“Awesome location”

Vivanta by Taj Rebak Island, Langkawi
Ranked #10 of 108 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Stayed with Family from 29th July for 4 Nights, Resort is situated at island, 10 minutes from Langkawi by boat. This is the only property in that small Island. This place has lot to offer especially the privacy, peace and away from hasty routine. they have transfer facility to mainland almost every 1.5 Hr.

They arrange for Nature Walk, Yoga, Archery, Jungle Walk etc.

If someone enjoy peace and nature, this is the place

Room Tip: Unit Facing Sea Shore are best located
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Hiren_D_A
Write a ReviewReviews (2,096)

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We are family of four with two children 14 and 10. This is probably best ever vacation we had. We stayed at Taj for 5 nights, Jul 27th to Aug 1st. We had chosen a one bedroom suite overlooking the Senari Straits. The room was very comfortable, spacious with two balconies and a spacious closet & bathroom including a tub, shower cube.

The day we arrived, that afternoon, the kids enjoyed the beach and spent the evening looking at the dead corals after the low tide. On day 2, the exec chef Suffian hosted a cooking class to cook Chicken Rendang. My daughter who is a chicken fan, ranked it as the best ever chicken she has ever tasted. On day 3 the Chef. Suffian had invited us for another class, this time the local chicken satay, He made it even more interesting by inviting our daughter to marinate, our son to skewer it and finally myself to grill it. The fresh peanut sauce was awesome. To complete the meal, the Apam Balik, the malay version of crepe with sweet corn and peanut filling.

Rest of the week was as pretty much do nothing, lazing around the pool or the beach during the hight tides.

The happy hour drinks were pretty good and the Hari Raya (Ramzan) dinner buffets were full of varieties with very little duplication of dishes between the dinners.

Taj is always known for his hospitality and this is our second Taj stay this year (first one being at Taj Exotica in Goa). There were few folks who made this stay a most memorable one for our family. First of all, Loo, the chief security officer, greeted us as we got of at the jetty and took the time to say good bye as we got back into the boat five days later. He gave us enough tips to for our KL stay later that week, Exec Chef Suffian, his Indian Chefs, Ari, his butcher chef and pastry chef (who's names beat me know) were probably the best we had seen in all our travels. Murali always at the restaurant and taking care of our daughter's special needs, our buggy driver Mamun, always with a smile to greet and handy with tips for our Langkawi day trip, last but not the least, Murtuza, our housekeeping, took really good care of our needs in the suite.

Overall, a dream vacation...

Room Tip: nd recommend taking the seafaring suites, good for family of four.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sri N
Reviewed August 2, 2014

My family and me stayed at the resort for 4 nights in July celebrating my birthday ( though the hotel didn't make any effort though my dob was known - no not complaining but expected this from taj)

Our overall experience was between good & average. I do want to highlight a few areas based on my previous experiences at taj properties. Was a bit disappointed

1. Restaurant staff including the sous chef - I must say that the staff really goes a long way to make guests comfortable. We loved the interaction and also some of the cooking lessons

2. Breakfast buffets - while the food was good, we we're put off a little bit by the extra charges for my 6 yr old. We have travelled a lot but never had this experience where kids her age get charged additional. The staff appeared to have been trained to ensure that the guests sign off the charges as soon as possible and in the event the bill weren't signed off send a service staff to the room and insist sign off even when do not disturb was hung on the door rather than having it in the portfolio and included during check out

3. While I understand this is a tropical island and expected to have a lot of insects including mosquitoes, I felt that the hotel could have done a bit more in the rooms to reduce the insects. The furniture and fittings in the room were quite old and always gave a feel that it could have insects in them. My daughter who is quite sensitive to insect bites ended with quite a few bites & rashes

4. Check out - I did ask for a late check out by one hour as we had some time between check out time and the boat time. Given I had a young child I expected the front desk to be flexible enough to accommodate the request given that it was only an hour and not past the check in time. I literally had to negotiate to get an extra 30 mins and even with that there was someone at our door at 12 noon to take our luggage. I definitely don't expect hotels to accede to all requests from the customers but would definitely think the staff needs to be more professional about this.

So I left rebak with a mixed feeling on the resort - good location, good staff & food at the restaurants but rest of the experience was average and iam sure taj given it's standards can do more

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Ramesh S
Reviewed August 2, 2014

The resort is perfect for the kind of gateway we wanted.. The staff are really friendly, they even went out of their way to celebrate my sister's birthday, they had a special table prepared for us for breakfast, followed by a cake and singing.

The rooms are old but nicely decorated, ours was located on the sea front, with an outdoor shower as well... I found them perfect!

There inst much on the island where the hotel is located, to get in and out of the resort we had to take a boat and there is a schedule for that. So if you are looking to stay in the center of the touristic areas in Langkawi this is not the best option for you, as the boat doesnt commute all night. For us it was just what we wanted, we would spend the day doing Island hopping, jet ski tour, or go to the shopping and restaurant area in Langkawi, then return at sunset back to the hotel for dinner and a calm night on the beach!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 2, 2014

This as a perfect quiet resort for our honeymoon , the staff where fully attentive and nothing was a problem for them , rooms are big and spacious and the food was excellent , travel to and from was excellent and the ferry makes the trip more exciting as you see you secluded island approaching

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights, and absolutely loved our stay. We enjoyed the peace and quiet the private island had to offer. We had planned a trip to the mainland, but ended up spending the whole time on Rebak island.

Our room (sea front room) was nice and spacious. The walking distance to the restaurant and beach was a bit more than we had expected, but it wasn't really a negative thing.

The food at the main restaurant was rather nice. The breakfast was ok, but I could imagine you'd enjoy it more, if you're Asian or used to this kind of breakfast foods. Lots of "strange" hot Indian dishes were served at the breakfast, which of course was very interesting and exotic, but I kinda missed the western style breakfast foods, also. I know it's a bit silly; why travel on the other side of the world and complain about not having same stuff for breakfast as at home! But like I said, it was interesting experience.

The pool area was just fabulous. We spent hours in the pool, and ordered nice cocktails from the pool bar every once in a while. We also spent lots of time lying in hammocks right next to the ocean, reading books and napping. We also enjoyed sitting on our own little terrace, watching the sunrise / ocean / palm trees.

The use of kayaks and bikes was free. We went kayaking and also went for a bike ride around the island, which was quite adventurous since the bikes were just falling apart! They really need to get new bikes / fix the old bikes. Seriously there's an accident just waiting to happen! My bike's handlebar was practically falling off all the time, and I almost fell several times, when the handlebar just dropped. Get them fixed!

If you're looking for a nice, relaxing, quiet holiday, this is a perfect place for you. If you need more action, bars, different restaurants etc, this won't be your hotel. But for us, it was just lovely!

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are pretty good!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2014

To get to the resort, you will have to take a short boat ride to the island. Everything you will ever think of needing during your stay, is in the resort. They have the best jet ski island hopping tour for thrill seekers and a wide variety of cuisines in their restaurant. Only downside is that it is a bit expensive considering it is still Malaysia but the hospitality and service makes everything well worth the price tag.

On the day of our departure, we had to leave early to catch our flight and the operations manager, Lou, arranged for us to have an early breakfast. He was also very hands-on during our stay, from the boat ride to the resort to our daily activities, he made sure that we were well cared for.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple