“Malibest = [--].....it is Mali the worst !!!!!!!”
Review of Malibest Resort

Malibest Resort
Ranked #32 of 107 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed June 2, 2008

28 of us in this holiday...but wrong choice !!!
very disappointed.
unfriendly staff - front desk - were rubbish - we arrived it was dark and humid place - fan not on - toilet at reception lousy and dirty and stink .....yuk...
terrible place - arriving in the chalet, it was dirty - we have to sweep the room. aircond not working properly, toilet was disgusting and even bed sheets are dirty.
the staff were generally unhelpful and disinterested to help.
we have to sweep and mob our own room.
what a lousy and terrible place.
we asked for extra towel...the staff ask for extra payment...
4 family and we were given only 2 towels.

• Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank lyyn

Reviewed May 13, 2008

1) Wrong choice
At 1st, we wanted to stay at AB Motel, but it was under construction, and we thought it would be noisy . We were stupid enough to think that as we were out sightseeing anyway. No construction in the mornings and at nights. We could have enjoyed the beach + sound of the waves at these hours.Only later, while walking by the beach, we found out that no construction noise could be heard from the beach banglows/rooms at all ! Not only that, we also learnt that Malibest's cheapest room is half the size + 25% more expensive than of AB's Motel beach rooms. What ??!!

2) Rats in the room ?
At 1st, we stayed at Rm120/room per night. We heard some noises after we switched of the lights. We were too tired by our jungle trekking that morning that we just ignored it. the next morning, the banana we bought from the stall nearby was bitten , looked like by a rat. We told the receptionist and she said that it is normal for wooden chalet. What??!!

3) Unfriendly manager
We've stayed at many hotels, whether it's a 5-star or budget, we were always greeted with smiles. But here, no smile, especially the girl sitting in front of the computer. Later, we found out that she's the Manager. We realized she never smiled not even once , for the whole week we stayed there. A snobbish Manager . What ??!!

4) Tree top room - not good experience
Day 3, we had the chance to walk by the beach. We wanted to check out to another hotel when we saw the tree top rooms, and we decided to experience it. We went to the front office and asked if f the tree top room is available. To our luck ( or unlucky ? ) , someone cancelled the reservation for Rm180/night. We were a bit relunctant as we were eyeing the Rm200/night. Then, Edy, one of the staffs asked if we wanted to see room 1st. We said OK, and followed him to the room. All about the tree top room is small. Small room, small bathroom and small balcony. But, since Edy was nice (the only staff that smiles ! ) enough to show the room to use, we decided to experience it anyway. another reason is that we heard it is hot market and very hard to get. And so, we spent 2 nights there. We don't recommend this room. Not worth the money especially when the mattress is smelly and the balcony chair is torn and can't be used. There is an ironing board without the iron. We had water problem, which was solve an hour later. The surrounding was also noisy due to the activities on the beach.

5) Room on the other side of the road - big & clean
We wanted to move another hotel when we realised that we haven't walked around the attractions in Pantai Cenang yet, and so we check in into the only available rooms apposite the road (not the beach side). Surprisingly, this room is big and clean. It was Rm120/night. The 2 double beds can accomodate 4 people comfortably.

After staying 7 days 6 nights there, experienced 3 types pf rooms, we aer sure that we will not return to Malibest. Next time, it's definitely AB Motel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank Tru_69
Reviewed May 9, 2008

We book 4 treetops with fullpayment through 2 agent (journey malaysia and bonus travel)...when we handed the vouchers to the front desk staff, he said our journey malaysia voucher is ok for 2 treetops,but the bonus travel voucher not confirmed yet..
I said, this vouchers wrote confirmed by one of malibest staff....
After a little argued, he told me to contact my agent where i bought that...I bought this through website..
Then he offerer a solution, we must pay RM20 per treetop cause the rate is different he said...
I refuse that...How a booking that confirmed by malibest staff and shown at the voucher need a price adjustment...What a shame....
Aftter almost 1 hour they said its ok now....You can proceed to your room...Without teeling us the direction.....
I love the location,,,its perfect for us,,,,,and the staff at the beach hut name Azmi that arranged Island Hopping and Pulau Payar trip is the best...
Treetop room is just ok,,,with a little sand inside the room,,,but its acceptable, very small bathroom......

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank gomed
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Not a terrible experience.The front desk were pretty rubbish - arrived when it was dark and had to basically drag a very heavy bag on the sand about 150 metres to the room. Not easy as they had given poor directions. No lights on outside room and was not sure which was ours so tried to enter someone else's room by accident!

We were staying in a tree top room and the view was amazing, the beach being absolutely stunning.

The room had a decent telly, air con and an ok shower, however, it was very basic with a very hard bed and pillow. Also, despite being cleaned everyday the toilet seat still had poo underneath the seat which wasn't too nice (not ours I hasten to add). The staff don't speak great English, but hey I don't speak Malaysian.

To be fair after coming from Phuket I found Langkawi too quiet - one bar - Debbie's which was ok. Booze on the island is insanely cheap and a definite plus if you want to be able to sleep on the rock hard beds.

I'd probably stay at a proper resort hotel next time.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I have just stumbled across this site and was un-aware of being able to enter a personal review on resorts hence the date of my stay being 2006.
I stayed in one of the tree houses directly on the edge of the beach and found it excellent for the sunsets , sunset photography , and early morning coffee on the deck while the beach was empty of people . .
The room was simple and had constant water problems, but was all I needed for my choice of location directly on the beach .
I had stayed in most of the 5 star resorts on previous trips to Langkawi and did not expect to get 5 star service or amenities for 2 star prices , and in fact preferred my isolation in the tree house .
During my stay which I extended , the room was not available for 2 of the extra days so I was to be relocated , which under the circumstances , is quite normal
The fun of this place stops there !!
The approach at reception upon the initial check -in was not friendly or any way inviting , and stayed that way through out my approximate 3 week stay.
During the transition from one tree house to another , I was made to adhere to the sign on the reception wall ...in by 2.00pm -out by 10.00am....my luggage was to remain at reception and I was to just wander aimlessly with no base in Langkawi until I was allowed into the next room at 2.00pm !!
The down side to being directly on the beach at this location is the drunken activity at night time approximately 20 feet from you , although spasmodic , but that should be expected to a certain extent in that location.
I was advised to vacate the room one day prior to the expected vacation date on the reciept I held...
Upon investigation , the room had been double booked due to no entry at all in the register of my last weeks stay. !!.....I elected to pay later by credit card (minus the last day)to eliminate any possibilities .
I was made to feel guilty because the new customer was a family with children ....my requests to see someone from a more senior position to resolve the issue were ignored and instead the police attended with the receptions claim that I was refusing to pay !!.
The owner did finally attend and within the discussions , there was a refusal to recognize my dated reciept , a refusal to have the staff produce the register which was void of my existence for the last week .
Away from everyone , the owner did offer me alternate accommodation free of charge for my last night .but I elected to seek it else-where .
I am a middle aged business man who thanks Malibest very much for their intimidation , their embarrassing situations , and the under-mining of my integrity .
My conclusion is , ..if you pay peanuts , you get monkeys !!
In Langkawi I will revert back to 5 star accommodation where at least you feel like you may be an asset as a tourist rather than just a commodity...

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple