“Disappointed with Tiara”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Labuan Island
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“Disappointed with Tiara”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Regretfully, I did not have a good experience with my stay at Tiara Labuan. Room service not as good as described. What was promised was mot provided. No safe vault in the rooms provided, tv very outdated model, remote not working. No wifi inspite promised a free wifi. These are to name a few, its just 2-star rating. Not worth for the money spent. Bars were lousy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
tiaralabuan, General Manager at Tiara Labuan Hotel, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Dear Andyroy610,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience in July with us. I assure you that the hotel management has duly noted your constructive feedback on the areas of concern. We take your feedback seriously and will be sure to seek for improvement where necessary. We hope to welcome you again for another memorable hotel experience in the near future!

JOHN CHIN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Indonesian first
Province of Alicante, Spain
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Arriving in Borneo I was really excited and looking forward to getting an opportunity to hopefully see the Orang-Utans, however had I done my homework and researched, I would have realised this is not possible unless your gonna plan the trip over a few days. So don't expect to see the wonderful primates if your larking around the hotel.
The hotel is a bit run down and the rooms although very spacious can really do with freshening up. Be careful and please take plenty DEET (Mozzy killer) otherwise these Mosquitos are nasty little rascals.
The pool and bush areas are breeding grounds for them and remember to check your room.
The town centre is 5 mins in a cab and there are better more modern hotels, so choose carefully.
This was a 1 night visit so not a lot other than what is written to report.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Billy T
tiaralabuan, General Manager at Tiara Labuan Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear WCT275 ,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience in Nov with us. I assure you that the hotel management has duly noted your constructive feedback on the areas of concern. We take your feedback seriously and will be sure to seek for improvement where necessary. We hope to welcome you again for another memorable hotel experience in the near future!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I will probably be staying at this hotel until November 2013 due to my work requirement. I really like the environment which is relaxing as it is a resort hotel. The deluxe room is spacious with all the basic amenities in place though part of the wall has stain on it from the water leak. Food is good over here, staff are friendly and welcoming. But, where is the WiFi connection? My room is only a stone throw away from the foyer but I can't get any coverage at all. I've called the front desk to report on this and the guy replied that WiFi coverage in this hotel can't be reached from most of the rooms. Cellular coverage from local telcos are also poor which means I can't access the internet from my mobile phone, and then the hotel's WiFi only covers the boss office I guess? I hope the management can solve the problem as soon as possible, with the poor cellular coverage + no WiFi from the hotel I can only give this hotel a 3 stars. My other 2 stars are for the WiFi. Solve the problem and you deserve all the stars. thanks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room adjacent to the boss office, maybe you can get the WiFi coverage, maybe.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Syafiqsaif
Dear syafiqsaif ,

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we appreciate your constructive feedback. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you had.

It is our commitment to ensure that our guests needs are being met and their expectations are fullfilled. Hence, rest assure we will look into the matter that you have raised.

Once again, thank you for your sharing and for your continued support of Tiara Labuan Hotel !
Reviewed June 8, 2013

An awesome place to relax from all those stress,tiara offers places to have fun,exercise,as well as entertainment such as chess pub and blue bayu lounge. The receptions is friendly and always ready to respond to any needs I need, not to mention the awesome food offered in the grill,Chinese restaurant and buffet.

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank BugBnv
tiaralabuan, General Manager at Tiara Labuan Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Bugbny ,

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and I am glad that we have made your special occasion a memorable one! Thank you for sharing your positive review with us here on TripAdvisor and this certainly spurs us to continuously seek for improvement towards achieving excellence. The team at Tiara Labuan Hotel looks forward to welcoming you again for another Refreshing Tiara experience in the near future.

Regards,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed here on a recent business trip. Sadly, I wasn’t one of the oil workers enjoying the pool with the local girls; But I was one of the oil workers frustrated by this hotel’s zero-star internet and breakfast.

The ‘apartment’ room itself was extremely spacious and relatively clean; But somewhat dated. The mostly brown colour scheme, with so many wooden laminate wooden doors and cabinets is very reminiscent of 1980’s décor. Grubby light switches and sockets (one of my pet hates) and old-fashioned light switches built into the bedside cabinets.

There’s a TV in the main room, and a TV in the bedroom, but a choice of only around 8 channels; None of which had a decent picture or sound. This wouldn’t be so bad if guests could use the internet as an alternative, but it runs at dial-up speeds and is completely incapable of streaming a video.

A big plus point was that the bed was possibly the most comfortable hotel bed I have slept on. I had a good night’s sleep with no noise disturbance from other guests, as this place doesn’t have the paper-thin walls of most modern hotels. Aircon in both main room and bedroom were new units and kept the place cool.

The bathroom was also ok with decent water pressure and temperature. Toiletries were replenished every day, as was bottled drinking water and sachets of coffee. A cooking hob is provided and a large refrigerator, but unfortunately no microwave.

It has to be said that the breakfast here is absolutely terrible. Without doubt the worst ever breakfast I’ve ever had in a hotel in Asia. An abysmal selection which bizarrely included Spaghetti Bolognese. Since when is that a breakfast food!!
The bread left out for toasting was already hard and stale, and for somewhere that claims to offer ‘the tropical experience’, there wasn’t even fresh fruit juice – just watered-down cordial!

The restaurant food which I tried for dinner was horrendous , which is sad when there is so much fresh fruit and veg, seafood etc readily and cheaply available in Labuan. This hotel really needs to seriously review its catering arrangements.

I didn’t use the nice pool or balcony, but would have done if my stay was longer. However, I took a look inside ‘cheers pub’ and saw a band performing to one lone customer. The bar staff explained that the recently-introduced no-smoking policy had completely killed off trade. Hardly the best business decision when your main clientele is oil workers and there is such an abundance of bars in Labuan!

I would rate this hotel ‘just ok’ on the basis of the comfy bed. Everything else was sub-standard, and I will try somewhere else next time just to weigh up the alternatives.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank WorldBreeze
tiaralabuan, General Manager at Tiara Labuan Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Worldbreeze ,

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and I am glad to learn of your commendation towards our team and the guestroom.The team at Tiara Labuan Hotel looks forward to having another pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Labuan Island, Malaysia
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I've been staying at the Tiara off and on for over a year now. The staff are very friendly but the rooms are a bit dated and in need of refurb. My main complaint however is the internet service in the hotel. The management have told us they will be getting it improved for some time now but if anything it has got worse. I would not reccomend this hotel if you are on a business trip and reliant on a decent net connection.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank 19Mac72
Dear 19Mac72 ,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 13, 2013

One of the better hotels that I've been to. Staff are very helpful as usual in Labuan Level of service is very high although can be costly. This hotel has been upgraded considerably and is now one of the best in town . Especially new carpet , new toilet seat and LCD TV .

The rooms are spacious enough with size of people and the house keeping always replenish the toiletries and toilet always tip top clean.Few highly great restaurants and pubs are located within this hotel area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Allan D
tiaralabuan, General Manager at Tiara Labuan Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Allan D ,

Thank you for choosing Tiara Labuan as your preferred hotel in Labuan and I am pleased that you have enjoyed the stay. We are grateful for your sharing the memorable hotel experience with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,