“Be Tarzan for a night - I asked my wife to be Jane......”
Review of Malibest Resort

Malibest Resort
Ranked #29 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

It was a spur of the moment decision to stay at the Malibest Resort. Whilst strolling the length of the beach, what stood out were a couple of timber tree houses amidst palm trees right on the beach. Far more appealing than many of the concrete boxes lining the beach. Fortunately the tree house was available for just one night so we grabbed it. The room is nothing special. Actually, quite basic with dated furniture and furnishings. Quite a dark interior. Not to worry as the attraction is the balcony overlooking the beach. Other beach goers would often stop and gaze up at us sipping our beers on the balcony. Jealousy at its best!

The trees and palms provided privacy from the adjacent buildings. The staff at reception were helpful but not overly friendly. An excellent Indian restaurant adjacent to the front of the reception is highly recommended. The other must do dining experience is a short stroll along the beach to "Babylon" - a collection of eating and drinking options with a reggae theme. A pleasant change to many of the otherwise sterile dining options available.

For bragging rights, a stay at the Tree House is highly recommended. If it is not available, the other rooms seemed fine - though I am sure Tarzan and Jane would not agree.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Kaalo
There are newer reviews for Malibest Resort

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Very strategic location for food, getting around and beach is just a few steps away . Clean, great air cond and comfort. Just funny smelly towel and no service staff. overall cant complaint more as this is a very affordable budget resort. no hair dryer but very impressed with the bathroom. small but cozy

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Aidanaj
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I paid $50 AUD about 150 RM for a deluxe wooden

PROS'
- Location, location location.
Cenang beach is not very long at all about 1.5km. This place is right in the middle, close to the one bar on the beach and walking distance to food, both expensive (casa del mar) and cheap

- Each room is more or less on the beach.
I could hear the ocean from my room and I could see the beach from my front door step. 5 meters and I was on the beach.

- Air Con
- clean
- tv (I didnt switch it on though!)
- safety deposit box
- hot water
- nice bathroom

CONS'

- Dark rooms, if you like to hang out in your room its a little grim
- construction site behind my room (I am a heavy sleeper so it wasnt too bad)
- Staff aren't very helpful

Overall I was very impressed. For $50 AUD I couldnt have asked for anything better. I was in the best location, the beach was right on my doorstep and it even had awesome aircon and hotwater. Given the price I wouldnt expect anything more (except maybe a smile from the staff).
There is no pool but you dont need one given the proximity to the beach.

I viewed other accommodation nearby for future trips and I would stay here again. Any questions just send me a message!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank JS5071
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had made a booking to stay a this resort in January for 2 rooms for 2 nights. Part of the booking process was to pay 50% and we paid that amount. Just 2 days before going one of the main participants family members were struck by accident and not able to go with us.

I had emailled the resort and received very rude and confusing replies. They said yes you can change dates but the deposit will be forfeited... To me that does not mean yes you can change dates.. but means you can make a totally new booking anytime.

I asked to transfer the deposit to just one room considering we booked two rooms and could consider having paid for 1 room for two nights already.. They still didnt allow and insisted I took two rooms. Then I emailled asking if they could carry the deposit for another date after all this drama took place and they still said I can come again later and that the deposit will be forfeited.

This place totally pissed me off as it was due to an accident that we did not go and they happily took our money and had the cheek to email me later to ask if I was still coming. I WOULD NEVER GO TO THIS PLACE AGAIN. I had stayed here in 2007 but never again would I stay here and I would not recommend it again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Imber85
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We booked Malibest after reading Tripadvisor.com reviews. We wanted our accommodation to have beach access, and our room to have WiFi and aircon. After reading other comments we booked a super deluxe beachfront room... WOW what a view!! We would absolutely stay here again.

BEACH: This resort is in Pantai Cenang, which seems to be the main tourist beach. The resort is built on the sands of the beach, with some rooms (beachfront, tree house) opening literally ON the beachfront. You'll get sand in your room, but hey - beach! It's mostly clean (more litter than in Aus), waves are pretty tame (good for those new to water), and there's heaps of water sports offered along the beach in both directions (north and south).

NOISE: There is a construction site nearby, which will be a hotel, with shopfronts on the ground floor. We heard the noise, but it really didn't impact our stay. It's possible that a room closer would be worse. There was some music playing at night somewhere. Despite being DINK Aussies, we don't do the drinking-all-night thing, so I don't know where it was from. Again, didn't keep us awake. The worst noise was actually from the people in the room next to us (super deluxe beach front are built as semidetatched duplex with one common wall) and a three or four year old who seemed to have forgotten how to speak and would only cry to communicate (treehouse has no neighbours).

FOOD: The only onsite kitchen is an Indian Restaurant, which is very good, but not really my kind of breakfast food. Yet, you walk 50 metres up or down the Main Street and you'll pass many different options. Walk a bit further south and you'll find McDonalds, 24hr Tomato (several hawker stalls in one "food court" location - so cheap, so good), and Red Tomato (felt like home!). Also check out T-Jay's Italian (not breakfast).

OTHER: WiFi worked, but was slower than home (as you'd expect for free WiFi). Aircon was great, and there's a ceiling fan as well which means you can control the climate better. We were really glad that they take a 100.00 MYR cash key deposit on check-in (refunded when you return the key on check-out) so that we had money left on our last day to get to the airport and buy lunch! The shower was a little challenging because of the angle that the water comes out when it's anchored. I ended up pulling it off its clip and holding the hose between my knees when I needed my hands.

HOUSEKEEPING: This was pretty good. Seemed pretty consistent, and quick, but sometimes didn't restock shampoo or tea bags. Not a huge deal for us. I had brought my own.

FRONT DESK: Hit and miss. Hit: our airconditioner leaked and they sent someone within 30mins to drain it, and it was fine after that. Miss: the bathroom floor is angled away from the drain, so water pools next to the wall and makes it hard to reach the sink. We asked three times at the front desk for an extra towel. After the third time they sent maintenance... who couldn't re-lay the floor, and still there was no action. We just waited for housekeeping, asked directly for an extra towel, and then kept an extra towel during the rest of our stay.

Being five months pregnant on this trip (April 7th - 18th) I couldn't do the watersports I'd wanted to, so we'll come back to Langkawi in another five or so years. And I'll look to stay here again (but maybe treehouse if I can convince my heights-averse husband).

Room Tip: Super Deluxe Beach Front for the view! WOW! You are ON the beach :D
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HoldenGemini
Reviewed April 8, 2013

For a trip on a budget, I would always recommend Cenang beach and to me, this is the best hotel on Cenang. Our room is right facing the beach. The room is clean, spacious, has tv, fridge, kettle, and hot water. The staff is very helpful and friendly. We never ate at the hotel. There is an Indian restaurant at the hotel that looks a little sad. But on Cenang, food is everywhere so don't worry about getting food here. There is even a bakery a few minutes walk from our room. The beach is amazing and there is plenty to do like jet ski and paragliding. Overall, is is a good accomodation for budget traveling and I really enjoyed this trip

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelfreak25625
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We booked through booking.com and were allocated a room on the opposite side of the road to the beach. The room was nice, clean, spacious but basic. The reception takes a refundable deposit of 100 MYR for the room key upon check in. It is 200m from the fantastic stretch of white sandy beach, where there are lots of water sports on offer. There are many restaurants to choose from within meters of the hotel, and a bakery which served the best cakes! Overall it is a good hotel for those on a budget, offering good accommodation in a popular area of Langkawi.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple