“Hmmm we won't be back”
Review of The Dusun

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seremban
The Dusun
Ranked #1 of 23 Seremban B&B and Inns
KL
“Hmmm we won't be back”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

First, the positives. We - a family of five plus mother in law - stayed in Emas house, which fitted us all comfortably enough, our 4 year-old in bed with us. It's a lovely open villa and if you ignore the devastated hills opposite (palm oil plantations presumably) the view is restful. We really enjoyed barbequeing our fish over the hot coals at night, and sitting back later on the dark balcony enjoying the peace and quiet and occasional firefly. And the rainforest walk to the waterfall with the local guide was fantastic - highly recommended, but take salt for the leeches (we forgot and one of our children freaked a bit).

Next, the negatives. At these high prices I expect not just location, but a little luxury, and there wasn't much of that. The master bed was so hard I woke with my back in spasm - seems like it might be time for mattress replacement. The towels were close to threadbare, the toilet paper the cheap sandpaper variety and the shower soap in the dispenser industrial pink. For any foodies out there, yes spices are provided but only three, and of the powdered variety, a bit stale too, so bring your own. Luckily I did. There were heaps of mosquitoes and bugs, day and night, although oddly only one mosquito net was provided for three beds. Surely if one net is needed, then three are needed? Fortunately we'd brought our own. And you need to ask for mosquito coils - there were none in the house.

Breakfast is included but, disappointingly, it also smacked of penny pinching - for six of us, six small pieces of guava on a little plate, half a one litre carafe of juice, six boiled eggs and tiny measly bowls of nuts and ikan bilis for the nasi lemak. I requested more and the cook gave us - somewhat ungraciously I found - 2 eggs and a little more chilli, but no nuts or ikan bilis. The next morning was fried rice and six tiny pieces of melon. The fried rice was really awful - no flavour and studded with stringy, barely chewable scraps of pork. I can do better than this on an off day.

Then my mother in law got locked in the bathroom of our house. The handle mechanism we later found out was old and just gave up the goat. It was 7pm. After some searching, my husband found a member of staff on the property, but she spoke no English. She came to the house to see what the problem was, wandered off and came back 10 minutes later with a key, which didn't work, so she wandered off again for 10 minutes, came back with another key, which also didn't work - obviously, since that was not the problem. Then she started to wander off again. We asked her what now? and she mumbled 'Helen'. Some time later Helen (the owner) appeared looking annoyed, as if we'd disturbed her at dinner, and without any preliminaries announced: 'Well there's nothing I can do about this til tomorrow morning.' My husband reminded her his mother was locked inside and she said she didn't know that (although her staff member definitely knew someone was in there!), so she disappeared and came back some time later with a toolbox, handed it to my husband and left. No apology, nothing! No sticking around to see that the trapped guest is freed. My husband spent some time unscrewing the whole door handle to let his mum out.

We were leaving the next morning and Helen didn't appear to apologise to my mother in law, who'd been locked in the toilet for 45 minutes and was understandably annoyed. So I asked to see Helen. We waited for over ten minutes for her to come down. She apologised then. When I queried her on it, she admitted she had been willing to leave us overnight (it was raining!) without a bathroom. She said we could have used the one near the pool but that is a long climb up slippery steps. Since Helen didn't offer it (I gave her a chance), I requested a discount for the second night, which she agreed to, as well she should.
All in all very poor guest service and a disappointing experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank BlueWrenKL
dusun, Owner at The Dusun, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
It was very unfortunate that this visitor was locked into the bathroom- the door knob jammed, not because it is old. Nothing in this house is more than two years and six months old. Our staff was NOT aware that there was someone inside the bathroom, so she first tried the keys. The key box is in the office, some distance from Emas House. Then she informed me the keys were not working and I went down. As soon as I realized that someone was locked inside I said that the door would have to be broken. The husband offered to come with me to the garage; we selected the tools and he said he was fine to do it himself. The next morning I apologized and we reimbursed them for half night’s stay.

I am sorry they didn’t like the breakfast. We serve normal amounts of condiments with the nasi lemak and an egg for each person, and Haanim asked you to let us know if you needed more of anything. We also offer toast and eggs any style for guests who do not want a local breakfast.

The mattresses and linen in Emas are quite new, and we have fans and electric mosquito repellants at each bed. But we will look into providing mattress pads, since the mattresses may be too firm for some people - and nets for every bed. We do not provide coils because they are a fire hazard to our timber houses.

We try to let guests know before their arrival in the booking email that the Dusun is basically self-service accommodation. We have five houses and so obviously do not have electricians and carpenters in residence, nor a 24 hour reception or switchboard. We employ local staff, by policy, and they go home at dark. We do respond to emergencies at night, but we may not be able to effect repairs until the next day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Puchong, Malaysia
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We spent 2D1N at the Perling House. The houses are spotlessly clean and the facility is great. The swimming pool is just 2 flight of stair away from the Perling House. We had BBQ and the deck is ideal for a small party. Nothing beats dining under the stars (and moon). To wake up to the sound of the jungle and sumptuous breakfast is priceless. Only 20 minutes drive to Seremban town centre and more dining options there. Will definitely go back again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we do appreciate it. We hope to see you again some time.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband & I were from smaller towns and have always wanted to expose our child to the nature whenever we can, and she seem to enjoy it. This must be the best place to go for that! You are so close to the nature and yet not having to camp or shower by the river :-P
My husband love this place so much that we made 2 visits within 2 weeks, first to the Sora House which is huge for 5 people! Very nice open concept and the weather that night was quite chilly, even colder than Cameron Highlands. The second visit was a last minute discounted deal in Perling House, much smaller but cosy for our little family of 3. It's also ideal if you visit with friends where u can take both houses, there's a side door that you can open to go to next door.
Didn't try BBQ both visits but would definitely want to try it the next time we go
Because you are so close to nature, one can only expect some insects and bugs around, I've not seen most of them before in my life and they are hardly dangerous.
Love the new pool near Perling house which is usually quiet and cooling.
One difference between Dusun and Shorea/Awanmulan I noticed is, Dusun houses are all standalone, which provides more privacy.
The road leading to the main entrance is bumpy for a small stretch while the road leading to Perling House is a lot better. But in anycase you can get there by normal sedan car and do not require a four wheel drive
Haanim is very friendly, my husband keep hassling her to ask about this place as he love it so much and even want to build our retirement home there

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank YunQi
Hi Yun Qi,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We hope to see you again soon.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

You can do Bali with its pretension or you can really be yourself at THE DUSUN and enjoy it. Took my team of 15 to this lovely place and enjoyed it to the max. It's been some time since I had so much fun. The place is beautiful, the Malay food served is marvelous, Haanim is such a great, chillax host/owner and her son is so fab-looking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WileyChin
Hi Wiley,

You showed what a great boss is like. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and choosing us for your company retreat. We hope to see you all again some time.
Lewes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Leaving the East coast, we head back towards KL, stopping in the hills above Seramban to spend just a little more time sitting before city life and then home. There’s plenty to watch from the verandah of one of the Dusun’s simple villas, perched almost on the tops of the durian and mangosteen trees in its 12 acre orchard but very little to be done. We toss up whether to swim in the salinated or ionised infinity pool and trek through the jungle with one of the country’s last orang asli guides, picking off leeches, spotting ancient medicinal plants and calming panicking teenage daughter before swimming again, this time in the cool, only slightly white watered river.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are locally sourced as are the staff, and Haanim and Cee, the coolest couple this side of KL are the kind of people you really do want to hang out with if you want a taste of real life Eco Malaysia. They built the villas and really are living the dream, raising a family and perfecting their own little bit of Paradise an hour or so from the capital. www.gillysmith.com for more.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hi Gilly,

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to reflect on your time in Malaysia. We hope to see you again some time.
London
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Beautiful and tranquil location, conveniently close to PJ from which it took about 90 mins to drive. Lovely flowers, around the pool and patio.
We stayed in Emas house which has two rooms, and arrived with a large box of food as I have a slight war time mentality about provisions. Really didn't need most of it! We had pre-ordered (you have to pre-order) a bbq sets for dinner the first night. The meats and fish were particularly excellent and we bbqed early, straight after putting our one year old to sleep. That was lucky because the huge beetles and crickets drawn in by our having left on the lights (we are city folk who didn't know any better...) started their assault on us as soon as it was totally dark and we switched all the lights off and sat in the dark for an hour slowly sipping wine and watching the fireflies in the rafters. Very romantic really but wow I haven't been that many bugs since I stayed in Taman Negara as a child. Both mornings I swept away dead (scarab?) beetles and gecko poo from the living areas. Small price for the fresh air and stunning surrounds and only notable for other inexperienced urbanites. The second night we limited our lights and either this or the change in weather made a difference as there were far fewer insects.
With a small child, we didn't take advantage of the various walks and waterfalls in the area, and just went paddling in the pools or hung out in the house. Pools were both infinity pools and so well maintained.
The staff were polite and helpful, letting me use their kitchen to make porridge for my son's breakfast. Naturally, he then ignored the porridge and chowed down nasi lemak like he was a local.
When we unexpectedly needed a taxi on our last day, Haanim efficiently sorted it out and booked us a cab who unexpectedly knew precisely where the quiet residential street we were heading to.
Our only criticism would be that when we did have minor issues, we couldn't get hold of anyone. We didn't want to wander around looking for the owner's house and when we called the phone numbers provided, everything went to voicemail.
All in all a peaceful and happy couple of days.

Room Tip: Strongly recommend taking really good repellent for any house which is open to the environs - which...