“Enjoyed our stay.”

Ranked #4 of 148 Langkawi B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“Enjoyed our stay.”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed here for 3 days at the end of January and very much enjoyed our time here. The room was clean, a decent size, and the ensuite bathroom was great. We did find the common area a little to smoky, and dirty to enjoy in the evenings, (people smoking) but was fine first thing in the morning. The beach is a good 3 minute walk, and it is not the "big" beach were most of Langkawi visits, but a quieter section. We also found the sand and beach extremely hot, and although Zackry's indicated we could borrow an umbrella and bamboo mats with a small deposit, we used the mat, but we didn't see any umbrella's? The staff were great and we enjoyed our nightly walks (maybe 30 minutes) to the main strip to people watch and enjoy a meal.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Zackry Guest House was a decent place to stay. I would say the place was very cheap (especially as Langkawi seemed more expensive than other places in Malaysia). It was reasonably clean.

The room was spacious and shower OK. What was a bit annoying was that the AC was quite loud, so we actually decided to switch it off so we could sleep! The rooms were built such that we didn't overheat during the night. The beds had slightly worn mattresses, but we were tired enough in the evenings so again not too big a problem.

The location is not the very best due to it being rather South to where most of the restaurants etc are. But then, everything was still very much within walking distance!

It was clearly an inclusive hostel with lots of activities going on (for example, when we were there a mini-bus was hired, the cost split and a tour of the island was offered - we didn't participate but it seemed like a fun and good-value idea). There were lots of friendly people around. And the dogs are not annoying if you don't like dogs.

So all in all it depends on what you want. If you're looking for a fun, interactive, cheap place, go here. If you're looking for slightly more luxury - go for somewhere more expensive. Having said that, I probably tend towards the latter, and still thought Zackry Guest House was decent :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Canada
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Yes! I do review for free. I heard that some get paid to make good or bad review to influence the market...Shame on you cheaters....
This place is a good backpackers place. Good welcome, friendly ladies who keep the rooms clean, friendly dogs, pool and place to sit along, good wifi, drinking water free, coffee free, kitchen to use, economic beer in the bar, organize tours, and just 250 meters walk from a really nice and not crowded beach.
I know! some "flash packers" don't know how to behave at 2am, need a 4 x 4 sign to put the toilet paper in the bin, or close de lights...or ..you know..so they remember that they are not the only one on the planet... But I guess that's part of traveling... Compose...on the way.
Go for that place. We stayed 10 days in a fan room, no regret. (PS you may have to struggle a little to find vegetable meals on a long term)

Room Tip: Taxi the only transport possibility: taxi to/from the airport 22RM To/from the Thailand Border fer...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stayed here as it was in the lonely planet guide but were really disappointed. The room was ok, very basic not worth the money at all. We stayed in much nicer places for half the price.
The really annoying thing was the staff. We wanted to call another hostel to cancel a reservation, a local call and they seemed annoyed we couldn't do this online. Next day we wanted to book a boat to Penang and the man told us to do it online - no help given what so ever. Same story when we needed a taxi were just told to go to the top of the road until one comes by. The main man also didn't recognise me on the second day and had a go at me for filling up my water at the cooler until i showed him my room key.

I can understand other reviews because in the evenings the people working there are really friendly and invite you to sit with them and play drinking games with is fun. Unfortunately they seem too concerned with getting pissed up and then hungover the next day so don't want to help you.

I would shop around for better value places, location isn't that great either so this place doesn't offer much.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank philallen13
zackryghouse, Owner at Zackry Guest House, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
We regret for pax experience and we are glad that pax can find somewhere else with better value. For the price in Langkawi and Malaysia unfortunately we are one of the cheapest hostel meant for the cheapest desperate pax. We would be glad actually if pax can share her 'better value place for half price of ours" - in Langkawi, Malaysia so other reader can find out as well as to our knowledge we are cheaper by half than other accommodations here. I do definitely can suggest other places in other cuntries with different standard of living. So really appreciate apple to apple comparison though.
As suggested by our price range, we offered the cheapest option for our pax. Book online is the cheapest way to get ferry ticket especially since in Malaysia everything is online. Most of our guests are usually very happy to cut off travel agency price by book directly to the ferry company as they can save their money by more than RM20 per ticket. We even provide the link for every transport company.
Canceling hotel is best do online as well as other hostel can have record of the cancellation hence avoid the no show charges if hostel fail to record phone conversation. Taxi is best just to be fetched on the road side as it saves RM2 for calling service imposed by taxi driver, especially since taxi station is just across the road. For most of our guests RM2 is a "saving". However seems pax look for pampering 24hrs service that unfortuntaly with our price tag - does not included in the room rate.
Petaluma, California
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

If you have stayed in guest houses in Southeast Asia. You really only want a couple of things. Clean room, decent working bathroom, possibly hot water, and good Internet. Well they have all this and more. Friendly people with a great common room, honor system with beers and sodas in fridge. Free coffee, tea and water! Great Internet in your room. And the rooms were just fine. Great shower. It's a bit off the path but that is always fine by me. Nothing fancy just a great place to lay your head.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JahJeremy
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had such a good time staying at Zackry's guesthouse, Sam is a great guy and really good at making sure everyone staying there socializes and has a laugh. He is all about having a good time.
We organised hire of 2 cars between 10 of us and Sam took us around the island showing us places that weren't on the tourist map and making sure we all got to see/do the things we wanted to see/do and it worked out cheaper including fuel than renting motorbikes (it was a nice change to relax with some aircon and the radio on!). We also went for a local-style roti breakfast which was great as we wouldn't have stumbled across half of the things we went to had we done the trip on our own. There's also the opportunity to do a spot of fishing in the back garden..!
There's also a kitchen so you can cook your own food / water and tea bags etc.

Location-wise it's about a 20-25 minute walk from the hostel to Underwater World in the main stretch of the town, and about a 7 minute walk to the nearest beach.
I'd recommend staying here if you are a backpacker looking for basic digs and wanting to meet other backpackers. We are 22 and 23 and on a budget!

Thanks Sam for a great time in Langkawi! Lots of love, Ellie and Sam (Sam number 2)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I really enjoy staying at Zackry Guest House for my Christmas vacation!
I thought i have booked a dorm bed but i actually get a single room at here, that really make me happy when i am checking in on 24 December 2013.
My room is simple but comfortable(single room with fan), i sleep well. I can lock my stuff in safety cabinate in my own room when i am going to beach. There is only one share shower room near to me, but it big enough for me to dance inside, ha. The guest house also provide free plain water and hot water for us in the open hall.
Haha, I am having a great time with a lots of new friends from several country such as England, Germany, Netherland, USA, Switzerland and France when joining the Christmas party which organise by guest house.
Mr. Zackry is a cool guy, he look like not care about us but actually he care! Haha. I sit with him at the balcony in second night, he complaint that i am not a good listener and telling me a lots of great story. Then, we having "philosophy conference" all night long, haha, it's fun.
Sam as a staff in the guest house, he is a funy and happening guy, he always give me chance to sing in the gathering and present myself as well, haha, we are playing "King cup" together and he create plenty of joke which make us laugh a lots. Pik is nice and cheerful, she always smile and taking photo about us when we are gather together.
This place is suitable for socialable backpackers, i like this guest house's people and environment very much. I definately will come again if i am going to Langkawi.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo