“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Kota Bharu
Providence, Rhode Island
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This was one of the best hotels during our holiday in Malaysia. We had a club junior suite, which was very spacious and luxurious and gives access to an excellent club lounge with a wide range of refreshments. The hotel restaurant on the 1st floor is good, we had an international buffet there which I would recommend. Only downside is that some parts of the hotel are perhaps a little dated.. but the manager explained to us that the hotel will be renovated this summer. Overall, great hotel with very good service. Definitely recommended for a stay in Kota Bharu.

Room Tip: If you have the option, book a club room.. the rooms are on the top floors with better views and giv...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Stefan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Very comfortable rooms, service a bit lacking or unhelpful. The Chinese restaurant was the only choice available on one night here (the oither was not open) and the Chinese restraurant wasn't very good. We tried the other one the next night, and it was better (Maitre d' was very good).
A free hotel mini bus into town was a bonus and the free underground parking was appreciated.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I was on a trip with my family to Terengganu from Penang. We decided to have a 1-night stay in Kota Bharu before proceeding with our journey. I was lost on my way to Kota Bharu town itself and i was also LOST in finding the hotel. The signages there were not helping at all. Thery were not 'tourist-friendly'. I was lucky to have my best friend Mr GPS that shows me the road.

Once we reached the hotel, we were greeted by friendly smile and refreshing welcome apple drink that soothe our sour faces after getting lost for hours. We were directed to our junior suite. Once we enter the room, I was stunned. The room was lovely and HUGE! It was also clean and neat. The bed was so comfortable that we do not want to wake up the next day.

Since we are like in the middle of nowhere, we decided to have our dinner at the hotel. Apparently there are different themes for different season and for us, we were served with Thai buffet. The meal was satisfactory but the dessert was plentiful.

Room Tip: I guess any Renaissance rooms are always at their best.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pearl_lynely
KL
Reviewed June 1, 2012

This is the only international, major, hotel in Kota Bharu.

Its centrally located, has OK (but dated) rooms, and a decent breakfast buffet. Note that you can't get any alcohol of any kind in any of the restaurants or lounges or even the cigar divan.

Service is below par. I am platinum member (meaning 75 nights annually at Marriott hotels) but at check-in (there is no priority check-in for anyone), the staff didn't offer an upgrade or amenities questionnaire until I asked (I am entitled to an automatic upgrade) although I handed in my membership card at the outset (and my booking was made ahead, and I saw it on the Marriott website as an upcoming stay several days earlier).

My room on the executive floor did not have a hair-dryer (apparently it is supposed to have one, but someone forgot to check... ), newspapers are simply thrown at the door (see photo of a nearby room on the executive floor; mine and others looked that way too) and laundry comes in very late (well after 8pm and only after I inquired many, many, times as I was checking out the next morning). The staff are pleasant but seem ambivalent and look disinterested. I never saw any manager keeping an eye on things during my two days and several events there . Needless to say, no one even asked about my stay, even upon checking-out.

So, if you need a major, branded, hotel, this is the only choice in town and I think they know it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank KT785
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Kota Bharu was the place we had to stay for a night to catch the very morning flight to KL and then Bali Island. The Renaissance hotel was a very nice surrprise for both of us - very clean, nice spacious room, good size bathroom. The breakfast aslo was a nice thing to have - also it was included in room price. Swimming pool is very tiny, tennis court was a joke and fitness centre was closed - we did used any of them as it was not worth.
I really cannot complain about this place and when you compare it with the surroundings or the town in general - you are pretty sure you made a good choice ;-)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed for two nights in a suite on the top floor. Decent view (though not much to actually see) and the room was spacious enough. Service was friendly and I managed to try the Spa. The spa is basic but reasonably priced for its massages. The club lounge is also pretty basic and has a decent spread for tea, but no breakfast. Breakfast at the restaurant was a real frenzy, with far too many people trying to squeeze in. The hotel was surprisingly busy for such a sleepy town. While the shower and TV were fine, I had trouble controlling the room temperature. Suspect it has to do with the hotel's age - the rooms and decor really need some refurbishment. Overall, I can't fault the staff who were very good to me but the hotel and rooms really need updating. Still, a far sight better than a couple of other city hotels in KB that I stepped into. Didn't visit the mall, nor did I have a desire to from the look of the place

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SRFamily
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This hotel actually isn't bad, although Kota Bharu is an ugly, unpleasant city. My room was more or less "deluxe," as had been described, and the restaurant very fine. In fact, dinner there was exceptional on the first evening, as were the breakfasts. No wine is available in the dining room.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
#1 of 1 in Pasir Puteh
G Home
G Home
#5 of 39 in Kota Bharu

Been to Renaissance Kota Bharu Hotel? Share your experiences!