“grand dorsett labuan”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Labuan Island
Stornoway
“grand dorsett labuan”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed five nights and found it a very nice place to stay. The service from the staff was first class and the location was good. I can recommend this hotel without any hesitation. I was due to return and was most disappointed when this was changed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GDLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Morrisloin,

Thank you for staying with us at Dorsett Grand Labuan with your valuable feedback.

we look forward to welcome you back at Dorsett Grand Labuan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed for three nights here at the begining of March. The welcome was warm and the bedroom was clean and tidy with a lovely view out over the sea. There was a balcony to use, even if it was a little small. Housekeeping was efficient and I had no problems with the laundry service. There was a good choice for the buffet breakfast. The fittings may be a little dated, both in the room and the bar area, but it was more than made up for by the warmth and friendliness of most of the staff. All the time I was there, I don't remember opening the front door once. The porters seemed to enjoy that job.
I can't remember the exact words, but the phrase, '..you make the difference..' was on a noticeboard above the staff entrance. The lady restaurant manager had read and understood those words and made my dining experience one to remember. Being new to Malaysian cuisine, she showed me how to prepare my own food on two consecutive nights and seemed proud to show a foreign guest the intricacy of cooking soup at my table. I enjoyed it immensely. I didn't speak the native tongue, but their command of English was awsome!
If I ever return to visit my relative at the cemetary, I will not hesitate to return to the Dorsett.

Room Tip: High and with sea view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
GDLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Peter,

Thank you for staying with us at Dorsett Grand Labuan and for your valuable feedback.

We look forward to welcome you back at Dorsett Grand Labuan.

Singapore
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed for 1 night for a business meeting. Hotel is pretty old but generally clean and tidy.
Was charged for RM400 per night its totally over price for this standard.
12 minutes by Taxi from Airport. Breakfast spread is limited.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Puah
GDLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Puah,

We thank you for choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel and your constructive feedback. the hotel is in the midst of soft refurbishment. on the brighter note, we are pleased that you have experienced the hotel's cleanliness

we hope to be able to see you soon in Dorsett Grand Labuan

Bay Bulls, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Being all over with the oil industry I must say for an extended stay, the Dorsett in Labuan was great. Food was good, rooms clean. The staff were all very friendly and helpful...always smiling.
The AC's in the rooms could use some TLC but over all I enjoyed my stay for one month. Would gladly stay again if I get back to Labuan.

Darrell
Canada

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GDLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Darrell K,

Thank you for choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel during your stay in Labuan. We are happy to note that you had a pleasant experience with us and appreciate that you recognize our service with a smile.

We apologize for the air-conditioning in the room and please rest assured that the hotel is constantly working in maintaining and improving the quality of our service standards.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back at Dorsett Grand Labuan.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have stayed in several hotels all over the world from budget to luxury 5 star hotels I booked this hotel as its the only so called 5 star hotel for two nights with my wife. There is no way that this hotel is a 5 star hotel the service was atrocious. The hotel rooms were dated and un maintained with wallpaper peeling off the walls stains on the carpet and sheets. When we checked in it seem to go smooth and the lobby was quite impressive. After check in i received my card for my room the receptionist quickly said there was something wrong with the room and gave us another room. When we got to the room the size of the room was quite spacious and the view was quite pleasant looking over the sea. The WiFi is so unstable and slow it took forever to load a webpage and there were not many guests in the hotel so go figure. The beds were quite comfortable and nice size. Break fast was quite nice with plenty of choice again lacking service and I also feel the staff have become complacent and lazy. When my wife said that they had burnt the soup which you could smell it the waitress just had a little giggle and no real response to can you replace this and walked away. She then obviously informed the chef he came did not acknowledge the mistake or apologize he just took it way so unprofessional and no where near 5 star service. In the night we decided to go to the fun bar which is in the lobby. The bar was ok and the staff were very friendly and quite polite, However as this is a tax free haven it is full of undesirables ( ie prostitutes) which continually try and make eye contact which made my wife and I uncomfortable. To conclude this hotel used to be the Sheraton it has certainly fallen far from the tree of quality and service and as for its location well located downtown and 2 mins from the ferry terminal. The hotel staff also treat every guest differently due to the size of their wallet and they are inconsistent and lack class.

Room Tip: upgrade to a suite if possible
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Darren B
GDLabuan, General Manager at Dorsett Grand Labuan, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear DarrenB,

We thank you for choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel.

WE regret to hear that you did not receive the 5 star service that was promised, but rest assured that we have looked into the issues mentioned and will be rectified immediately.

We are very concerned on the unpleasant experience that you had encountered. We have taken the necessary steps to train our staff to improve on our shortcomings.

We thank you for the constructive feedback and we hope to be able to see you soon in Dorsett Grand Labuan.

Bintulu
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed here for a whole month this year.. Being a family with 2 kids under 7 years.. We were appalled by the fact that we were given 2 separate rooms, 2 doors down each other, rather then be given a connecting instead! Reason being, no other rooms available.. Come on.. For a whole month? Food was average.. Service on the other hand was exceptional at first, but after I gave them that review after just 4 days of experiencing their service, their services made a 180 degree turn.. They would either forget to serve us our drinks or just ignore us...if my skin were white and my hair fair, maybe this wouldn't happen.. I don't know. I'm a paying customer. However, it is not my nature to embarrass any of the staff in front of the other people. Get your staff attitude checked. It's not like I can't make a second review of your hotels services. Would not recommend this hotel for long family stays.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dgbanta,

We thank you for choosing Dorsett Grand Labuan as your preferred hotel during your long stay in Labuan.

We thank you for your constructive feedback and we will rectify the issues immediately. Once again, we apologize for our shortcomings, and truly hope to see you here in Dorsett Grand Labuan.

Kuching
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I arrived in Labuan and went straight to the hotel with my booking paper. The receptionist helped me professionally and I've been told that they upgraded my room to a suite. Well,lucky me. The room totally mesmerized me ,because it was indeed spectacular. However I realized that my room temperature still at a level where I can easily sweat so I called the staff and a maintenance staff was sent to my room to check on my air cond. the staff told me that I need to wait for at least two hours but I've been in the room for like 6 hours.thats what I told him but he still insist on his fact and even back up his story by telling the room has never experience problem with the air cond.i ended up checking out the next day with the temperature still the same. Overall, the hotel was really awesome from all aspect however the staff need to listen when a guest complain.we will not complain unreasonably.and one thing, the basement parking smells truly foul. Lose my appetite due to the smell. Peace !

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Royce88
Dear Royce88,

Thank you for highlighting the unpleasant experience regarding the air conditioning system during your recent stay with us.

We apologize for the discofort and inconveniences that you had encountered.

Please be assured that the hotel is constantly working in maintaining and improving the quality of our service standards through your feedback.

Once again we apologize and hope to see you in Dorsett Grand Labuan soon.