“Terrible! Prostitutes operate at level 2” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ritz Garden Hotel

Ritz Garden Hotel
Ranked #29 of 60 Hotels in Ipoh
Singapore
“Terrible! Prostitutes operate at level 2”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

We went to the 2nd floor for foot reflexology as it was RM30 for 60mins. It was a frightening experience. The cafe at 2nd floor is a hangout for the men to ogle and pick up the Chinese prostitutes. The rooms at 2nd floor are at promo rates of RM70/night and hence serve as a cheap room for these prostitutes. My sister and I were harassed by these men when we were there. I lodged a complain to the reception but the manager claimed that they couldn't do anything as "they" were hotel guests. The hotel management is aware of such vices going on in the premises of the hotel, but did nothing to protect hotel guests, especially female guests. I would say, for female and young guests, stay at your own risk. The hotel is pretty old, and breakfast sucks too!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
30 Thank bakupaku

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2011

We stayed for one night in April and were pretty impressed given the price. Our room was quite basic but clean, the best thing was all the facilities - gym, swimming pool, cinema, karaoke bar, cigar lounge, library, .....etc! More than we expected for about £25 a night.

• Stayed April 2011
6 Thank Chrismema09
Arnhem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

We were driving around for more than 2 hours trough Ipoh without GPS or a decent map coming from Kuala Lumpur. When we were about to stop with our desperate search for a good hotel, we stumbled upon this hotel and stopped immediately to check availability. They gave us a 5-star quality room in the new section of the hotel for the fair amount of RM150 for 1 night. We had a great stay here, with a clean room filled with all amenities you can think about, the food was okay and the staff was very friendly. For some reason, the next morning the power went out about an hour before we left. We still don't know what happened. But fortunately it didn't spoil our stay there. I red some reviews here about the poor quality of the rooms in the old section. If you're planning to stay here, insist on a room in the new section, which have a restaurant, cinema, pool table and much more. It's great value for money!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Srananbloke
malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

stay here with my parents..the breakfast was really good...we choose this hotel because one of the reason is the breakfast :) credit to the hotel 's chef...well done!!!

• Stayed May 2011
4 Thank azlin_7
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

Really dissapointing stay...... I would expect better looking from the reviews here. From check in, till my check out..nothing impresses me. At checking in, the lady at the counter (Name Joey, I think) has no smile, greetings etc.., just plain "monotomously FLAT" tone! Worst is when I ask for the rates of the apartments, then was handed (actually thrown & flew across the tabletop) without saying anything, such an impolite person to be put there at the front line. Booked a "deluxe room" which they said bigger and better then the walk in rooms, but nothing looks close to the picture I saw in their website, its just small and does not even have a closet, i reckon I was given a small superior room on purpose.The parking was limited and not in th esame building, it was connected across via a skybridge, BUT beware as you'll come across a karaoke and a dingy looking "massage parlour" with lots of wierd & suspicious looking men & ladies along the walkway and in the 1st. floor cafe. Do avoid walking there at all cost.

Aircond in the room was pathetically HOT, and the window has a large gap which the lets the sound of the road in. Like the TV channels though, has astro satellite TV. Check-out was not that smooth either, same girl with the long face & no smile was there....no thank you, nothing whatsoever, shove the receipts to you, well its just NOT friendly at all. Anyway, I just had a bad experiance and defintely will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Try to get new apartments in another building
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank scubadude9

Travelers are raving about these Ipoh hotels

Muzaffarnagar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

Clean Rooms, Very good and friendly staff. Inhouse restaurants, free wireless/wired broadband internet in lobby and rooms, complimentary breakfast etc. A nice place to stay when you are on a business tour to Ipoh, Malaysia. Staff is ever ready to help you. Cabs are available on request. Inroom safe is also available.i had to catch my bus back to KL at early morning 4.30 and i was assured that they will arrange a cab if required in advance though i dint need one as my friend came to drop me. Overall full value of money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank anuban1977
Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

I stayed 2 nights at the new wing - premier family room (with 2 king size bed). The room size was fantastic for a family of 2 adults and 2 young kids. Since it was a new wing, most furniture look good. Weird thing though - the room doesn't have a wardrobe, no laundry bag, no stationaries. I needed to use the pen and paper and it was a little inconvenient for me. But not a big deal at all. I do feel that the outdoor swimming pool was a little disappointing (I don't appreciate swimming under a ceiling & around building pillars). It looked like it was fitted in as an afterthought.

My main problem though, was with the noise level at night time. I realised the air conditioner (a York brand) was making so much noise. Even my husband who is usually a sound sleeper felt disturbed by it. On top of that, there was a constant thumping sound at the background, but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. It sounded somewhat like some dance music. Perhaps someone was having a party, maybe the sound was coming form the karaoke (which was located at the same floor) or maybe there is a club nearby the hotel or whatever. It stopped only at around 2am!

I complained to the hotel reception about the air conditioner the following day but from their reaction, I sensed that they weren't going to take it seriously. So, I ended up with another horrendous & sleepless night (and yes, the thumbing sound came back!). We were more than happy to leave the place first thing the next morning.

I would have given the hotel a 4 star rating, for the facilities, room size and room rate that it offered, but the noise level was rather unacceptable.

I am not sure if I was just unlucky to have gotten a bad room (room 1011). But I am reluctant to try my luck with this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family