“Needs improvement”

Dorsett Grand Labuan
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Labuan Island
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

The main business hotel in Labuan. Chose it because of the location. Not much have changed since my last visit in 2009. The room and bath are clean but is tired and needs refurbishment. Room service was ok but service at the lobby lounge was too slow. The check out in the morning was extremely slow. Seems like they were understaffed or they need to change the system. I expected better for a 5 star establishment. Lunch buffet was good with ample variety. Improvement is planned for the hotel physically but I hope they can improve other things as well.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
DorsettGrandLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Berjalan,

Thank you for your positive feedback and choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel. Be rest assured that this situation has been addressed and reviewed with the department concerned and refurbishment work is proceeding in stages. We take great pride in being able to provide the best service possible and constantly strive for perfection. It is only by receiving comments from our guests that we are able to overcome any deficiencies. We will conduct additional training to further reinforce the standard of our service. Once again, thank you for your kind and generous support and we look forward to welcome you back at Dorsett Grand Labuan.

There are newer reviews for Dorsett Grand Labuan

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The rooms are comfortable and very clean, the staff are very friendly and try their best to accommodate your needs. Buffet breakfast needs some improvement though, as some of the food was cold. The sliding door to the balcony needs to be better maintained to make it easier to open and close. Other than that, I enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have a better view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
DorsettGrandLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear AmyDillon,

Thank you for s=choosing us as your preferred hotel. We feel privileged on your positive comments about our friendly and helpful staffs and your pleasant experience with Dorsett Grand Labuan. Thank you for your feedback and we have addressed the issues mentioned. Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back at Dorsett Grand Labuan.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

In all my years of travel I find the Dorsett Grand really look after the business traveler. With it's close proximity to so many amenities it is the ideal place away from home. Friendly efficient staff and good service round off a pleasurable stay.

• Stayed: October 2013
DorsettGrandLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear Glentin M,

Thank you for your positive feedback and choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel. We feel privileged to know that you had enjoyed your stay with us and surrounded with good hospitality provided by our friendly and efficient staff.

We look forward to welcome your next trip back to Dorsett Grand Labuan. Thank you.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

The Grand Dorsett-Clearly the best hotel on the island from every perspective....Welcoming, comfortable and luxurious.
My partner Ruth has already given a rave review on Trip advisor, I can only endorse those remarks.
Would love to go back again one day in the future, thank you Grand Dorsett for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
DorsettGrandLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear Nicko38,

Thank you for your positive feedback and choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel. Being the only 5-star hotel, we are pleased to know that we are the best among all. We feel privileged to be able to serve you with our finest hospitality and looking forward to welcome your next trip back to Dorsett Grand Labuan. Thank you.

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

The Dorsett Hotel Labuan offer me the comfort after spending long time offshore. The hotel provide good service, good location and very helpful staffs. I have stayed in almost all the hotel in Labuan. Dorsett the only hotel i didnt spend time complaining to the front office or the room does not smell like vomit. All good in Dorsett!! Thanks Dorsett!!

• Stayed: October 2013
DorsettGrandLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Muzbnutz,

Thank you for your positive feedback and choosing us as your preferred hotel. We are proud and happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. We are looking forward to welcome your next trip back to Dorsett Grand Labuan. Thank you.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is the best hotel I ever have been. I would congratulate all the staff of this hotel. I spent two months there, and i really felt at home. the whole staff without exeption was delightfull. the quality of the services top rate, the food exellent with an incredible choice and imagination.

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who likes to spent a good time in this area.

Room Tip: if you have choice choose the water front side
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Rafik B,

Thank you for your positive feedback and choosing us as your preferred hotel. We feel privileged to become a host of a comfortable and yet luxurious accommodations to valued guests like you. We look forward to welcome you back at Dorsett Grand Labuan. Thank you.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

This was my third time staying in The Dorsett Grand whilst in Labuan on business.

I have chosen to write another review as my experience differed so much from my previous stays.

I was allocated a room on the 5th Floor. This was supposedly a non-smoking room. However, on entering the room I was confronted with an extremely strong smell of cigar smoke. I immediately asked to change my room, but was told that the hotel was fully booked. Their ‘solution’ was to send someone to spray air-freshener in the room, so I resigned myself to a 5-day stay in room which stank like an ashtray.

On investigating the room further, it became apparent that it really was in abysmal condition (see photos): Peeling and badly-patched wallpaper all over the place, aircon duct covered in mould, big clumps of dust all over the walls. In the bathroom, the plastic toilet seat was dirty and yellowed.

The breakfast buffet was still good. The staff were still friendly; But on this occasion I was given a really super-cruddy 2-star room in what is supposedly a 5-star hotel.
As I am a manager in an oil company - and also the person who decides where my company accommodates its personnel in Labuan - I would definitely expect a substantially better standard of room than this for almost 500RM per night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank WorldBreeze
DorsettGrandLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Dear WorldBreeze,

Thank you for your positive feedback on the breakfast buffet and our staff's friendliness. We wish advice that the hotel's refurbishment and maintenance works are currently on-going. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you better in the future. Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcome you back at Dorsett Grand Labuan.