“a quiet & peaceful place”
Review of Moonriver Lodge

Moonriver Lodge
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Recently I have been back to past again, I have been to Kelantan Lojing….which still can consider a reserved beautiful natural  but how long can reserved I don’t know….
It’s was totally out of CITY, do not have WIFI, cellphone coverage was very weak & limit on electricity
I can’t descript the freshness of air in the place I stay for 2 nite in Moonriver lodge, a quiet & peaceful place, no pollution & the tap water was tapping from the water falls it’s cold n rejuvenations , and my surrounding was only “hills, trees, grass & flowers”, when talk I can listen the echo of my voice.
today I have a bit hard to adapt the “air” in CITY & everyday have to bath warm water instead of the cooling water from the water falls….. this my 1st time crossing the bridge made by bamboo & also drinking the bamboo water
Now I rather me a snails instead of bees ….hehehhe
I’m not a good writer, but just sharing some of the picture I taken
Lastly, i want to have a BIG THANKS to all the fantastic hosts in Moonriver lodge i dont find i'm staying away from HOME but i'm back to my HOME SWEET HOME
Thanks Andrea, James, Cindy, Billie, Mrs. Tan, Kogar and otherssss i have not known by your name but have being seen each other for the 3 days

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank LynnRyi

Reviewed September 7, 2011

It's been a wondeful 3D2N stays in MRL with peaceful stay at the lodge with basic and clean aminity, beautiful garden and permaculture farm area. Unforgettable voice of the turkey, extremely friendly puppies and a cat that play and catches mouse around the lodge. The water trail was such refreshing and the rafflesia trail was simply amazing to see the world second largest flower after tracking through hot scotching sun and heavy torrential rain. The gardening for food experience made all of us appreciate more the effort behind the vegetables we eat daily on our table such back breaking task as remarked by my 8 year old daughter. A BIG Thanks to James our wonderful host who carried my youngest son on the rafflesia trail and our lovely cook Andrea who prepared us a delicious tea and dinner. May our Good Lord bless MRL, Billie, James and Andrea abundantly!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank David_kok
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Homely place. Kids made friends easily. This appeared to be a place where families want to expose kids to nature, farm stay, and yet make holiday in the cool climes. Bedding etc. is basic, yet clean. Power is limited, but did not miss it. Perhaps because the place is not very big, one makes friends easily. Town and local attractions such as Tea plantations, strawberry farms etc. are about 30 kms.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank ksvishi
Reviewed August 16, 2011

My husband and I spent 2 days and a night under a very affordable Weekend Package, including a waterfall trek, farming for food programme, F&B throughout and a night stay.

When we arrived, the first thing hubby commented was how 'glamorous' the car park was. Each car park was lined with flowerpots all long each lot! Lovely welcome :) We were greeted by a pretty hostess who showed our room. The room was clean, with basic necessities, and Japanese-styled 2 single beds on a raised platform. Simple and nice.

We were given a brief tour around the area after a meal of home-cooked spaghetti. The highlight was their herbal spiral where we actually plucked and chewed on some of the herbs! Also, met with a gorgeous turkey among chicks, and played with 2 extremely cute kittens and 2 waggly-tailed dogs. If you're an animal lover (I am!), it's heavenly here. Of course, the highlight was the immensely green surrounding that we were in, with their organic vegetable farm terrace, organic nursery and the forest right behind us.

Our room (Lovelock) is in a bunk next to a comfortable lounge/library stocked with a wide variety of donated books. I spent much of my free time lounging and reading in the comfortable library while hubby relaxes happily in the hammock. We kept the day free just to laze and vegetate among the vegetables, haha.

During the farming for food programme, we had a hands-on experience planting seeds in small 'plastic pots' lined together - not very sure what it's called. Also, had a hand harvesting vegetables - pulled out a few heads of cabbages and cut some brinjals.

Food was great! We had home cooked spaghetti on the first day that we arrived. Tea was the refreshing and special concoction called Moonriver tea (boiled with ginger, sweet leaves, etc) and sweet raw pearl corn. Dinner was yummy with rice, steamed chicken, taugeh, boiled ferns, and soup. Wholesome and satisfying. We had our meals at an open dining hall decorated with prettily hung candleholders. It's also a community/ family affair.

Our stay was made more memorable by the enjoyable time we had talking with the family of our hosts, Uncle and Aunty. Hubby was joyfully yakking away in Hokkien with them since they're also from Penang originally. It was inspiring to hear Uncle's plan to develop their land into an eco-park that's slated for Phase 2. Even when we were there, we saw some bulldozers clearing the land nearby ready for this expansion.

It was also a pleasure getting to know a British family there - parents with son, ad daughter. We had quite amusing mealtimes conversations with their smart and incredibly well-behaved children!

Needless to say, their bathrooms (indoors & outdoors) were clean with water heaters and body shower/shampoo dispensers. Overall, I love their decor too. It was very down-to-earth, white funiture, neutral coloured walls, tree trunk signages and personal touches of hung frames, quotes etc.

Hubby sums it up "It's like staying in another person's home without worrying about cleaning!". Will definitely be back with friends!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank meiyee39
Reviewed August 8, 2011

First time I set eyes on Moonriver Lodge , something inside me resonated with the surrounding , from the outside itself , like a home coming , it beckoned me to explore more of what's inside.. Felt like there is so much to do but yet don't quite know what to do .. Heart felt instant peace , yet physically wanted to burst put into a song and Explore the vast expanse as far as my eyes can see, at same time humming to the tune of a Hindi song ,'kuch 'kuch hota hai'...( something is happening ') or something like that. Yup. Something happened to me that day, I found what I was looking for ... A place where my heart wanted to sing ...

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank Songinmy
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Words (especially on Tripadvisor) cannot describe what an amazing and unique place is MRL. I would hate it to be inundated by the backpacker brigade - but would love families like us, in need of away-from-it-all immersive R&R, wwoofers aplenty, school and community groups, and, in fact, ANYone who respects what Billie, PK and family are trying to do with their noble, ambitious and harmonious project to visit and visit and visit again. We certainly plan to - in whatever way we can.

And the details, that many tripadvisor readers want: simple but immaculately clean, cool and comfortable bedrooms; hammocks and chillout zones aplenty; gardens you could explore for hours on end; rich, secondary rainforest on your doorstep; fascinating and rewardingly exhausting treks at your beck and call; hot showers, if you want them (!); a hose, bucket, detergent and washing lines to clean clothes; TV and DVD (if you want it) and the most erudite and educative reading library imaginable; and food, mostly freshly picked from their small but prolific organic farm, prepared by Cindy, Blessing or another member of a staff who are universally friendly and welcoming. Not to mention the gorgeous kittens, the lovely dogs, the plethora of chickens, and, as important as anything, the fact that, just across the Kelantan border, you are a world away from the increasingly built-up and characterless Cameron Highlands (with the greenerthangreen tea plantations still only a half hour drive away).

We could seriously have stayed a month or longer and never got bored. That other circumstances beyond our control meant we had to leave after a week leaves us so much the poorer - but PK, Billie, James, Albert and Nancy, Cindy and Blessing, Father Paul, and all the rest of the fantastic staff too numerous to mention will always occupy a special place in our hearts and minds. Nobody could have done more to make our stay unforgettable - and all this despite the fact that this is a working farm which, prior to us, had veered away from weekday guests.

We rarely write reviews - usually just reading other people's - and we are wary of inadvertently contributing to inappropriate marketing for this unique place and unprecedented venture. But if it sounds like what you are looking for, just email Billie, and she will be refreshingly candid about whether MRL can offer what you seek. If, like us, you are fortunate enough to find what you are looking for, then, like us, you may never want to leave.

And if we ever want a weekend away from the grind of city worklife, MRL remains only a temptingly few hours away.

I suspect that few places in the world are like MRL - and long may it retain those magical qualities, whatever growth is on the horizon.

Room Tip: The rooms are all perfect and suited to party size/needs: just ask Billie to help find the right one...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Expatfornow
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Moonriver Lodge is a fantastic experience in the Cameron Highlands - A must for anyone who enjoys the outdoors, fantastic food, sustainable/organic/permaculture development for the future. We stayed on a weekend package - which included collection from our hotel in Ipoh, all our meals cooked by the wonderful Sabrina, our basic accommodation, a tour to the Cameron Highlands tea plantations plus a guided excursion to a waterfall. A truly memorable experience to stay to with a Malaysian family who have the foresight and direction to build a sustainable business where you can feel part of their vision for the future.

I am vegetarian and I was fully catered for - stunning food with vegetables and produce from the garden!

There is also the option should you wish to get involved to volunteer in the gardens. We spent an afternoon planting/stringing pumpkins and planting okra.

Bare in mind though, this is not a 'hotel' it is a farmstay style experience. The accommodation is basic and the bathrooms are shared. If this is for you - then you will certainly meet like minded people who share a passion for sharing and sustainability for future generations.

They also accept WWOOFers volunteer programmes

Thank you so much to everyone at Moonriver, I wish you all continued success with your venture. We loved staying with you and look forward to seeing your progress through facebook!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple