“They went for the Wow factor but turned out disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Century Langkasuka Resort

Century Langkasuka Resort
Ranked #78 of 106 Hotels in Langkawi
Hong Kong
“They went for the Wow factor but turned out disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Four Points by Sheraton went for the Wow factor with the pool area. A stunning infinity pool giving the illusion that it is disappearing onto an uncluttered beach and the sea beyond. The pool area also has a small children’s pool and a building with a mini children’s club and an adults gym. The sun loungers and parasols finish off the look. Although I feel they made a big mistake in using small black stones for the area circling the pool. Once the sun have been on it for a short while it’s extremely hot to walk on for adults let alone children.
Along with the pool area the entrance, reception and lounge is spacious, modern and clean. But it doesn’t lend itself to any sort of atmosphere. Some sort of sculpture or cultural centre piece would help break up the empty space.
The staff are a credit to the hotel. They are friendly, helpful and always have a smile and are willing to help make your stay a memorable one.
The Eatery serves a buffet breakfast which has a lot of choice including an egg station. Very disappointed with the two large urns one for black tea and one for coffee. They both taste like they have been sitting there for a couple of hours. I can not understand why the hotel can not at least have a coffee machine with decent coffee. I have been to 2 & 3 star hotels that offer better coffee and tea in a tea pot. Also offering yoghurt in an open dish in my opinion is unhygienic especially when you see someone try the yoghurt with the serving spoon and then put the same spoon back in the yoghurt. Individual pots on a tray of ice would be a better choice.
Lunch and Dinner is also served in the Eatery with a very limited menu. Again no atmosphere it felt like you were eating in a large canteen as the lights make it too bright in the evening. No other outlets available for dinner. They could do with a beach bar/café to offer choice and hopefully some atmosphere.
Now to the rooms – hmmm what can I say, I appreciate this is not a new build it’s a renovation but….. Although the rooms are large and look modern and clean we experienced several problems. I had to clean the drawers before I could put any clothes in them. The sliding wardrobe doors are already coming off the rails and are not made very well. The A/C in the rooms struggle to keep the room cool. We had our A/C on 24 hours a day (yes not very environmentally friendly) for 7 days and the temperature never got below 21 degrees it averaged 22.5. This is OK during the day but I need a cool room to sleep in at night. The bed was comfortable but bne of the pillow cases was dirty and the quilt cover had what looked like curry stains on it.
Also worth noting that the rooms are built in a corridor style with an open staircase, if you are a light sleep then this could pose a problem. The noise from other people and children returning to their rooms in the evening seems to echo down the corridor.
Bathrooms are large with a bath and a roomy shower with a rainshower head. But the tiling looks second rate with grout missing between the tiles. Also the floor in the shower looks like it was laid a couple of years ago not a couple of months ago.
Overall it’s located in a convenient part of the island, the pool is a joy to use and the staff are a great asset to the Sheraton. They have also made the right decision in making the whole of the hotel a Non-Smoking hotel. With outside areas for those that do smoke. Is this enough for me to forget the other issues…. NO. Unless they make some huge changes I will not be returning to The Four Points in Langkawi.

Room Tip: If your willing to pay alittle more then a sea view room is a must.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kawidawn
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Dear Kawidawn,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Four Points by Sheraton Langkawi Resort in this review.

We have taken note of your comment about the surface around the pool area which can get very hot in the afternoon. Hence we strongly recommend our future guests to wear rubber slipper which is provided in every guestroom.

My team takes pride in taking care of our guest’s comfort and it makes them proud when their effort is appreciated.

Many thanks for your comment on the quality of coffee and suggestion to have individual pots of yoghurt on tray of ice at Eatery for hygiene purposes. Rest assured, our Food & Beverage Service Manager is looking into it.

In our effort to uplift our facilities, there are plans in place to improve our lobby appearance and activities at our beach area in the near future.

The cleanliness and maintenance issues you have encountered in your room is unacceptable. Rest assured, my team is looking into it for improvement. We encourage our guests to provide feedback while they are still in the hotel so that immediate action can be taken to resolve any issues.

I have noted your comment on the corridor noise that travels into your room and can assure that guest privacy is always respected.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback and regret that your stay was overshadowed by disappointment. Please do contact our Resort Manager, Mr. Tasriff Mokhtar at mohd.tasriff@fourpoints.com should your travels bring you back to Langkawi as my Team and I would like to restore your faith in us.

Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

Stayed there last week 14 march 2012 with my two boys and my husband..a friend booked the place for us..didn't know much about the hotel..l found out later that the hotel is new..only 5mths old..the location is great frm the airport .5 or 7 mins only..I like the room, And i guess it's a suite room, ground floor, facing the cafe and not far frm the pool.. We had dinner at the hotel coz we were quite tired frm exploring Langkawi..the service was quite long..breakfast was ok though..mind u there're plenty of Mosquitos..the only thing I like bout it- the locations and the pool..

2 Thank Benjosh
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear Benjosh,

Thank you for the time taken to provide us with this review.

Many guests appreciate the resort’s location which provides the convenience of getting to places of interest and our huge infinity pool.

I have taken onboard your comment on the service provided at Eatery during dinner and can assure that our Food & Beverage Service Manager is monitoring the associates’ performance as well as providing the necessary training to further improve their service efficiency. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience encountered.

On the mosquitoes issue, rest assured that pest control exercise is being carried out regularly both in our guestrooms as well as the surrounding areas. Mosquito repellent is also available in the room for our guest use.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed for five nights with our baby in the beginning of March. The hotel looks fantastic from the front, and the lobby area is very nice. A bit empty though. Could do with some more plants/artwork or something like that. Very nice at the check in, although they got a bit confused when we asked about they had bigger rooms available. (Normally we wouldn't have asked, but did because we had a baby that easily wakes up and it would have been nice with a seperate bedroom) As the price would be the double of what we paid, we didn't get the upgrade, but were very pleased with the room we had booked anyway. I don't know if the hotel has a policy regarding cheaper upgrades, but if they had given us a discount on the upgrade that would have given them alot of goodwill, especially as the hotel was nowhere near full.

The room was very spacious, but it was very evident that it had been refurbished, especially in the bathroom. That was the biggest disappointment as the finishes in the bathroom was so poor, that if it had been my own I would have lodged a complaint towards the contractor. Also there was very visible mould and dirt in the shower, which you don't expect when its new and when its a four star hotel. But other than that the room was very nice and clean. They do seem to be a bit confused to what types of towels to leave in the room, as getting towels to dry our hands with was a bit of hit and miss phenomenon. But that was more funny than annoying.

The pool area is the best I've seen, and they also have a smaller kids pool. Poor beach, but with a pool this nice we didn't feel the need to use the beach. No pool bar, but the restaurant (Eatery) was just outside the pool anyway and served the poolguests. There was also a kids club, but we didn't use it as our baby was too small.

The staff (especially at the Eatery) was superfriendly, chatty but still professional, and made us feel like very valued guests. When you go out and come back they greet you at the door and welcome you back. When we ate at the Eatery we had several come over to talk to our baby, which we really appreciated, and one of the staff even took him for a tour in the restaurant and kitchen. I am guessing that we got this much attention because there weren't many guests, so they weren't superbusy. If there is anything negative about the restaurant was that at dinner they have a limited menu, and often there was things on it that wasn't available. That's fine, but they should inform of this when they hand out the menu. Also at breakfast there was lots of ants in the honey, every morning. Other than that everything tasted good and the breakfast selection was very good.

The location is very close to the airport, but nothing else. But taxis and car rentals are relatively cheap and we didn't mind at all.

We would stay here again at the current price.

Room Tip: All rooms are close to the pool, but would recommend getting one facing the poolside, as the other s...
6 Thank frureiseglad
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear sitrona,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Four Points by Sheraton Langkawi Resort and the time taken to provide us this review.

I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for letting me know how impressed you were with the service you received especially from the staff at the Eatery.

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

There are several room upgrade options made available for guests to choose at a minimum charge, I apologize if our Front Desk staff has overlooked in offering it to you during your check in.

Thank you for highlighting the comfort and spaciousness of your room despite some shortfall on the bathroom cleanliness. I have shared your concern including the towel issue with our Room Attendants to ensure that they give emphasis on attention to detail in their room cleaning process.

The ants on the honey at breakfast and unavailability of some items listed on the dinner menu at Eatery is unacceptable, rest assured that our Food & Beverage Service Manager and Executive Chef are looking into it for improvement and to ensure item listed on the menu is available. It is kind of you to highlight our breakfast selection – an area that we continue to focus on.

Many thanks for your suggestion to improve our lobby area.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

i’ve just stayed at the resort with my family members (early March) and everyone was very happy with the overall experience. The scenery at the resort is magnificent with the large swimming pool facing the ocean. The room is also great and extremely comfortable to stay.

All the staffs were attentive and friendly plus the food was good too. You must try the Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice) and Nasi Ayam (Chicken Rice)

Will definitely return to this resort again on our next trip to Langkawi. Well done!

Room Tip: Get room by the swimming pool
3 Thank Art_Tat
Dear Art_Tat,

Many thanks for sharing your recent experience at the Four Points by Sheraton Langkawi Resort in this review.

I am very happy to know that you enjoyed our hospitality and the comfort of our guestroom. The location of our swimming pool does offer nice scenery especially during sunset that many guests enjoy.

It is kind of you to highlight on our signature dishes “Nasi Goreng or Fried Rice” and “Nasi Ayam or Chicken Rice” that offered at Eatery.

Once again, thank you for your support and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

After reading a few bad reviews about this property, my 2 girlfriends and I decided to just give it a try. To sum it up, we had no regrets on our stay there. The hotel still smell of cement and paint as it is rather new - not a bad thing actually. The rooms were really really spacious (We could actually play badminton in there). The infinity pool is a winner while the beach, mediocre. My friends and I liked the buffet breakfast. The variety, food quality and presentation was really good. The staff were always courteous and helpful.

The only unpleasant encounter we had was when we came back one evening to discover a pool of water outside our bathroom. There was a leakage coming from the air conditioner. The hotel maintenance personnel was quick to come to our rescue and it took them a while to solve the leakage and mop the room. We were really tired after a mangrove tour that evening and waiting was not within our threshold. A service recovery is not expected but will be appreciated in view of such circumstance.

This hotel is about 5 minutes drive from the airport. Not very near to 'civilisation' such as Cenang Beach, which may be a good thing for the discerning guests who wants peace and quiet. I would strongly advise that you rent a car as it is cheaper and easier to get around. Langkawi roads are quite safe and straightforward, just be extra cautious while driving at night as cows may just pop out of nowhere in the dimly lit roads.

Four Points should look into its aesthetics such as creating a more lush landscape, art and decor and also, pay attention to the finishing touches in the nook and crannies in the rooms. We noticed cement, paint stains on the walls, floor, ceilings and cobwebs behind the furniture. There seemed to be mould stains on the bathroom tiles - something I would not expect from a new hotel under the Sheraton flagship.

Overall, I had a pleasant stay and would not mind coming back again.

Room Tip: Request for rooms facing the pool.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Merlion2007
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
Dear Merlion2007,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your recent experience in this review.

I take concern of our guests review and work closely with my team to further improve on shortfall areas for guests comfort. The inconvenience you had encountered with the leakage in our guest room is very much regretted. As service recovery procedure is in place, I am disappointed that this was not offered during your stay. Rest assured that this has been addressed with my team for improvement.

I appreciate your comments on the detail cleaning of our guestrooms and can assure that our Room Attendants give attention to detail in their cleaning process,

It is nice to know that the room spaciousness, good buffet breakfast and friendliness of our staff had made up to your pleasant stay.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

After reading other reviews I had some concerns about this property, but was pleasantly surprised, SPG Platinum member's get nice upgraded suites and this property was very reasonable using $ and or points. The Infinity Pool is spectacular (something out of a W Hotel), but the beach is very average. The amenities are simple and nice. This would be an excellent budget accomodations during a stay in Langkawi. Great location to airport (5 minutes) as well as to Keah City (45 minutes - nothing really there) and the Cable Car which is highly recommended (20 minutes away)...

Staff helpful and certainly trying their best especially at front desk and restaurant.

Room Tip: As for the Suites...Nice large living room and bathrooms...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear lawrencejho,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Four Points by Sheraton Langkawi Resort.

I appreciate your positive reviews that enhance our guests experience and trust services provided especially by staff from Front Desk and Eatery met your expectation during your stay.

Many guests appreciate the resort’s location which provides the convenience of getting to places of interest and our hugh infinity pool. I have acknowledged your comment on our beach, rest assured that there are plans to have a bar and water sports activities there in the near future.

Damansara
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

I truly enjoyed when I was at Four Points. This Resort is very suitable for people who really wants value for money. The overall concept is simple but the resort layout is beautiful! It’s located very near to the airport and the swimming pool is facing west. So almost every evening you can witness a spectacular sunset if the weather is good of course. I would recommend this resort which is ideal for vacation, honeymooners, newly-wed couples and of course for family trip.

Tips: Must visit the Underwater World and Oriental Village (Cable Car)

Room Tip: The room is very spacious and clean. The bathroom is excellent
1 Thank Khairil Akram M
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkasuka Resort, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Dear Khairil Akram M,

Thank you for your positive review.

Many guests like the simple and uncomplicated concept of our resort and our huge infinity pool. Also great to hear you appreciated our location which provides the convenience of getting to places of interest and the airport.