“A fair stay”

Ranked #20 of 60 Kota Bharu B&B and Inns
Eastbourne
“A fair stay”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

First of all I do not know which hotel Scott S was referring to in his review but there is no breakfast, no wine bar and his description of the surrounding area is not as I found it. The hotel is a basic budget hotel. The lady owner speaks fluent English and the other reception staff can manage. It is within walking distance of the market, the bus terminal, the museums on Merderka (Independence) Square, and the shops, McDonalds, KFC and the Irish Bar (Golden City). The room was clean but basic. There is no elevator but I was offered help with my bag which I did not, in fact, need. There are no toiletries and very limited channels on the TV - this did not bother me but may bother some. There is an interesting Friday morning market in the streets nearby. It is also a half hour walk to Thai Consulate (or 12 Ringgit by taxi) where obtaining a visa is quick and painless. There are other budget hotels in the town but none of them looked as good as this one. There are several Indian eateries nearby for early morning coffee and rotis. My attempt at an early night on the first night of my stay was ruined by a Malaysian (I think) family who allowed their small children to run up and down the corridors and stairs unsupervised (after 8pm) while the adults shut the door of the room and watched TV. I had to ask the owner to speak to them which she did. Unfortunately this is not the first time that I have come across this kind of thing in Malaysian hotels

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Trav53

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Do not take room 1539, faces some pretty rowdy streets - v noisy! Hotel fine enough, staff good, breakfast excellent! Wine bar inside hotel excellent service, not too many wines in stock but found a decent argentinian! unfortunately still allows smoking inside here so got pretty much unbearable pretty quickly otherwise would have stayed longer. Location is pretty much where you need to be for the best bars in town! Please read reviews of area / nightlife online before venturing out. Street kids, beggars, seedy joints abound!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank scott s
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I went to Kota Bharu in early 2011, was last minute but stumbled upon this new budget hotel www.hotelharmoni.com, as it says it's right smack in the middle of the city. I must say our stay has been pleasant that I'd like to recommend to fellow travelers. Especially to those who need convenient location business travelers.

It is just beside the clock tower field along Jalan Temenggong, behind downtown taxi station, a short walking distance from almost every where that we needed to go. There's a morning market just 2 lanes behind, where I had many nice Chinese hawker food. The old market was just further down the road too.

Another thing I really appreciate is their honesty. Unlike many other hotels website where the room pictures are artistically done up to attract people, for Hotel Harmoni, the room pictures I saw on the website is exactly the same as the room I stayed. It's basic, simple, clean and tidy. More importantly, there's no moldy odour like most budget business hotels. Very well kept.

The only down point is that it is beside the busy main street, you can hear the traffic. However that doesn't really concern me much to affect my stay.

I'd definitely go back and stay with them again my next trip. Please keep up the good work!

Room Tip: They have many room types, can take big group. Just look at their website www.hotelharmoni.com