“Interesting but needs to be maintained”

Laman Padi Langkawi
Half-Day Bike Tour of Langkawi
Ranked #41 of 91 things to do in Langkawi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Interesting but needs to be maintained”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

As with previous reviews, I was disappointed with my visit to Laman Padi. It was across the road from our hotel so no big deal for us to pop in but I was hoping there might be a guided tour. If I had travelled to visit this place then I would have been sorely disappointed.

We visited the museum which was informative and had a few artefacts which demonstrated rice growing/cultivation. The fields of rice are quite a sight but there is no information outside which explains the various stages of growth or types of rice etc

Overall, I would say, if you are in Pantai Cenang then have a little look, but it is not worth going out of your way to visit. Shame because it does have so much potential as a tourist attraction

Visited May 2012

• Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Potential but not seized”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I visited Laman Padi on May 16, 2012, my first day with my mom in Langkawi. Very quiet, when I reached about 11:30am. Only saw cleaners. And restaurant were closed. No signage towards museuem, what we can do in Laman Padi, etc. I can see so much potential of Laman Padi to promote our wonderful crops!

No guide in sight, no soul in the museum. some of the labels were taken off , not replaced, bad lighting. Staff should not leave the place unattended. They should take turn to mann the attraction.

Very sad to see this , as a Malaysian, I felt so ashamed to even call this an attraction in Langkawi!!

Visited May 2012
London
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Neglected and eerie”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stopped in as this place is opposite our hotel - we knew there were restaurants and a spa there and had thought there was a rice museum and guided tours of the padi - we found the (very expensive) restaurants and the spa, but there were no guides, the museum seemed closed and there was no information anywhere on opening times or tour times. It could be a great attraction if there was some information on what you're looking at, but as it happens it wasn't worth the ten minutes.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Could be much better”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We visited on two days when events were happening at the padi. The ones we saw were entertaining: football and fish-catching. Unfortunately the events did not keep to the programme we were given (we had to search for someone to give us one) and we missed events we wanted to see. There were stalls selling local foods and goods, we tried the sea slug soup and some sweets. It was a great event but could have been much better organised for tourists visiting, perhaps guides to direct and explain what was going on.

1 Thank marymary27
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Dead place”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Not sure why but when we reached there during our visit at about 1-2pm, the whole place was too quiet. There were no staffs around. I was not sure if all of them went to lunch or went for prayers at the same time. We just entered into the museum, visit around the areas, snapped some photos and then leaved with disappointment. You can skip this place, really nothing great about it.

Tips: There are some drinking water dispensers around this place. You can fill-in water for your water bottles here. Free of charge. Otherwise, you may need to purchase mineral waters around some shops since not all hotels provide this facility.