We stayed at the Lakehouse for 2 nights during our tour of Malaysia. At first sight it looks slightly surreal - it could be an English coaching inn lifted from the Cotswolds and deposited in the Cameron Highlands. The rooms are excellent, very comfortable and well equipped, with views of the lake and the mountains beyond. There's a typically English bar complete with wooden beams and quirky bric a brac, and an attractive terrace where you can have afternoon tea or evening drinks. The staff are friendly and helpful and the whole place feels relaxed and welcoming.
So far so good, but there are downsides. The dinner menu is priced for fine dining but sadly that isn't what you get. We ate in the hotel on our first night there (a Friday) and were the only people in the dining room. What you don't want when you go to Malaysia is a poor quality copy of a standard English or European classic - what's wrong with a selection of well cooked local dishes at more sensible prices? The nearest local restaurants are a 15 min taxi ride away in Tanah Rata, but if we went back we would make the effort to eat out. The breakfasts are excellent, by the way.
Most of the tours and trips will pick you up from the hotel, but the isolated location is a bit of a disadvantage. There is nothing to do in the hotel in the evening, apart from sit in the bar. For those that don't have their own transport a shuttle service into Tanah Rata would be a really good idea, but the hotel doesn't offer one. The local taxis have a captive market and charge accordingly.
Overall this is a very pleasant hotel to stay in and a good base for exploring the area, but you may want to find somewhere else to eat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located 200km north of Kuala Lumpur, set against lush state reserve forests 1,000m above sea level in the Cameron Highlands, The Lakehouse is a Tudor-style country house overlooking the Sultan Abu Bakar Lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Fastbooking, Expedia, ACCOR and Booking.com so you can book your The Lakehouse, Cameron Highlands reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lakehouse, Cameron Highlands Hotel Ringlet
- Days Inn Ringlet
- Lakehouse Cameron Highlands Ringlet
- The Lakehouse, Cameron Highlands Ringlet