Crystal Lodge
  • Breakfast included
Jewels Hotel(Kota Bharu)
$27
  • Restaurant
Crown Garden Hotel(Kota Bharu)
$41
G Home(Kota Bharu)
TripAdvisor
Flora Place Hotel(Kota Bharu)
TripAdvisor
Hanis Villa Hotel(Kota Bharu)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbuffet breakfastfree wifiwithin walking distanceironing boardextra pillowsroof terracesuperior double roomhotel is locatedtourist spotsshower areasmall roombasic amenitiespasar siti khadijahlocal foodsshort staycentre of townnight market
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 29, 2013

First at all I am thanking all the people comment to this hotel and I gave it a try. Yes this hotel deserve one of the good hotel stay in Kota Bharu. After it's renovation the room I stay is really impressing. Thanks for Awie for free upgrade my Standard room to Suite and also for your hotel fast internet connection as I really need it to do my work report. Breakfast foods serve is totally edible. Final say Crystal Lodge; really with your phrase "Our Best, We Serve" - you totally honest with it. Will be back soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DTeoh27
Reviewed April 27, 2013

twice as bad.

1.on my first visit, the condition of the room is quite nice (it is a refurbished room & in the new wing of the hotel)
a) but the charge (placed to my company account) is a bit excessive (170+) considering the room has no window to outside (the only window in the room opens to the hotel corridor - had to close the curtain all the time, otherwise there will be no privacy/security).
b) The noise from the bathroom, coming from water usage from other rooms is not acceptable, quite loud, woken me up at least once every night of my three nights stay at the hotel.
c) Breakfast was OK, there was a coffee machine! but it is actually an instant coffee machine, not coffee bean. Buffet of english and local (taste okay, but not great).
d) The gym is a plus but not great. Some equipment are not working, but there is a working treadmill and some old weight machine. The gym is on level 10 - has nice view of the nearby river.

Upon check out, I have informed the reception that the 'windowless' room and the noise were not acceptable, and they say I should be able to request a windowed room in advance if I stay there again as the hotel was full that time, there was a group stay.
Hence I didn't publish this earlier, gave them the benefit of the doubt.

2.On my second visit, about a month later, my company booked a standard room (rate around 150)
a) I got a windowed room this time, but very old, even though I had asked for a refurbished room during reservation.
b) the room is disgusting, stained everywhere (towels, curtain, walls, bed, mug) and stale/mouldy smell in the room, AC helps a bit to freshen up the room.
c) the towels they provided on the first 2 days of my stay smell funny, like they have not been properly dried. the smell stays on you after use. One of the towel stained so bad as if it has not been washed (see pic).
d) only two power outlet available in the entire room, one for tv and one for kettle/hair dryer. reception does not provide power adapter.
e) sticky floor, could be the chemical they use to clean the floor. had to wear socks all the time.
f) bathroom, shower will wet the whole floor. the water is not clear, yellowish, but the water pressure is superb.
g) the bathroom doesn't projects noise as bad as the room on my first stay here, but you can still hear banging sound from other room in the middle of the night.
h) WIFI is fast, but need to call the reception to reset the router several times daily.
i) breakfast has improved, really nice restaurant on the new floor.
j) Staff: some are really nice, some are a bit cold, especially when you request something (e.g. an iron or to reset the wifi), some replied as if you were annoying them. Some of the staff also doesn't know how to apologise when you complain on something (e.g. iron requested has not turn up after 1 hour or the WIFI keeps malfunction).

This hotel will be the last choice when I visit Kota Bharu again.
Breakfast on the new floor is great, but there are many cheap tasty stalls in the town for deli breakfast if you stay in nicer hotel closer to town.
Gym is a plus too, but there is now a jogging track beside the river.

For the rate, I could get a better stress-free clean room elsewhere in the town.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NomadWhere
Reviewed April 24, 2013

FACTS
Positive:
* professional and helpful staff (English could be improved)
* very good breakfast (lots of choice)
* location of restaurant (nice views to city and river)
* clean room
* English newspaper in the morning
* free WIFI in the hotel

Negative:
* standard room is too small (don't book it)
* terrible view from the room (wall from another building)

Room Tip: Do not reserve Standard Double Room because this rooms are small. You will be disappointed. Pay a bit more and stay in Superior or Deluxe Room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tincek_757
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed here for 2nights.

To be honest, when we first booked the room online, we only booked for 1 night thinking of moving to a different hotel the next day. Good thing is that the experience was really great that it impressed us to to extend for 1 more night here. Staffs were super friendly and helped us to stay on the priority list for extension despite the hotel was fully booked the 2nd day.

