“Slowly getting to 4 star”

Resorts World Langkawi
Ranked #23 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed March 3, 2013

At first, i wanna give this hotel a 2 star after so many times staying here. THe last experiences was so bad i wanted to give even 1 star to this hotel. But i just stayed there recently and i can see they're trying so hard to renovate and giving back this hotel its former glory. The most obvious changes is the name from awana to resorts world langkawi. the garden view room was previously in a very bad condition, circa last year november. But now, they're all repainted and given a nice touches here and there. I noticed even the cupboard is new and the TV too!
As for the food, its still the same, not so good but not that bad. The service is so-so, and the swimming pool also the same and seriously needed a much renovation to stay relevant to this hotel. Apart from that, the location of this hotel is very remote, suitable for those who seeks peaceful and serene places. Nice place to see sunset and sunrise in the morning.

Room Tip: Please go for seaview room as all its seaview rooms are facing a nice sunrise early in the morning.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Resorts World Langkawi

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have made last minute booking for this hotel at Langkawi Airport through Agoda. When check in I were told my details not updated yet but still managed to check in smoothly. After dinner I noticed the room is not cold, I called the front desk, within 15 mins the maintainance staff try to fix but fail. The front desk immediately arranged another room for me. Staffs service is good and friendly. The room is big and come with 2 queen size bed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Christinaang64
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in January 2013 for two weeks with Aurinkomatkat. We had a lovely sea view and really loved the location near a small port. Outside the hotel my 2 years old son could see monkeys and different birds. He also loved the colourful fishes at the entrance of the hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpfull and they were very wonderful to my son. Special thanks to the lovely receptionist Sofea that helped my son when he had hurt his leg and also assisted us with all the information we needed. In the afternoon we could give bread to the fishes and that was very funny. The swimming pool was also very suitable for families, because the hotel had two swimming pools for children and one for adults. I also liked that the hotel had big shops where I could byu drinks and nuts for us. I really recomend this hotel for families and advice you to take a room with sea view. Suzanne Vuorenmaa from Finland

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzanne1968_4
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Overall - Clean and functional. Value for money.
The room standard varies enormously - some are pretty dated and in need of refreshment, but the 'off the beaten track' location, and the stunning views make up for all of that.
Staff are very helpful and friendly - with the exception of the lady with the make up on reception. Has a very bad attitude and needs to remember, no guests = no job.
Breakfast is excellent, huge choice.
Small swimming pools but excellent for smaller children, fun and very clean.
Dinner in the restaraunt was good (infinitely better than many of the 'main street' places in Cenang).
We also took the boat trip - 3 hours to the Lake of the Pregnant Maiden, Eagle feeding etc from the hotel, very convenient and well worthwhile.
Sea facing rooms - expect an early wake up from the fishermen heading out to sea. Thoughtful of them because sunrise is simply beautiful. Garden facing rooms, look out for the Hornbills who frequent the garden and keep your camera handy.
If you have small children, save your breakfast scraps to feed the fishes - your children will love how the sea seems to boil as a feeding frenzy erupts.
Negatives - WiFi - expensive at 10RM per hour
Sliding doors to Juliet balcony - difficult / impossible to lock and no safes in the rooms,means you have to carry everything of any value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank helend10
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The location is the best thing about the hotel. Far away from the sea, you can see the hotel with its white lighthouse and yellow exterior. But interior needs renovation. Bathrooms are disappointing (no bathtub and washbasin inside the room) and there's no free internet with a deluxe seaview room!!! yes unbelievable and even when i wanted it on payment, i was told the connection was down. But staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: Seaview is must or choose another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Resorts World Langkawi or Awana Porto hotel is the kind of place that makes no great impression on you, either good or bad.
The price was okay the location was a bit far out of town the rooms were okay but need to be updated the staff are competent and polite the restaurants are like hotel restaurants the world over.
The design and layout are interesting but there is no beach. The property is pretty big but there is not very much to do.

It is a great place to stay if you want to be close to the boat excursion pier, but because we visited Koh Lipe in Thailand we were forced to drive 45 minutes to have our passports stamped, twice. Once to exit Malaysia and then on our return.

Of course I do realise that I exited and then re-entered a country but it did make for a very long day.

If I went back to Langkawi I would pay more and stay on the beach in the center of town.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cps66
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Travelled in September 2012.

We arrived in Langkawi at around 9 am. Rented a car and drove to the hotel. Check in time for the hotel is at 3 pm. We went to the hotel at around 9. 30 am and asked the reception if we could check–in early, not surprisingly, of course, they said they had no rooms ready. So, we told them to give us a call if they had any rooms ready. Did not receive any call from them at all. At around 2.30 pm, we drove back to the hotel, and when i walked to the reception, the guy gave me that look “Oh No, I forgot to check or call her back”. Fine. At 2.45 pm, they still had no room and asked us to wait for a little while. So, we waited. Finally, at 3.30 pm, someone came to me to say, they have 1 room ready. So, we gave the room to my friends first and waited for the second room.

While waiting, my bf was at the lobby, while i followed my friends to their room. Our room was still not ready at 4.30 pm! At almost 5pm, my bf went to the reception and gave the lady boss (front office manager) a piece of his mind, and mysteriously, they had a room ready, but, wait. My friends were in Block 4 and we were in Block 5! –which is a very long walk away.

Let me ask you something? We booked about 5 -6 months in advance. Is it possible that they are fully booked during a low season? And they can’t find any room for us next to each other? Then the front desk manager said, they’ll give us a room nearby the next day and upgrade us to a better room. The next day, we did get a room in Block 4 BUT wait, a sea view with a huge tree in front of our window. We paid almost 100 bucks extra for a nice sea view room, not a tree view! I was furious! Called reception and said, I’d rather stay in the previous room we were at. Then, of course, mysteriously, the room next door to my friends was mysteriously made available for us to move into!

The only thing i have to say is- our next trip to Langkawi in July 2013. We will NEVER EVER COME BACK! They’re service is below par. It’s not worth the money you’re paying even if the view is gorgeous. I’ve travelled to many countries overseas and locally, we are the kind of people who are willing to pay for good service, but Awana Porto Malai, NO-NO, i’ve stayed at better budget hotels with better service than this hotel

What's baffling is that they have a big sign-board at the reception for guests to write a review on trip advisor of their experience in this hotel, if i were in the management of this hotel, i would hide that sign board and wouldn't dare open trip advisor to read all the horrible reviews about this hotel.

Service: Horrible!

View: Excellent view, it’s beautiful only if you take a sea view room

Breakfast: I love the breakfast but you can get the same breakfast from any 3 star or 4 star hotels.

Interior: Poor and badly in need of refurnishing.

Cleanliness: Overall ok from the outside but inside the rooms, needs more refurbishing and cleaning. The hotel is very old and run down.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends