“Atmosphere !”

Ranked #20 of 443 Restaurants in Langkawi
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 3, 2012

In the first of two weeks in Langkawi we had found the resturant offerings to be average at best, so we looked forward to the Bon Ton with high hopes. The first impression was not good. The entrance off the main road wasnt what I expected so be warned, there's nothing grand about it. But 'never judge a book by the cover'. Inside the place was full of atmosphere. We arrived fairly early in the evening so no problem with finding a table, It was almost empty ! The place has a great warmth thats not generated by the temperatute & humidity, its just the place!. After looking through the menu I decided on the sea food platter and my partner a mixed dish. of scewered meats Malay style ... i cant remember the name !. We relaxed on the deck overlooking the the water out the back as the sun set ...very relaxing. till our meal was ready. The food was good. Not a large portion but well presented with a good balance of spices that complemented the food rather than overpowered it. My partner wasnt really impressed with hers. I thought the cheif knows what he's doing with flavours but watch what you choose ( like any food). Yes there are cats there - but I like cats so no problem for me and there wasnt that many anyway. We had a tour of the place and good chat with the manager ( I think ). A lovely bloke with lots of good local info to pass on. The bill wasn't small but when converted into Aussie dollars and compared to a good meal in WA, think again. I paid by Cash Passport debit card and incurred a large surcharge. Why ? This was the only negative for me and as the prices were a little high when compared to other places there, I thought the surcharge unnessary and a negative for a future visit.

There are newer reviews for Nam at Bon Ton

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The owner is very friendly and will recommend you what to eat. The sunset view is beautiful but if you are allergic to cats, this is the place to avoid going to as there are cats everywhere.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Went on our first day for dinner- and almost instantly fell in love with the casual Nyonya-esque ambience, friendly staff (and that includes their resident cats!) and extensive (albeit slightly pricey) menu. Food is served in average sized portions- but we were happily stuffed, nonetheless by the end of our Nyonya platter and BBQ ayam percik dinner. Went back for dessert the following day- and I say, you will be blown away. Huge dessert portions worth skipping dinner for! Pricey, yes, but so worth it!

1  Thank Jollivet
Reviewed September 20, 2012

While it's worth a visit for a reasonably tasty dinner & a gorgeous sunset, it definitely didn't live up to the hype of the recommendations. We were surrounded by a dozen felines. The cats (former strays) roam freely around the restaurant, beg for food & given half a chance will jump up on chairs in hope of scoring a mouthful. Word of advice for future diners, don't leave your table unattended & be sure to check your food for cat hair before digging in!

1  Thank John n Steph W
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The setting here is gorgeous - outdoor terrace overlooking the paddies, the funky pool, and the wonderful restored wooden houses. You really should go for a cocktail at sunset and just soak it up. Strawberry/ basil cocktail was excellent, by the way.

Seafood platter was a bit small and rather average. Coconut based soup was great, and halloumi salad was average. Overall, the food was disappointing for the price. Service was very nice.

Gift shop is also very nice! Come see. The cats won't bother you unless cats really bother you. Yes, they are everywhere.