“Better With A Company”
Review of Mossy Forest

Mossy Forest
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Brinchang
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I only read about the place from foreign visitors to the highlands & my visit there was only accidental because the famed tea plantation was close on Monday. Driving up is not an issue, just use a reliable vehicle, the road is good, Trekking is recommendable only if you don have a lot of times to kill in Cameron Highlands. Get a guide if you're not familiar with the place but there's walkway built. We were fortunate enough when a guide with a small group of tourist offered to take us along as the walkway was under construction at that time.

Been there early in the morning is quite breath-taking. Clouds racing through the peaks, amazing view of the forest and no honking! No cars, no trucks, no hawkers hawking their fresh farm's goods.

Go up to the top of the mountain until reaches the satellite tower. It is off-limit to the public, but just besides it is a lookout tower. Take a climb and be amazed of the different side of Cameron Highland. Then go down-hill until you reach the Mossy Forest walkaway. Be careful when going off the walkway as the ground there actually made by billion-of-years-of dead mosses sediments. The ground can be a little bit shaky while the moss-covered trees are quite slippery.

It felt like being in one of those movie sets, probably suited more for the Lord of the Rings setting.

1  Thank Harith

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Abode tea estates, there's a small countryside. If you stay in Kuala Lumpur kinda city-side, you need occasional breaks to places like Cameron Highlands. Once in Cameron Highlands, you can never miss the Mossy forest.

Being a tropical zone, you can visit here almost any time of the year. However, if you are one of those who loves solitude, choose "non-seasonal" times of the calendar.

Good for photography, amateurs and professionals alike, we had an expert photographer with us. Learnt several techniques of shooting photos in misty lighting. Irrespective of age group, everyone enjoyed a small trek of 4-5 km from the hilltop village and loved every muck we rolled in..

Just forget cleanliness..and enjoy natural dirt (not unhygienic).

1  Thank vinaykz
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We visited the cloud forest as part of a day trip from Tanah Rata. Climbing steadily, we stopped near the summit of Mount Brinchang, and entered the forest. Slender trees which can barely be attached to the soil grow up through mossy banks; the ground is covered in moss, and is spongy to walk on, and tree trunks are similarly covered. Flora was unrecognisable to me, except several species of pitcher plants and a couple of orchids. In the late afternoon, the mist descends, and the view from the top of the nearby transmitter begins to disappear.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I had a lovely drive up to Gunung Brincang. The mist and greenery welcome us for a wonderful experience. I know i will enjoy the tour from start to end....and I did.The look out tower at Gunung Brincang (next to TNB Tower) is narrow but manageable. Our guide was really good and funny. While explaining about the plants and flowers...he kept an eye on our group for their safety. Be prepared to get dirty. Those with children and elderly are suggested to go for the board walk while enjoying the misty climate and velvety green backdrop. I simply loved it. I tried both the hard trail and the board walk which was unique in both way.
At the end of the trail, the guide promised to show me a Cobra which he claim is in wild but harmless. There are few of us decided to skip that but the guide insist as this will be a wonderful experience.......hahaha to my surprise, yes it was a something new because he was talking about Cobra Lily which I see it for first time. And yes it does look like a Cobra.
Suggestion :
1) Make sure you are wearing proper covered shoes.
2) Cap (advisable from my experience)
3) Bottle of Water.
4) Long pants and long sleeved shirts (or with jacket).

There are no mosquitoes, so don't worry.

Enjoy your trail and if possible follow with a guide for better explanation.

2  Thank Syamala S
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We arrived at the entrance of the Mossy Forest walk at around noon, after a visit to the Sg Palas BOH tea plantation. The turn off to the road leading to the Mossy Forest did not have any signage to indicate and we had to use the GPS and gut feel to get there. The only signboard was one to a strawberry farm. Halfway up, we met a runner to confirm our directions and the rest of the way up (20 mins) of very windy narrow road was somewhat of a challenge. Passing another oncoming vehicle was dicey.

The walk was on wooden elevated planks for about 10 minutes. It was a mystical experience and I was half expecting to see some mythical creatures in all that moss and mist.

Wear proper hiking boots if you want to carry on after the elevated walkway ends. We ventured in a bit further but as I was not in proper footwear (can get very muddy and slippery), we turned back. The hike includes pulling ourselves up using tree roots and branches, so you will get a bit dirty. All good with proper attire.

There were not many people about (non-peak season perhaps) and many times we found ourselves alone which was quite pleasant.

1  Thank Pamela G