, I was rather excited in anticipation of my trip to Ipoh and this auberge.

Upon arrival, my girlfriend and I were greeted by sniggers from the manageress and one of her staff, amused I'm sure by the appearance of two white people. Despite my best efforts to initiate the usually obligatory exchange of pleasantries, I was stonewalled by the ignorant staff, while they chatted in Malay, until the manageress quoted us the price (tax, of course, to be added) and began the arduous process of listing a whole ream of stern rules. I had never heard anything of its ilk!

Shocked and disheartened, I trundled off to my room for a nice shower. It was a hot day and had been a long bus journey, followed by a 35RM (!!!!!!!) taxi ride from the bus station to this most inconveniently located hotel. I turned on the shower and was almost frozen to a solid block by the water that came out. Despite my complaints, this remained the case throughout our stay. After a trip out for dinner, I was just about ready for bed, what horror when I realised the blanket was a raggy old towel and the sheets were covered in cigarette burns and pink stains (I'm none the wiser, either).

The next day, we went to rent a motorcycle. We were told we would have to lay down a deposit, by credit card, for 1000 (yes, ONE THOUSAND) ringgit. Luckily, my girlfriend had her international credit card on her person, by pure chance. This was quite a turn of fortune, as they refused to accept our passports (the standard deposit system). It is dubious as to whether this transaction has actually been cancelled, as we were told the manageress was unavailable throughout the two hours before we had to leave for our next bus. (Actually, I could see her milling around with the poor pet dog that she keeps chained up inside the hotel all day. I suppose walking it up and down the dingy corridors counts for its daily exercise.) Needless to say, my girlfriend will be checking her statements, as the bike was returned in exactly the same condition as when we rented it.

When we rented the bike, we envisaged escapades of joy and marvel around Ipoh, not solely from our own imaginations but, indeed, from the mystical Ian's! Anyone who looks on the hotel's website will see a whole itinerary of activities for the day. This includes such wonders as the Ipoh Halong Bay and the Mirror Lake. When we asked whether they had any maps or information about these sites, the response was a simple, one note, "no". Stunned and dismayed, we retreated for a bite to eat. I could not believe the treatment we were receiving. We returned to the reception and the manageress stared us up and down and demanded to know why we hadn't left yet. We told her we would like to know where we could get a map of the town. How on earth could we possibly navigate a town (beginning from its industrialised outskirts) to which we had never been before with no maps or guidance? She replied that we would have to drive into the town centre to tourist information. "It's down the road, turn left and straight on." This resulted in a great deal of aimless driving and having to ask a great number of different locals for help. I can only be thankful that virtually everybody else we have met in Malaysia has been amongst the most hospitable people I can conceive of, including those who eventually pointed us in the right direction.

When we finally arrived at the tourist information centre, an hour and a half later, we showed the extremely friendly assistant a list of the recommended places on Ian's website. He had not heard of ANY of them, except Kellie's Castle and the Cave Temple. Thank heavens that he had an alternative itinerary for us to follow.

Having already paid an extortionate amount to get from the bus station to the hotel, we were witlessly optimistic that, like the reviews on this site, we may be given a ride to the station when we departed. Oh good heavens, how wrong we were! Not only would they not help us to book a ticket to Penang, the woman at reception would not even find out bus times for us. When we asked the manageress for directions to go there and buy a ticket for ourselves, she again gave us the vaguest of directions. In fact, the name of the bus station she gave us was wrong! We were duly informed that it ceased operations some months ago. As you can imagine, this wasted even more of our day, as we had to make the 50km round trip by motorbike to purchase tickets for the next day.

There's more besides! That evening, we sat down for dinner at the food stalls next door. It began to pour with rain and, although we had parked the motorbike under a cover, it was not fully protected. Well, motorbikes are waterproof, are they not? Apparently not! The next thing we knew, the security guard, flanked by two large Indian men, raced over asking whether we had the keys. I told him my girlfriend had them in her handbag. The two large men then scuttled over to my girlfriend, paying the friendly vendor, and demanded that she move the motorbike. I don't have any idea what their problem was, but I presume it may have something to do with the authoritarian and dictatorial management in this hotel, characterised by the ridiculous number of absurd rules and regulations all over the hotel. My girlfriend was forced out into the rain by the two men, got absolutely drenched to the skin, and then had to go upstairs for, you guessed it, a freezing cold shower.

I should add that, when we arrived, we noticed the room tariffs on the website (in looking up the infamous itinerary). We paid 60RM + tax. The website specified a price of 50RM for Sun-Thurs. We stayed Mon-Wed. Make of that what you will.

This hotel is perhaps the most appalling establishment I have ever had the misfortune of perusing. It is appallingly located, the service is dreadful, the shower isn't hot, the bathroom has no natural daylight and bad plumbing (resulting in horrible odours) and the room is covered in cigarette burns and stains. I got the distinct impression that we were mistreated and unwelcome in these lodgings, I just hope it wasn't, though I fear it was, due to our European heritage.

As a postscript, I would like to exempt from my complaints the overall conduct of the security guard (despite his minor transgression regarding his involvement in wet-motorbike-gate), the lady on evening duty at reception who was helpful and greeted us with a smile and the old Chinese chap who runs the chicken rice stall next door.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Chris O
MikeWong888, Owner at Hotel Station 18, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear Chris O, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay. We highly advice our future guests who wish to explore Ipoh city, please email us for more information before making any decision. Most of the interesting places are located at remote area and is not found in the map, and not even known by the tourist centre / local people, and you definitely need our tour guide to bring you with a nominal price. If you want to save some money and try to explore interesting places by your own, you will end up disappointed like this Dear Chris O.