“Absolutely Horrible! A Dump ! Don't ever stay here !”

The Lanai Langkawi Beach Resort
Ranked #53 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Matsudoshi
“Absolutely Horrible! A Dump ! Don't ever stay here !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed here for 10 nights during the LIMA 13 airshow. The hotel was contracted to me via the LIMA travel agent. I had read the horror stories on trip advisor, and had my fingers crossed that it wasn't true, but, to my horror, every bad thing that was mentioned by previous had come true, and more. Here's an account of how the hotel is:

1) Check-In : Check in was a bit slow and it was done manually with the hotel still using old fashion keys instead of card keys. Receptionist could not really understand english.

2) Walking to the room : The hallway was musky and you could see that the establishment was run down with all paint and old wood.

3) Here comes the worst part, THE ROOM: I opened the door, and i could see the old fashion room with old wood. Immediately, i could see the water leak stain marks of the aircon. The wall below the aircon was black with mould. I then proceeded to put my suitcase in the cupboard....BUT, the whole cupboard shelf collapsed. I inspected the shelf and to my horror, the shelf had collased a couple of times previously and the wood was chipped away, so it couldn't balance itself on the makeshift nails holding it up. Totally unacceptable.

4) The toilet, just as other people had experienced, was the worst part. It's the worst toilet i have been in in my whole life. First, you could see the dirt and grime staring you in the face in the shower room. It was all black and the walls were brown with dirt and moldy. The shower had hot water for like 1minute ....and subsequently, there was no water at all ! Imagine showering halfway then suddenly the water disappears...awhile later, it comes back on, but it's all cold water, then the water comes and goes again. It freaking sucks big time !

5) The room aircon was leaking as expected...and the carpet and the entrance to the toilet was all soaked.

6) The bed was horrible too....the sheets were not clean and you could see drops of old blood stains or what not. Even when i had the sheets changed twice.

I then made a complain to the front desk asking them if i could change rooms or check out of the hotel, but nothing could be done as all the rooms were the same. I then asked for the defects to be rectified...but after 1 day, nothing was done. I had to go down to the reception to drag a repair man to fix the problems. The shelf and aircon was fixed, but there was nothing they could do about the water. I guess its due to old pipings.

THE WORST PART was:.....there were BED BUGS. During my stay, i caught 3 bed bugs on my bed. It was mentally distressing knowing that there were bed bugs.

All in all, it was an unpleasant, horrible stay in a dumpster hotel/resort. This hotel deserves less than 1 star and should only cost less than $50 a night in my opinion.

DON'T STAY HERE ! Your money can be better spent elsewhere. Oh yes, i forgot to add that there is no internet connection in the rooms.

Room Tip: Don't stay here !
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Money54321

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Penang
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

No respect.. Bad attitude, no manner... Maintence guy called En Man came n shout to us n say" get out! Can' believed this guy... Cause we are not house guest n not allowed to use water or toilet, but we spend at beach cafe more than what he expect. Never again to the place. Anyway the cafe staff are very warm n have a great service, thumb up for them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KenichiLaw

Travelers are raving about these Langkawi hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in March and had a nice relaxing time. The cab from the airport was only about 15 minutes & the cabs are a standard fare of 20 ringitt. We arrived quite late on our first night and the hotel staff were not at all friendly - we also had to carry our luggage to the 3rd floor as there is no lift so not a great start. We wanted to go for a drink on our first night but it was about 10.30pm & there was nowhere to go other than cactus bar over the road which was quite dead (we saw this on other nights & it was really busy so we must have just been too late)- we later spoke to a cab driver who said every in Cenang & Tengah shuts down by midnight.

This resort is in a quiet location but only a 5 minute cab journey (6-8 ringitt) to the main strip of restaurants and bars. The beach is amazing - lovely white sand & the pool is nice - although a bit disappointed to see there used to be a pool bar that was no not used.

We stayed in a deluxe room which had great air conditioning. The room was big but quite dated with lots of dark brown wood but the bed was lovely - huge & really comfy. There was free wifi in the reception which you could pick up around the pool if you were in the right area. There was also free beach towel hire & they provided water in the rooms each day.

We had breakfast included and it was quite nice, toast & cereals & pastries and then a few hot options including an egg station.

There is a shop over the road which is handy & it does scooter hire which we did - very cheap only 45 ringitt for 24 hours - we drove to the cable car which was a nice journey. the cable car is at the oriental village which is a nice change of scenery but nothing special.

Places to go:
Boat Restaurant over the road - cheap Asian food good for lunch
Beach Garden Resort in Cenang - one of my favourite places - lovely cocktails on the beach.
Brasserie Bar in Cenang - 2-4-1 cocktails 4pm-6pm - definitely do this it's so cheap 18 ringitt for 2 cocktails on the beach -lovely setting.
Baan Thai restaurant - really nice food right next to Brasserie.
Oasis bar on the beach - lovely beach setting again.
Orkid Ria in Cenang - very popular seafood restaurant

I would stay here again - especially for the price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We spent two weeks at the Lanai over CNY with our two young daughters.
We were a bit concerned after reading some of these reviews, but were very pleased with our stay overall.
The rooms (we had 2 adjoining rooms) were fine. Comfortable beds, AC ok, bathrooms ok. They did a fine job cleaning them daily.
The pool was wonderful. We were in it daily.
The buffet breakfasts were great.
The staff were helpful and kind. They were always willing to give us travel advice.
Looking at some of the more negative reviews, I think people perhaps confuse this kind of resort with a five star American experience. It isn't that.
It was a fine place, and we would be happy to return.
If I were a younger person looking for evening experiences, I would not stay here. Tengah is too quiet.
If you have a family with kids, this is a great choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I wanted a quiet beach and I got it. The hotel is located 5 min taxi drive from bars and shops, but thanks to that it is quiet and laid back. It is a beach side place with plenty of sea loungers and a lovely beach bar. The beach was nearly empty during Divali weekend.
The hotel needs some paint. I had a ground floor room with a liitle patio which was a nice bonus. The room itself was VERY dark during the day and in the evenings. The lights were really bad, forget about reading before sleep. There was no WiFi in the room.
The bathroom was run down and not a nice place to be in.
Breakfast was crap with a mish mash of western and local food. All low quality and some food ended after two days (cheese and cold cut). They did not replace it. Instead they servied french fries... When asked for salt I was directed to a bowl of dirty, disgusting thing. Also, the service at breakfast is rather useless. They clean your table the moment you stand up, even if you just went for a cup of coffee and left a full plate.
I did not try the pool, but it looked clean.
Overall it was not worth the money. You can get a better place for less. The only plus was the empty beach on your doorstep.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms have french door opening to a little patio with a table and chairs. Nice for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

As we arrived at the Lanai our hearts sank, it was very brown and gloomy but the pool looked OK. The 2 young ladies checking us in weren't the friendliest and as we climbed the 3 flights of stairs with our cases up depressing corridors we wondered what we had come to . The first room we went in smelt very musty and didn't have a balcony so I went straight down and asked for another one. One of the receptionists ignored me completely and the other handed over another key. This room was equally musty but at least was slightly lighter as it had bigger windows, although there were gaps under the door which we plugged each night with a towel. I put a towel in the wardrobe to put our clothes on as everything felt slightly grubby. They gave us water each day and there was a kettle and cups but the cupboard containing them smelt so awful we couldn't use them - I had to take a deep breath to go Ito the fridge!!!! The bathroom was awful, in all my years I have never had a shower with a wooden floor and theair con pipe dripping into the shower cubicle. My husband spoke to the male receptionist and said we weren't really happy with our room but he just shrugged and said they were all the same. On the plus side, the breakfasts were good, the beach was beautiful, the scenery was amazing, the bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean. It really just needs a bit of TLC and a jolly good clean. Some fresh paint and pictures in the corridors would make it look less like a hostel. The resort was good with lots of places to eat . We especially liked the Sun Cafe and the Steakhouse.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Englishmenabroad
Malmo, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

The Lanai hotel is a quite cheap hotel, and you truly get what you pay for. The staff in the reception were very friendly and helpful during check in, and we were able to make an early check in as well, which was appreciated by us.

The room was quite small, but enough. We had a nice seaview (room 309) from our small balcony, and over the pool area. The bathroom was very simple. We had a shower with warm water, BUT the warm water were only present for 2-3 minutes, thereafter the water was freezing cold - NOT GOOD!

The aircon worked properly for a few days (we stayed at lanai for 11 days). After 4-5 days the aircon started to leak water, so the result was an inside pool on the floor. We informed the cleaning staff and the staff at the reception, and they were quite helpful and solved this problem immediately by putting a towel beneath the aircon. NOT GOOD.

Otherwise the room was good.

The pool area was clean and nice. During the 2-3 first days of our stay at Lanai the water in the pool was crystal clear, BUT hereafter the water became green and blurry, during the remaing days the water was still green and blurry - NOT GOOD!

The beach area was perfect, exactly like in the hotels' pictures. Further on, this hotel was located approximately a 15 min walk from the city heart of cenang. The taxi from the hotel to cenang city heart took about 5 min, and cost only 6 RM.

Thus, if you looking for a cheap hotel with a lovely seaview, and prefer freezing cold water in the shower, and are into green and blurry water in the pool, and an inside pool on the carpet beneath the aircon - this is the hotel for you. You'll get what you pay for.

The hotel also arranged a wonderful christmas dinner, and had a party at new years eve!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple