“Southern Indian Food Heaven”
Review of Jega's Corner - CLOSED

Jega's Corner
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I was a bit sceptical coming here after reading few bad comments. But It was definitely a great eatery to come to. We came here without informing Jega(owner) and the food was nearly finished. He said it was good business today since it was the eve of Deepavali. Though we couldn't exactly choose what we wanted the food that we were served was really great. Even my friends who were Chinese, Malay, Sikh, and Thai loved the food and asked for more. We will be surely visiting this place very often after this. The owner Jega is very honest and open type. Maybe not everyone can handle people like Jega. But he is definitely a good guy.

1  Thank Arivaran

Reviewed October 30, 2013

As a journalist who has done countless food/restaurant reviews before, I was totally appalled at the service at Jega's corner. Being fairly new to Kota Bahru, my husband and I met Jega for the first time at Siti Khadijah market where he invited us to try out the cuisine at his restaurant. A couple of months later, we decided to check out his establishment. I did not go there to review his restaurant but purely as a paying customer. It was around 4pm when we got there so I only wanted to have a drink but my husband decided to have an early dinner and ordered rice with dishes. Rice and dishes by the way are the only things that Jega serves. There is no tosai, capati, puri, maggi mee goreng, mee goreng, vadai, other cakes or anything else for that matter. Just rice and meat and veg. From the moment we stepped into his restaurant, Jega started complaining about how difficult it was for him to get staff, how short handed he was, how hard it was to run a restaurant, etc etc etc. Then my husband orders his food and Jega brings over the meat first in little containers, then the rice on a banana leaf, and then the vegetables. Then my husband asked for some curry and Jega tells my husband "you are making me walk around so many times. Why can't you order everything at once. The problem with people nowadays is that they are so arrogant." And the man goes on and on. My husband and I were initially speechless wondering what on earth had brought on this verbal onslaught. Then he looks at me and says he is is just being honest with his comments. And I said as diplomatically as I could that maybe he was being too honest to which he replies: "People cannot handle honesty these days." Then he tells my husband that his staff will see to him and he walks out. I asked my husband if he felt like walking out then and there to which he replied he would but for the sake of retaining our dignity we stayed. He finished his meal, we paid the bill and left with a very distasteful feel on our mouths. We would never ever step foot into Jega's restaurant again. To be honest the ambiance of the restaurant was nice and the food was not gross but seriously when the owner treats you like crap for absolutely no other reason other than the fact that my husband asked for some curry, you wouldn't ever want to go back. Jega was stressed over not having enough staff but it was extremely unprofessional of him to take his stress out on his customers. We didn't go there to listen to his problems or be his scapegoats. In my opinion, people like him have no business running a restaurant if they cannot handle the stress. Such an unpleasant experience! For those thinking of going there, watch out. Your dining experience there would very much depend on what mood Jega is on that day.

3  Thank Charlotte R
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Probably the best food on our trip in Malaysia.Walking on the street when owner standing at the door invited us to come in and try his food. So we did. And in the end we had to stop by again on our way back from Perhentians. Variation of curry is really delicious, clear and new interior with open kitchen and super friendly owner made our stay very pleasant. This place is sure shot. Wish you a lot of satisfied customers.Our best regards from Czech Republic!

2  Thank Zbynek M
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Jega is a very nice guy who has a passion for food. We had a chicken curry and explained everything what was on our bananaleaf-plate. we had a great laugh with him and the other guests.

The restaurant is very clean and is hygenic and ofcourse the food was good and spicy wich he warned us for. And very cheap

thank you for the great time! x from holland ;)!

1  Thank Danielle8610
Reviewed August 11, 2013

If you are looking for the simplicity and real goodness of homecooking, this is the right place to eat.

For the setting, the restaurant is very simple and unpretentious. That didn't bother me considering the fact that the restaurant is relatively new and besides, the first thing that I am looking for in a restaurant is cleanliness which I immediately noticed. The place is so neat, tidy and very orderly. A five-star rating for me.

We were greeted by a young lady who was attending to some customers at the same time. She politely told us to wait. So, we sat down and patiently waited. We were just venturing around so there was no rush for us to be attended to.

Our food was served, at last! Me and my friend ordered fish curry. The smell is mouthwatering and the taste is so flavorful. What else can I ask for. We had the chance to talk with Jega, the chef and owner of the restaurant. The food is prepared from fresh ingredients only (except for the dried herbs) and all are natural. No MSG is added for all the dishes. The menu is limited but the taste of the curries is more than enough to satisfy even the most discriminating palate. The secret?! Chef Jega won't tell, or course! But one thing for sure. The food is truly captivating because the chef is doing a job that he is good at and really enjoys.

The service I would say is excellent. Chef Jega having worked for luxury cruise ships including Queen Mary 2, the flagship of all luxury cruise ships, he surely knows how to give his customers a five-star service --- and service that is, with a smile. He is also very attentive to the needs of his customers which is undeniably a plus factor.

The price for one full meal is very affordable. That is the reason why many local residents flock the restaurant. In fact, we chanced upon an American who works in Kota Bharu and he said he is a regular customer. If the restaurant would close even for one day, the people there would feel like it is a day without a meal.

For people who are looking for a place to hang around, this is certainly not the right place be. Jega's Corner is simply a place where one can get nourishment for the body as much as for the soul.

3  Thank dixiek9