“Like a home stay”

Sarong Guesthouse
Sarong Guesthouse
Ranked #37 of 161 Langkawi B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I was picked up by the owner in the airport, which was a good idea due to the not so central location of this guesthouse. Not so many taxi drivers actually know about it as it's fairly new. But if you get pick up, all this is more of an advantage because it's new and clean.

It's good to be located away from the hectic city beach, and I didn't have any problems getting around. I was planning to get a scooter the first day, but since I was the only one staying I got special service. The owner first took me out for lunch in a local restaurant, then after he drove me to the beach and we briefly stopped by the guest house to shower before he took me for dinner and sunset together with his friend. So already the first day, I had a packed program.

The next day I cycled to the waterfall for some sightseeing, and when I returned back I was again taken out for dinner and later for drinks.

It was a perfect place tfor a solo traveler, every day I got good advice of things to do like massage, scooter trip, and yoga at the beach. This followed up by dinner and drinks with him and his girlfriend's daughter. We had such a great time together, it was sad to leave the island.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hilpon

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We visit Langkawi 9 friends and stayed here mostly because of the price. The dorm room was clean and had room for all our stuff.
The owner is so friendly and helpful with scooters, taxi and other things we needed.
He serves a very cheap breakfast at the guesthouse.
Be aware of the location - we didn't mind the distance to the city (10 min walk).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Katrine P
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The owner is a really friendly guy and really makes an effort. He felt a bit like dad, but not always in a good way. Told us to shut door, take of your shoes, dont shower to long, etc. he wanted to take us everywhere so really good if you travel on your own.

A good new hostel but its good for the owner to let loosen up a bit about small things, its a hostel!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arjen v
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Great hostel for travelers. It is a bit off the beaten trail and offers that awesome mix of peace, good times and great people that everyone hopes for when they stay in a hostel. The owner is incredible and knows the island like the back of his hand, anything I wanted to do, he made it happen and at a great price! Everything about this hostel makes it clear how much time, effort and care has gone into it from cleanliness to hospitality, I can't recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo