Ipoh French Hotel
Hotel Pi(Ipoh)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
View Hotel
All reviewsjose delisuper deluxe kingold townwithin walking distancecar parkfood trailrain showerflea marketno windowfamous eateriesopen spacekfc and pizza hutdim sumeating placesfood placesfirst floorbean sprouts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 23, 2012

As I was doing online research for a hotel in Ipoh for my husband and myself, I was coming up against a wall...until I read the reviews about this hotel. I was very pleased with our overnight stay here, as the hotel seemed quite new, relatively small, VERY CLEAN (very important for me), and provided free WIFI in the room, and free parking in a guarded lot nearby - and was a great value. We chose a Superior King and though it didn't have a window, we were OK with that for our one night stay. There were two "misses" however: they did not provide an in room safe, and the front desk could not provide me with a local street map (the photocopied map they had was copied so lightly, that you could read the name of the streets, but you couldn't make out the streets - and many were curvy). That made things a little difficult, but we made it work. One other thing was odd...we could not shut off one of the ceiling lights - but we finally realized there was a switch outside the hall door. Front desk staff was very cordial, steered us to nearby restaurants, plus the night market was nearby. Bottom line...a very good value - and we would absolutely recommend, and return.

Room Tip: Make sure you know if you are choosing/paying for a rom with a window or not!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JSS949
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I decided to book this hotel for my family Ipoh trip after gone through some basic review about the location, room condition and service. Since this is a new hotel, i have to set my GPS to Eastern hotel which is few blocks away along the same road. Locating the hotel is not a problem since it is along the roadside but parking is a bit difficult, found no parking for the hotel and have to park in a nearby parking area beside LIDO building and dragged my luggage to the hotel. Later only i found out that the hotel actually give RM5 parking ticket when you check-in to park at the place i parked earlier.
The lobby looks very modern and stylist, with nice sofa for guest to rest. Since this is a budget hotel, there is no hotel restaurant for breakfast and no facility like gym. Nevertheless, the room is very beautiful, modern type and clean, thought it is a bit small compared to normal hotel. Room equipped with flat screen tv and glossy glass type bath room. Our initial room was 502 which overlook the street and roadside but later changed to 504 because the room air condition not working. Complaint was attended promptly and the manager change the room for us immediately once they found the air con was not working. The only negative point i have for the room is they don;t have hook or indoor lock for us to lock the room from inside, and once the air con service personnnel just open the door after calling at the door, it was totally no privacy and security at all, especially at night if sleeping alone. We have to use our luggage bag to block the door from inside before we sleep at night.
Apart from that, all others thing are excellent. Room, corridor, lift and lobby all looks very clean and no unpeasant smell as the hotel have the non-smoking policy. Sleeping has no problem at all, didn;t hear any noise even the hotel is along the road side. Eating is also very convenient as there is 7-11 that open 24 hours just beside, few blocks away there is KFC, pizza hut and Macdonald. Further down was the famous chicken rice restaurant and night market place at night. Service of the hotel is excellent, I really thanks the indian staff that remind me to park my car further away on saturday night when i come back because there will be sunday morning market the next day. Thanks to him, else i won't be able to drive my car out on Sunday morning as the area is full of stalls selling second hand stuffs.

Room Tip: Drop your luggage and passerger beside the hotel before you park your car in nearby parking area. Remember to put the parking ticket given by the hotel when you checkin on your car dashboard. Sunday have morning market, remember to park your car further away so that you can drive it out later.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank yfuwong
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Formerly from Ipoh but moved to London as a child. It's been a struggle in the past to find a good hotel in Ipoh on return trips especially as my mum can be super fussy. I love this city but it needs to up it's game in the hotel department.

We needed a hotel simply to sleep in really on this trip and so looked for something that was clean and in the centre of town.

I booked the French Hotel in Jan 2012 for three nights for my parents and myself and can only say positive things about out stay. Parents had a problem with curtains not closing properly in their room after the first night and the management were quick to move them to another room with no fuss or blame.

The rooms are small but very clean. No carpets are an added bonus - much more hygenic having laminate floors. Great air-conditioning too. The bed and pillows were first rate - no trouble sleeping at all. The bathroom was compact and modern. Especially loved the walk-in shower area and the overhead shower had a strong jet of water. Much needed after a long day in the heat.

Solid walls meant you don't hear your neighbour. Often not the case in budget hotels.

The staff were super friendly and helpful. There is no hotel restaurant but part of the fun of Ipoh is enjoying the food outside any hotel.

I'd definately stay here again and hope the management keep up the standards.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Travelling_3London
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I am very fussy when it comes to hotel cleanness. French Hotel hit the spot. Its very clean and EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE. The mattress and pillows hugs you to sleep and the Rainforest shower head is divine after a long day.

What we did was we had a day trip to Cameron Highlands, then head back down to Ipoh for the night. Cameron Highlands was so-so (hotels were overpriced and dodgy), in fact French Hotel really was the only good thing that day!

The Managers and Front Desks are very helpful, even called us to check if we need directions to the hotel.

Location is very good, walking distance to all famous food spots both day and night.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steph y
Reviewed February 4, 2012

stayed during chinese new year time - the super peak period; thus the room was a bit pricy than normal time. we stayd at a super king room. this is a new hotel, still in good condition. clean linen, well-functioned facilities, rain shower, air-cond...everything was in ordered. located in nearby The Store mall, watson's, fast food shops and 7-eleven. the negative parts....overall it was satisfied but hot water was not sufficient during peak time as the hotel was running full during my stay. i like the rain shower with strong water preassure but water is easily come out from the shower area to toilet side....as there is no shower panel to devide bath room. i would recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: no carpark but you can park behind the hotel, FOC
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple