“Beautiful resort with plenty to do” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vivanta by Taj Rebak Island, Langkawi

Vivanta by Taj Rebak Island, Langkawi
Ranked #8 of 102 Hotels in Langkawi
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
“Beautiful resort with plenty to do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We enjoyed four nights at the resort in May 2014. We were excellently looked after from the moment we landed at Langkawi Airport until the moment we got the boat back to Langkawi after our stay.

If you read the reviews or check when you book, you will note that the boats to the island don't run very late. I did not find this to be a problem and being away from the main island is a large part of the appeal of Rebak. If you want to stay out tip late on Langkawi, then that's where you should stay.

We thought that the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, even when we had seen them being treated rather rudely. On one occasion we hired a car from reception and it was waiting for us on the main island an hour and a half later. Nothing was too much trouble.

We played tennis, but there were walks, bike rides, kayaks etc. if that's what you wanted.

We were given a beach view room which was lovely and had all the home comforts we needed. If you felt isolated then there was free wifi to keep you connected, which you often have to pay for at other establishments.

We loved our stay, but we had researched the resort and knew exactly what to expect.

We would thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rebak is a lush island so I would advise closing your doors quickly after going in or out as the lus...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NATLY76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Went with my sister in January 2011. Had a great time and will surely be back with my wife. It sits on a separate island by itself which makes the experience so much better. Being on a separate island comes with its downsides i.e. to go anywhere you have to take the 20 minutes or so speed boat ride to the main island but its a choice you make for an experience. The speed boats run quite often and rarely posed a problem for me. There are plenty of activities on site and beautiful bars to enjoy. The food was beautiful and we loved it.

My sister fell of the cycle and injured herself. The staff went out of their way to show us to a doctor and constantly keep asking us if we needed something. They really made us feel special and both of us have very fond memories of the place.

Its a beautiful place to be with your partner and I will definitely go back to experience it again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Me & my wife stayed at Taj Rebak Island during 14th to 18th June 2014 to celebrate my wife's birthday. This has been one of the most beautiful experience we had till date. The view from our room was awesome with the beach just few steps away from our room. The hospitality at the resort was excellent. We were served with good spread of Indian cuisine & our favorite pick of the menu was the freshly baked PIZZA. I would thank the chef for giving us the best pizza experience & preparing a special dessert for my wife on her birthday! we had ever had till date. The entire resort was maintained very well by their courteous staff. I would definitely recommend this place for everyone who wish to get out of the chaotic work environment & get lost in the nature.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuching, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

The Taj has a high standard reputation to keep. Unfortunately the Vivant concept does not keep up the 5 star service. Although the staff is very well trained to service the guests and wonderfully hospital, the qualify does not raise above an average 4 star.
The hotel has good facilities and a nice beach, especially for families with small children.
The food is OK, not great, and a I missed a morning newspaper. Breakfast buffet is very good for a four star. Best asset is the staff, fully focus on serving the guests.

• Stayed June 2014
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed there form 10th June to 13th June, booking was made in the name of Vinay Pratap. I must say that this hotel is really a paradise for honeymoon couples. Its just awsum in every aspect. The privacy was top notch for any genre of people. Very spacious room with exotic environment. The stuffs were courteous and polite. Another thing it really serves good Indian food. Lastly i had made good memories there. Its a must visit if you want to relax and enjoy. Once again want to thank my travel agent Mejor Travels for suggesting this lovely property.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Slough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Disclaimer : Before I begin my review I would like to say I had no problems with the staff at Rebak Taj. They give you excellent service and are always happy to help in any way possible. Moreover, the hotel grounds are beautiful and well kept and my hotel room was large, clean and spacious. The only gripes with the room facilities was the slow internet connection (wi-fi) and the TV picture was slightly grainy/poor quality which considering there isn't much else to do in the Hotel grounds (other than a selection of activities which require further payment) is quite dissapointing.

My main issue is how business oriented this hotel is & I commend the owner Mr Sandip Mukherjee for being so entrepreneurial in his cunning plan of cutting off the ferry service to the Main island of Langkawi as early as 7.15pm.

What does this mean for a guest? This means from around 7pm you can't travel to/from Langkawi main island to your hotel on Rebak island unless you are prepared to part with an EXTORTIONATE fee of 160 Malaysian Ringgit EACH WAY. Still confused?

You are more or less FORCED to eat dinner at their ONE & ONLY hotel restaurant which is expensive even by UK standards (100 MYR for a buffet. Really?) Unless you eat your dinner early (6pm) and catch their last ferry back to the hotel. I used to see guests bringing their own food takeaways back to the hotel on the last ferries!

Why should this be the case when we are on a holiday? Poor/expensive food choices & the hassle of clock-watching to make your last ferry back to the hotel or risk paying an exhuberent fee to return after the deadline.

I didn't feel 'exclusive' on this private island - I felt my freedom to do as I pleased was restricted & I feel sorry for anyone who was staying longer than I (4 nights) or anyone with young children.

Furthermore the buffet prices are confusingly priced & I believe it's all part of Sandip Mukherjee's clever plan. It's 50 MYR for starters/salad & 30MYR for unlimited desserts. No mention of an all-inclusive charge (isn't that the point of a buffet?) Until you get the bill of a staggering 100MYR per person. I think if they were up-front about the total cost no one would eat at the buffet. 100MYR for an asian buffet is expensive even for UK standards (£20 per person) considering in London you can dine at a top restaurant for as little as £25.00 each and have a bespoke a'la carte meal. This hotel has nerve to charge London prices for mediocre food in Malaysia & having come from KL and dining over there, I was appalled.

All in all the hotel is no doubt luxurious & well built. The staff are polite & offer excellent service. This is an excellent quality 4 star hotel but lacks a few things a true 5 star hotel would offer. But the exclusivity of a private island comes at a big cost & is very inconvenient. Ultimately YOU will pay that price. Stick to the main land!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
10 Thank sonia_kalsi88
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I spent 3D2N in Vivanta. Overall we had an excellent stay, rooms were spacious and clean, staff very attentive and loved the fact that the hotel was on a private beach and had limited guests.
Downside is that the meal choice is limited and overpriced. Hotel is not recommended for persons who are foodies and enjoy nightlife.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple