“Just OK for family getaway”

Resorts World Langkawi
Ranked #23 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed here in the first week of Jan 2013. The location is far from the Cenang beach and quiet. Pretty hard to walk to look for food outside of the hotel as you need to drive out for 15 minutes to Cenang. i booked 3 rooms and on the first day that i arrived, i noticed that the receptionist (malay female) who was attended a group of tourist quite rude where she said something literally not nice to them in local language, 'bahasa'. I just observed her behavior and i dont think that the frontdesk job is appropriate for her. I did nothing though as there was a male receptionist who was assisting me on my check-in. The male receptionist was also not very helpful as while he was assisting me with the check-in, and asked me to fill-up a form but did not really explain on which part that i need to fill-up. Until my sister asked, what to be filled in the form and finally he explained. He gave the keys of 3 rooms and all the 3 rooms were very very far from the main lobby. it was not convenient for the old folks to walk all the way from lobby to the room (my parents got a room at block 4). When i arrived at my room (at block 5) after a long walk from the lobby, the electricity and air-cond was not working. I tried to call the reception and the Duty Manager, but there was no answer. So i walked back to the main lobby, exhaustedly dragging my luggage bag and told the male receptionist that there were no electricity of that room. He seemed surprised and gave me another room at block 3 which is closer to the main lobby. At the same time, he asked whether the room was in a good condition or not and i nodded. The reason why he asked was, eventually the other 2 rooms of my family members were not ready and they have to wait until they make the room. The buffet breakfast spread was just average for me, nothing really great about the food. I would gave the rate of 2.5/5 for the food. On 1 night, i called up the reception from my room to request for the wifi ID and password, a male receptionist answered my called and promised to return the call back to me with the ID and password but i never happened. On the last day, the receptionists were friendly and helpful in assisting me with the check-out process compared to those who helped me with the check-in. All in all, this place is suitable for family but dont give a high expectation at the hospitality service by the staffs. However, there were staffs who did their job well. My rating to this place is only 3 out of 5 stars. i would return to Langkawi but will try to stay at Cenang area instead.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Arrived on the 10/01,stayed for 2 nights.The room was spacious,bathroom was basic but its for the view that makes the money worth paying.Service was good,check in done within 10minutes.Hotel & the room was clean.Had a decent Western neighbours at both side,which spared us the unwanted noises.Located at a secluded location,which is ideal for couples.We end up spending more time in the room enjoying the beautiful view.Since we rented a car,it only took us around 7min to drive to Cenang.Breakfast was good.The staff was friendly.As for the other amenities,we got nothing to complain as we already knew we need to drive few kilometres before we book this hotel.Planning to go again and hope everything will be same as before ;)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We arrived on the 30th and we were very disappointed with the room being so far from the main hotel, the bathroom was disgusting with broken tiles and a horrid shower curtain. The carpets and furniture are stained and old and there was a musty smell. The saving grace was the view from our balcony which was priceless and we enjoyed, but even that wore thin making us leave 4 days early to go to a better hotel ( 4 points). The final straw was housekeeping never leaving enough toilet paper or doing a very good job and then a streaming Asian family moved in on one side with the mother yelling at her child the whole time. Then 2 doors down an Arab family of 5/6 moved in with the kids throwing tissues,paper cups and yelling out of there window. The breakfast was very basic and the times we wanted to eat in half the things on the menu were not available. We did have a lovely steam boat on our last night with a wonderful waiter Mey serving us. There were too many bad mannered children and adults in this hotel, talking loud and yelling in the corridors early in the morning. We will never stay here again and the whole place needs a good shake up.

Room Tip: If staying here have a sea view with balcony, buy your own toilet paper, soap and water.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leanne M
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Room was spacious and clean. Condition of the bathroom was not good. If you get the room near lobby, then it is fine, otherwise other rooms are too far from lobby. Take room with balcony and with sea view, otherwise dont to go this hotel. I had to walk for 4-5 minutes each time i want to go out from the hotel. Service is very very poor. I had to take my luggage from the room to lobby that too far while checking out. You have to take cab if you want to go to beach or for food. Nothing is near hotel premises. Hotel food is bad also. You can relax at hotel far from city, peoples while enjoying excellent sea view with beer, otherwise its not worth. My suggestion is find any hotel near cenang beach. Don't choose this one.

Room Tip: Ask for the room near lobby and room with sea view. otherwise find another hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Harsh M
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Malaysians are wonderful people and people form Langkawi are wonderful Malaysians. This rings true for the staff of this hotel. Their demeanor and eagerness to help are clearly evident. This isn't because it's what they're paid to do, it's what they do naturally.

There views of the sea and islands are special. However, the disadvantage of the sea view room is the noise from the entertainment at night. I recommend you ask to stay far away from the "Eagle Rock Cafe" and/or ask for the garden view which is not such a bad compromise.

The hotel bar and restaurants are well priced and the local town (and road toward this town) is strewn with very good and cost effective eateries. The standard of food was excellent wherever we went. Overall, the location of the hotel suited us perfectly. It was close enough to any amenities we needed and far enough away for some R&R.

The rooms are of a decent size. However, we didn't appreciate the adjoining doors to the rooms of other families and the bathrooms are rather spartan but you can overlook that for the greater good.

In summation it was a delightful holiday and I do recommend this hotel if you are prepared to overlook the slight niggles (that ironically give the place its charm).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian P
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I had just returned from this hotel. Very dirty room, poor service by the reception and house keeping. Had to call 3 times for house keeping to make our room. A bit run down for resort world genting properties. My room was at the end of the block was like a roller coster Will never come back here

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Poong126
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed in Awana for a 4D3N holiday on the 29th December to the 1st January. We stayed in a Deluxe Seaview Room with twin bedded - and that's the biggest Single Bed I ever slept on! It fits 2 person! We also requested a baby cot.

We checked-in slighly earlier about 1.00pm since our 13-month old son was seeping when we stepped out from the airport. We had our lunch in the hotel itself, the Seagull Restaurant. The food was delicious and reasonable in price and portion. At night, we wanted to have dinner outside, but since it was raining and with our little baby, we can't really move anywhere. So, we decided to have our first dinner, in the hotel again. I guess, we made the right choice! The buffet spread was good (MYR45/per pax) and we enjoyed the environment and scenery at the Boardwalk and sunset.

On the eve of New Year, they have a special buffet dinner to clelebrate the New Year. MYR120/pax comes with one coctail. Coctail taste good and most importantly, the food taste GREAT - praticalilty not variety.

The chef, Ben, the GM - Mr Yap and other crew members provided very good, helpful and warm service and they even strolled him around when we were having our dinner. They really made us at home.

We rented a car to travel around the island so moving around is not an issue in Langkawi.

But, you need to spend more in order to get MORE. There are to many hotels around Langkawi. The management (or shall I say, 'the shareholders?') should seriously look into it :

a) to refurnish the whole room - the furniture (too old in terms of age and design - very primitive)
b) change the carpet - stained and dirty
c) room slipper - should provide since the room is carpeted
d) add more room amenities - tooth paste and tooth brush, more shampoo and shower gel
e) change the old furniture at the lobby area

Overall, Awana is a good place to rejuvenate and relax. We will definately come again to Awana Porto Malai Langkawi.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with seaview
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family