“Expensive food.”

Vivanta by Taj Rebak Island, Langkawi
Ranked #9 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
“Expensive food.”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

This resort is definately a luxury resort! Very nice built, and great environment. The staff is always there for you. It`s lovely lying at the private beach, or by the pool where they also have a poolbar. The night before leaving the hotel, the bed was decorated by flowers and swans made of towels. A very nice gesture! The speedboat going several times a day to the port at Langkawi Island is complimentary in the price, and if you want to, you can easaly go for sightseeing at Langkawi island.

What was a bit negative about this resort is that there is nothing happening in the evening, and the food at the (only) restaurant for hotelguests is expencive compared to normal prices at restaurants in Malaysia.

Room Tip: We had a big room for 3 persons. One big bed in bedroom, and one bed in the lvining room. Lots of sp...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jalan307

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Travelled with 2 kids aged 2 and 6. A quick flight down from KL with good connections to Langawi. We arranged a hotel car pick up (worth it but not essential) which took about 15 minutes to the jetty where the hotels speed boat was ready and waiting to whisk us and a few staff over to Rebak.
The pool, room and service were all exemplorary. We had a two bed suite, complete with lounge and balconey. The daily service was fabulous with kind and special attention to small details such as lighting lemongrass and citronella candles/burners to keep the mozzies to a minimum. Only slight downfall was the kids club wasnt really in exisitence, okay for an hour or 2 while sneaking in a massage if pre booked day before. Staff were friendly and helpfull for us and the kids. We stayed a week and didnt want to leave.

Room Tip: Upper floors have balconey. 2 beds were huge. Easily could fit 3 kids in under 10.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Elsiehe
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We live in Singapore, and as such travel quite frequently around South East Asia to experience all the wonderful sights this part of the world has to offer. When we booked a long weekend away to Lankawi - I didn't expect too much, but what a wonderful surprise Rebak resort was!

The airport pickup and ferry trip to the island was superb and on time. When we arrived we were greeted by a luxurious Marina which added to the holiday feel and exclusivity of this island resort. Our sea view room was nice and clean, but I suppose with a view like we had we would have been happy with any room - WOW.

The breakfast is really good, as is the a la carte menu for lunch and dinner. Originally I thought the prices were on the high side (comparable with Singapore restaurants), however the variety and quality justified it and I was never disappointed. Breakfast includes really good coffee (hard to come by at most buffet South East Asian hotels!), a good variety and fresh fruit juice prepared on your command.

I would recommend this to couples especially; however families would also really enjoy the safety and beauty of the resort. But note that as it is an island resort, expect peace and quiet and lots of relaxation as opposed to action - but this was exactly what we wanted: to recharge.

A special note about the staff - the service was always friendly and helpful and we definitely appreciated this as one of the highlights! We will definitely visit again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Liana_12
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I don't like dissapointment and I certainly don't like being negative - however I have held my toungue for long enough regarding my visit to Rebak Island. It is some months since I visited The Taj on Rebak Island, spending 5 nights there after 6 stunning nights at The Andaman (Langkawi).
I come from a hotel background having managed 4 star hotels for 15 years in the UK, I know how tough it can be, but I also know what is right and what isn't. Also, please believe me when I say that complaining does not come easy to me, I very much like the simple life and very laid back kinda guy.
The decision to visit the Taj was based upon the reviews shown on these very pages of Trip Advisor, the seclusion of a 'private' island being a big draw.
It all started for me with the trip across, it's novel, a ferry ride across but the check-in guy could be a bit more friendly and informative. At the otherside you are greeted by a porter who takes you and your luggae to recepton via golf-buggy, the young porter was the friendiest person on the whole island. Reception however were a little more uninterested. the rest of the stay:
On being shown to my room the furthest away from reception, near another rundown building I noticed dirty plates, glasses and empty wine bottles at the foot of the stairs, they stayed there for 3 days. The room was just ok, not too clean, and the decor was very dated with a musty strange smell.
I quickly dropped my luggage and headed out to the bar, lunch was quite nice - beef rendang - then a short walk to watch the monitor lizard feeding at 3:00pm (ish?) that was quite interesting, lizard was HUGE!...
Ok, to keep this short lets just list the things that weren't right...
Poor staff attitude,
only 1 restaurant open,
TV on loudly in Minim Minim bar,
beach bar never open,
beach not that nice,
grounds people use leaf blowers to clean grounds - no peace!
pool bar played offensive, rap, hip hop and loud pop music (with swearing) when politely asked to put something relaxing on it was changed to Lady Gaga!... I'm here to RELAX!
the island is littered with derelict buildings, some dangerous to be in or around,
there is building waste and rubbish everywhere - on a walk through the rain forest I tried to get onto a beach but simply couldn't due to the amount of rubbish - I'm quite active, having taken part in the London Triathlon and taught climbing and abseiling and I couldn't get near the beach.
staff looked shabby, disinterested, and unprofessional, it seemed like it was everyones first day working there, bar 'manager' wore training shoes.
see photo's of some areas... there are more but I max'd out on tripadvisor quantity.
All in all I was incredibly disappointed in my visit to The Taj on Rebak and wish I had stayed the extra nights at The Andaman instead. I would not recommend anyone to stay here, a shame as it COULD be stunning.

Room Tip: In a different Hotel...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
22 Thank cubralibre6
Albany, Australia
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My wife and I had previously stayed here for six nights in April 2010 and we were blown away by the service and the resort. We returned in early March this year with great anticipation, having waited two years to visit again. However we were bitterly disappointed. We stayed three nights this visit and while the resort is still a lovely relaxing place to visit, the level of service has dropped dramatically from two years ago.

Previously the staff knew your names, drinks were replenished almost as soon as they were finished, the food was beautiful and you were treated like a special visitor. This time there was no service. It was difficult enough to get the barmans attention, let alone get a drink, the waiters had to be called upon whereas previously they appeared on cue when required and overall the staff just did not seem to care.

The only staff member who registered our existance without effort was the man who serviced our room every day. He always had a smile and a hello for you.

On the plus side, the rooms are lovely with a large bathroom and the view is stunning.

Compared to last visit the quality and magic has disappeared. We will not be returning, unfortunately.

5 Thank SKI_64
River Heads, Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Well where to start - some great things about this resort and some very average things too.

Great stuff:
Location is lovely - good beach, quite tidal but you get that.
Great pool and swim up bar
Plenty of sun loungers around pool and along the beach
Good Breakfast covering a wide range of cuisines
Good food in the restaurant
Peaceful
Friendly Staff
Free transfers to and from Langkawi
Great view from our Deluxe Sea View Room

Average Stuff:
Room was tired, not very clean, mouldy bathroom, average tv reception
Bed was the worst ever, like a slab of concrete - other guests said theirs was the same
Food was too expensive for what you got
No choice for dining and as other reviewers have commented ferry does not run late enough to go to Langkawi for dinner and then get back to resort
Service was a bit hit and miss, some staff are sent to train at Rebak for Taj and it shows

Overall a good place to chill out in the quiet season but glad we went on a special and did not pay full price. They tout themselves as 5 star but they are no where near it. Would probably not go back as there are other better resorts in Asia.

2 Thank moontatravellers
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Having read the reviews on here and being reassured by the prices that this was a quality resort I booked for 4 nights here.

The location is lovely and this place could be good - but it's dreadful. The hotel building looks like a 60's council block and the rooms look like they were decorated at around the same time. The bathroom was in desperate need of an update and the sheets and towels needed burning.

If this were a low cost hotel I would have been disappointed, but paying £200 a night for a horrid room in a horrid hotel with one restaurant (every meal eaten in the same place?) and mosquitos who appear to be immune to jungle strength repellent is scandalous.

I was so upset as this is portrayed as paradise and actually, it couldn't be further from it. I'm not even sure that the other reviewers on here have been to the same place?

If you're looking for a 5 start resort and a relaxing stay - this is not it. I'd stay elsewhere, unless you'd like to be reminded of your student halls of residence.

Room Tip: Dont bother.
7 Thank Helen M