“The best hospitality in the world!”

Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Kuantan
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Kuantan
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I travelled to Kuantan in 2008 with my friend and brother and they will always have a dear place in my heart. The hotel itself is gorgeous and the rooms and amentities are nothing short of beautiful. My friend was unfortunatly admitted to hospital whilst we were staying in Kuantan as a result of some issues she had. Major Nasir (the head of the security dept) was our saviour during the 4 extra unplanned days we ended up spending in Kuantan as a result of the hospital stay. As 20 year old travellers the hotel accomodated us in every way possible. They drove us to the clinic and to the hospital. Every day that my friend was in the hospital they visited her in their own time (even without me and my brother) and took her muffins and fresf fruit that she like from the hotel as she wasnt very fond of the hotel food. Major Nasir drove us every morning to see her in the hospital and arranged rooms at our original price for the extended night and they arranged our ammended travel details.
In an extremely difficult time I was in absolute awe of how hospitiable all the staff were. They made the effort to know our names and do absolutly anything they could to help us. It never felt like any thing was too much trouble with any of the staff at Swiss Garden.
I will never forget the how truly amazing all the staff were to us and we are forever grateful.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed July 18, 2010

Was there for a short family get-away with 2 young children. The hotel was great - lobby was newly refurbished. Very resort like - with dark wooden panel but with a modern twist.

We chose 'Deluxe Sea View' - they refurbished that too. The room was spacious enough with a huge king-sized bed and wooden flooring. It even fit 2 baby cots and still plenty of room to move around. We had a clear view of the swimming pools (altogether 3 pools - a baby pool 2 feet, an adult pool 1.5m and a heated jaccuzi) and partial of the beach (blocked by the trees).

We had our dinner at The Garden Terrace on the first night and the food was sufficient (nothing to shout about). The spread was more towards local cuisine. The breakfast spread was a little better.

Wanted to try out the Samsara Spa but no time slot is available. A pity as it is one of the main attraction there.

The beach is just a few steps from the hotel and is quite secluded with not many people around. Nice and decent beach. A very nice place to be with the family.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2010

i'm travel with my hubby for my 2nd honeymoon. The room are great. I have room that facing the pool. Upon checking in the front office staff service was excellent however it takes some time to check us in. But that ok for me.

The room is clean and there but the toilet need to do some upgrading. The location of the hotel are good because you can simply go to Kuantan Town or to Kuala Terengganu. ( If you travel by car)

The room service was ok not that good but the food was excellent( from the ala carte menu) equal with the price.

Breakfast start from 6.30 to 10.30 is very crowded(need to improve on the sitting area) and the food are excellent but need to put various choices.

The beach are not to crowded due to this is the only hotel so if you want some privacy this is a very good place for it.

Can't wait to come to this place again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kiddemma
Reviewed July 9, 2010

Swss Garden Resort is actually not in Kuantan city but outside on Balok Beach, at the South China Sea. It is a large hotel, 4 floors equipped at international standard, with large clean rooms. Everything is provided in the room. I had a room with balcony (all rooms have) at second floor facing the pool and the sea.Restaurants starts serving breakfast from very early in the morning, I could see even little before 7 a.m. people going to eat. Beds are comfortable and very clean. There is a phone in the room but if you want to place international calls you have to make a deposit on check-in time. I didn't because I was only 2 nights there, even so I don't see the necessity of having an extra deposit (it seems to be usual in Malaysian hotels). If one is making some call, those calls are registered and the guest will pay at check out time - I consider it is normal so. But this aspect doesn't affect the quality of the room. There are some other aspect to mention: overpriced services.I hadn't enough water for the night, and as the shop was closed, I had to buy to small bottles from their bar - charging 6,50 ringgit for a 1/2 liter bottle - shameless expansive. Breakfast buffet has a large choice and is tasty. Also at the restaurant one can eat for lunch or dinner. Of course , comparing with the prices I paid while in Paka, here everything is double price. On the other hand, the exchange rate for Euro was the lowest I have ever seen during my whole Malaysia travel - thanks that I had changed enough in Paka. Here they changed 3.61 for 1 Euro, while the medium price was 3,85 - 3.95 at other exchange offices. So avoid changing money at Swis garden. The hotel provides a free shuttle service to Kuantan city center.Bus leaves at 11 and at 14.00 and returns to take the guests at.16.00. Of course if you want to return on your own, it is up to you. The beach, Balok Beach has one of the finest sands I saw, like a powder. Sea is clean and till far not at all deep. Beach is long and large, and you can have a good walk. Swiss garden being the only hotel there, it is not an overcrowded beach. The hotel has also a swimming pool, well maintained , and all kind of amenities around the pool, even a spa. You can have a refreshing coconut juice in the original shell - but it costs around 11 ringgits - the same in the city you get for only few ringgits. Unfortunately , I couldn't keep my balcony open over night because of the noise of the air cons around and of some workers who at midnight started working around the pool making some noise. But room is not at all hot, even if you don't open the air con. My next destination was Johore, so I asked their travel desk about the costs of a taxi. The answer was incredible shameless: 800 ringgit! Dealing with a taxi-driver in Kuantan I got it with 400 Euro! So make own deals with the drivers.
But my stay at the Swiss garden hotel was a very pleasant and relaxing one, even if it was only a 2 nights stay. A place I would warmly recommend to all traveling to Kuantan.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Rose-Gul
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Stayed here for 2 weeks holiday, while the rooms are a little tired and some of the external amenities could do with some TLC we had a fabulous time and the staff are absolutely excellent, nothing was too much trouble. However it is a long way from town (there is a free bus) and it is a heavily used conference venue. The food in all of the bars and restaurants was excellent, especially Blossoms Chinese and the Buffet Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner - real value for money. We found the drinks quite expensive especially the alcoholic ones - but all the restaurants seem to charge about the same. I would not advise swimming in the sea as when we were there we saw evidence of raw sewage in the streams, which flow into the sea; but with such a nice pool you do not need the sea anyway.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I've been here more than a year back and only found it average, however, when I found that it was rated well by Tripadvisor, I booked this hotel thinking they should be given another look into since its been a while. The first upset came when we were checking in. We arrived at 6pm, we were told that we had go wait for at least an hour more before we can have our room, a family suite for four. After we complaint, the hotel manager did however offered us 2 rooms instead of the family suite which we took. The room that was used by my parents had chocked toilet bowl which was only cleared the next day morning. The breakfast was disappointing, the food was normal, there was a shortage of plates & cups for the hungry guests. We did not even consider staying at the hotel for any meals after that as there were plenty of food out of the hotel. The beach in front of the hotel was nice as in the evenings, we found thousands of hermit crabs roaming around, that was a enjoyable moment at this hotel stay.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2010

It is located on the beach and is great for vacations with little children. Very good food at various restaurants on the premises and has a glut of very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuantan
The Zenith Hotel, Kuantan
Royale Chulan Cherating
Royale Chulan Cherating
#2 of 6 in Cherating
Samsuria Beach Resort & Residence

Been to Swiss-Garden Beach Resort Kuantan? Share your experiences!