However, there are bad parts which I hope the hotel can improve on
Bad :
1. Noisy. There's a supermarket (selling cloth) right opposite the hotel. It was broadcasting so much noise/advertisements from its loudspeaker which we can hear so clearly in our room at 5th floor. Our afternoon nap was completely destroyed because of that. :(

2. Housekeeping. The housekeeping was so slow and late that our room was only tidied after 6pm... (we came back at around 3pm the next day, our room was not done housekeeping, told them to help clean it soon but it was only done at 6pm.)

On the good sides, we have lots to say as we're very satisfied with the experience here despite the 2 down sides above.
Good :
1. Food. Breakfast was really good. It has local food and standard english breakfast which works for both me and my gf who has 2 different taste buds.

2. Internet. Seamless connection to the internet with very good speed.

3. TV. Not sure why in the afternoon we had less channels than at night. At night we have so much channels that we can sit on our bed and pick the right show to end our night :)

4. Shower. This is 1 of my gf's favourite spot in the hotel. The shower water power/strength was so good that it felt soooo goood during and after showering.

Overall, Really really value for money and great great experience. Hope the hotel manager would look at the 2 down sides I've listed above and work a good fix on those 2.

Room Tip: Get a room that is not facing the road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Malaysia58, Owner at Crystal Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your kind compliments on our hotel.

The problem on the loudspeaker sound [noise] could be easily solved. We will inform the owner of the shop across the road to maybe just stop using it because it doesn't really work [the advertisement]. The thing is that I'm not aware of such sound probably because it is played so infrequently. I promise will look into this matter to avoid any future disturbances.

As for the housekeeping, we perpetually endeavor to cater for our valued guests' needs. Stay-on guest rooms should be attended to first, then only followed by the checked-out rooms. We'll have to improve on the coordination of the housekeeping department. Thank you for informing us on this weakness of ours.

1. Buffet Breakfast was really good. It has local food and standard English breakfast which works for both me and my gf who has 2 different taste buds..
[Thank you. For information, we'll be moving our buffet breakfast to the Roof Garden on the 7th Floor in April 2013. Guests will be able to break fast either indoor or out in the open garden on the roof top which has both the city view as well as the Kelantan River view].

2. Internet. Seamless connection to the internet with very good speed
[we subscribe the provider's fastest available speed in the state of Kelantan. All areas in our premises are covered with high speed broadband internet access].

[Some TV stations here start broadcasting only in the evening].

[Yes, we probably have the best hot and cold shower with 5 bar or 75 psi water pressure]

Room Tip: Get a room that is not facing the road.
[We have for Deluxe Rooms on the upper floors with City View or River View]

[Yes, we shall!. At the same time we'd like to apologize for your inconvenience faced during your stay with us.

Best Regards
Sally
Manager

Reviewed February 1, 2013

This hotel was nice, the room was clean and the staff were pleasant. Only downside was the breakfast, there was a very limited choice. I just had a piece of fruit and coffee and left. Other than that hotel was good

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Malaysia58, Manager at Crystal Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Ms.,

Thank you for your review on Crystal Lodge and your compliments on our cleanliness and the warmth of our staff. We’re also delighted you have had a pleasant stay with us.

But what surprised us was your comment on our Buffet Breakfast in which most of our guests are satisfied with. Frankly, we have the widest range amongst our class of hotels [or higher] in town. For information, we are Rated 3.5 Stars.

Our Daily Western menu caters for the foreigners. We have daily fruit juices, 4 types of cereals and milk, chicken sausages, scrambled eggs, baked beans, sandwiches or potato wedges, bread/ toast with butter, jam or marmalade, sweets, delicatessen or cakes and fresh Machine Steam Brewed bean coffee, tea, chocolate malt, and finally 2 kinds of fruits as dessert.

On top of that we have our daily buffet local specialties breakfast [main menu] for the food adventurous foreigners and the locals itself. Four menus are prepared and changed every day. They are 1. Nasi Lemak [coconut rice] with chili anchovies & boiled eggs, 2. Nasi Minyak [ghee rice] with chili chicken curry, 3. Nasi Dagang [glutinous rice] with fish & prawn local curry & boiled eggs, and, 4. Chicken Rice Chinese style.

Our buffet breakfast opens from 5.45am to cater for the Firefly Airline Night-Stop Cabin Crew’s first early flight and also to cater for guests who have to fly or leave by bus or train very early. It closes at 10.00am but remains “open” until 10.30 if guests stay on.

We have never served short of the menu range mentioned above for the past many years. We feel so sorry that our buffet breakfast did not favor your taste or requirement. Please accept our apology.

Sally