“An excellent stay.”

Ranked #79 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
North Berwick, United Kingdom
“An excellent stay.”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We booked into the hotel for a week to start with, until we decided where we were going to stay as we planned to holiday on the island for six weeks. We ended up staying for the full six weeks as we found the hotel to be excellent.The staff were friendly, attentive & went out of their way to be most helpful. The room was spacious, clean & houskeeping very efficient. The facilities were more than adequate, the large pool was fantastic with fresh towels always available, once again the staff were very helpful. Breakfast had a good & varied selection of foods. We tried the outdoor restaurant & it was first class.
Very handy for the airport, a car or moped is required to get about the island as it is with any location.
I have no hesitation reccomending this hotel & would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room ask for an upgrade & you will get it, the staff aim to pleas...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Our flight arrived at 8:30am and we figured we would wait around the hotel before check-in. However, the front desk was great and let us in early with no problems. We actually got a better room than we booked. We had breakfast there which is 50RM per person. It was good but not worth the price. It is much cheaper to rent a car or a motorbike and get around the island and find some yummy places to eat. The room was spacious but gives a false sense of clean. Everything is new but not well maintained. Housekeeping offered new towels but did not bother to take the dirty cups or clean the floor. The place needs a proper cleaning. Also, we found some type of maggots in the soap dish. On a positive note, the pool is great. There are not too many people and the place seems very family friendly. The location is really close to the airport and a few miles from a really nice beach (Pantai Cenng). The staff was also very helpful. They provided towels for us to take outside of the resort as well as replaced the refrigerator when it stopped working. Overall this is a nice place to stay for the price.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Megan M
Petaling Jaya
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Located 5 minutes from the airport, this is a basic, functional hotel with no frills. Do not expect full amenities because they just have nice, big rooms, a huge pool, banquet rooms, coffee house, small gym overlooking the pool and a private beach. Reception staff were very accommodating. Housekeeping needs work; room could be cleaner, no bath mat, laundry bag nor DND/Make Up Room sign on the door. The location is not anywhere near walking distance to eateries, convenience stores, etc. You would need to rent a car or take a taxi. Taxi to/from the airport is RM12. If you are an SPG member of Starwood, they have really great rates and packages by using points and cash

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at the Langkawi domestic airport via KL and rented a car at the airport, there are many car rental booths there so you won't miss them. (We paid RM70/day for a Proton Wira). The Four Points by Sheraton is just 5mins car ride away from the airport! How convenient. The hotel looked sparse and "campus dormitory" styled. The hotel reception was expecting us, which was good but they gave us a normal room with no view on the 3rd floor. Spacious but bare looking room. No iron in the room, and the towel rack even fell off when I was hanging my bath towel!
"Disappointing for Platinum members, thank god we are just going to stay here for 2 nights and already booked for our other nights stay at a higher end resort -The Andaman Langkawi," we thought. So we settled in, unpacked, showered and called to request for an iron when we were informed that they are going to upgrade us to an executive suite. So we packed up and waited for the butler to arrive to hand us the room key.
Indeed, the upgraded suite was much bigger, it has a living room with tv & dining table (which we hardly ever use). But the most important thing for us? The beach/pool view of the gigantic infinity pool! I'm rating "4 stars" only for the decent size of the room but only 2 for cleanliness and upkeep. The floor is stained, very dusty and there is even dust in the bath tub (we used the shower instead). I liked the rain shower! Silly small soap tray which doesn't hold much toiletries, soap falls through the gap. Bath towel is stained with brown and black stuff. Eeeew!
Hotel rule: leave dirty towels on ground and towels to be reused on rack right? So i left my dirty towel all "scrunched" up on the edge of the bath tub and my partner had his towel hung on the rack, as I think it is rude to throw my towel on the floor (which thank goodness I did not!). Today we returned to our hotel after a whole day out in Cenang and I came bk to find they only gave us 1 bath towel on the shelf. My partner called to ask for 1 more fresh one while I took my shower. So good to feel fresh and clean after a long hot day outside. As I cleaned myself dry, my instinct prompted me to inspect my towel. Goodness! It had the same black and brown stains on it! Imagine if I left it on the ground and they don't change it? Why clear the towel hung up but reuse the one left on the bath tub? I cannot understand that at all!!! Unless all their towels have the same stains? I am angry but I will be reasonable continuing my review.
There are lots of moths and bugs towards the evening, so bring a bug spray if you are worried. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a resort!
We always look forward to sleeping in and enjoying a luxurious breakfast on our holidays, and if i have to refrain from using bad words to describe our experience, it is just... We never had such awful tasting watered down coffee in any Sheraton hotels! The food was not fantastic either. I recall Four Points BKK have a better and wider variety. I tried the boring with not much ingredients noodle soup (only had stale fishballs, fish cake and fried beancurd cubes), my partner had the mee goreng (sweet but not bad) & fried egg. We then shared a nasi lemak with just ikan bilis (fried anchovies), peanuts and sambal. Its ridiculous that they even serve ready spread kaya toast heated in the steamer. If you have ever been to Singapore and enjoyed an authentic coffeeshop butter kaya toast, u will understand why I felt like even the kitchen's running on a "laid back, relax" attitude to present such a fare. The staff could not be bothered to attend to guests when they walk in too. Coffee is self service. We did not touch our coffee after trying it and we drove out to town to buy our own coffee. Maybe I'm fussy, so you try and experience it yourselves. Tomorrow, I'm glad we are out of here. But we love the pool, good for very long laps! :)

Chino Hills, California
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The only thing that is even remotely positive about this hotel is the pool. But even the pool could use some improvements. There is no pool side bar or service, so if you wanted a drink or something you'd have to go into the cafeteria which serves as the only restaurant on the property. The pool is gigantic, but with very few amenities aside from some pool chairs and umbrellas. There are no trees, decorations, or anything really, near the pool.

The rest of the hotel is renamed from an old Malaysian run resort. Less and 1km from the airport. It's walkable from the airport probably, if you don't have too much luggage and can stand the heat and humidity. The hotel is build like a big dorm, including the cafeteria. The cafeteria is built like a 2 story building, but there is only 1 floor, so it's very big, spacious, and airy. We went there for dinner on our first night because we didn't feel like taking a cab to town. The place felt like a mausoleum with its all white decoration and utter lack of any other type of decorations. There was a loud noise I guess from the a/c or some sort of ventilation, with no other ambient noise to stifle it. They could have AT LEAST played some music or anything, to break up the monotony and dreariness of the place.

The rooms are spacious, and like the rest of the hotel, utterly devoid of any decorations or design. At first we were upgraded to a jr. suite, which was huge, but really pointless because there was nothing in the rooms. They felt like unfinished store fronts. Also the suite opened out to a deserted field, on the first floor, and my wife didn't feel comfortable so we asked to switch to any other room. Oh, and there was a really bad mold and paint smell, which I guess is throughout the hotel, but the second room we switched to was better. Like I said, they can at least put in a couple framed pictures or any sort of room decorations to make their rooms feel less like an upscale prison.

The service was okay, and the regular staff tried to do what they can. This place is also very stingy with room towels, and sometimes would "forget" to replace towels when they come clean the room. Maybe their laundry machine doesn't do towels fast enough, but that is easily solved by the management. Get more towels or laundry machines!

Even for a Four Points, this place doesn't live up to its Starwood name. There were so many little things that they could have added that wouldn't have cost much and would have really made this place much more lively. It's styled as a minimalist kind of place, but it just turns out to be really really boring and cheap feeling. When I asked one of the staff how old the place is and whether they remodeled it, they said it was very old and barely remodeled. I guess Starwood just put a coat of white and grey paint all over the place, and did nothing else.

Location is about 5-8 minutes from Pantai Cenang, which is the lively beach town area. I recommend renting a scooter for a couple days, which is really convenient if you want to go to the cable car or even to Kuah. It's about a 20-30 min scooter ride to Kuah. There is nothing around the immediate walking distance of the hotel, and the closest restaurant is probably in the airport.

The beach is huge, with white powdery signature Langkawi sand, but the water is pretty disgusting. I think after they placed a breakwater type structure around the bay that this hotel and the airport is located, the water became more stagnant and became more of a lagoon type body of water. It looks nice from far away, but you wouldn't want to go in once you get close to it. The water is brown and muddy, like a lagoon.

Overall this place has potential if just given an ounce of care from Starwood and Four Points. It's got a postcard like pool and beach (from afar), and good space for everything, but it definitely suffers from lack of care and minimal investment. Give me even as little as $200k and I can even spruce up this place to be a lot better than it current is! There is no real amenities on this property to even consider it as a resort. Aside from the size of the place and the extremely large rectangle shaped pool, it's no better than a motel or motor inn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank milty908

Travelers are raving about these Langkawi hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for a business trip to Langkawi for one night. Got an SPG comfort room double occupancy.

Resort: From the outside, it looks like a hostel. Spacious property right next to the airport. Ample car park. Reception was huge but empty. It could have been improved by adding more decorative items/furniture- It was like devoid of character. Staff are friendly and efficient, check-in was fast and smooth. The infinity pool was super cool - This is the only thing that is saving this resort from me rating this resort as "Terrible". The beach was big but flat. Good for events and sports or just to hang out with your pals downing some beers. You also get to watch planes fly by at night and ships sailing. Gym right beside the pool which makes working out an experience.

My feedback to management: Because of the spacious design of the resort, it makes the resort very vulnerable to poor maintenance, for example: the glass facade of the restaurant needed a good wipe. The convenience store was joke, please do something to make it more presentable to tourists.

Room (External): Apparently the rooms are split into blocks - like a hostel! The journey to the room was horrendous! The corridor was filthy with cats walking outside of the rooms (I am sure any hotel property management knows the importance of hygiene!), the walls had what looked like skid marks on them (Please at least clean it up with a wet cloth or give the wall a fresh coat of paint!), the lift was terrible! (Clean it up!!! It is soooo dirty!).

Room (Internal): The room was spacious! After the dreadful walk to the room I'd expect the horror to end but it didn't end there. Wardrobe door not working, could not even open the wardrobe, there was hair on the floor (from the previous guests!), the alarm clock (bedside clock) was not functioning at all!, there were even more hair and dust below the bedside table!, there were no slippers in the room!, the kettle's inside was brown!, there was no toothpaste!, the aircond emitted a certain smell (not sure if it was mold, but it was not natural)!, the shower head could not be held into position because the apparatus holding the shower head was broken! As it was only a night's stay and I was back at room at 9:30pm, I said "screw this, i'll just go to sleep). Luckily the bed was comfortable and clean.

Summary: This review may seem that I am nit-picking on small things but I am seriously not. When you're paying USD$100+/night, the above should not even happen at all - purely unjustified!. You can stay in Tune hotel for only USD$30/night and you wouldn't even get the above problems! The Starwood group claims that the resort is 4 stars, and indeed the price you pay is 4 stars, but the experience I had was more like 2 stars. So please bear that in mind.

I highly suspect this is purely a management issue and if left uncheck will greatly mar the reputation of the hotel. It has the potential to be a good hotel if proper attention was given where it was needed the most.

Room Tip: I did not get the change rooms as I got in late. If you check-in early, exercise your rights to chan...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hotel is new but not well maintain, lift out of servise, fridge and air-cold not functioning, hotel finishing very bad. But the room is quite spacious, suitable for family stay. But do not have much facility, even don't have room service menu.