We were a little worried about staying after recently reading some bad reviews regarding room availability and service. For those that don’t know this hotel, it shares the facilities of the Holiday Villa (HV). You check-in at the HV and all contact is from then on with these staff.
The Federal Villa (FV) is a group of rooms and apartments of about a 2 star standard in my opinion. We usually stay on the HV side and have never had a bad experience. We chose the FV this time as it was too expensive for us to have a 2 bed apartment or adjoining rooms at the HV. We paid AUS$200 per night for our 2 bedroom self-contained apartment; expensive by most standards, but when you are in Langkawi, this is a cheap option if you want the luxury of a large pool area and being right on the beach. We kind of knew what to expect in regards to the state of the rooms. Yes, there were chips, marks and cracks in the walls, mis-matched tiles etc...BUT everything, although run down, was clean and comfortable (except maybe the toilet which was in such a small room we had to sit sideways). These are old rooms but the beds were comfortable, the shower was hot (although you do have to switch on the heater and the pump...no big deal), it was serviced each day and we were pretty happy with that.
- Having to sit sideways on the toilet as mentioned above, please see pictures attached.
- Mozzies were really bad; we asked for the industrial strength spray each day, this killed everything on contact. I suggest you buy some mozzie coils and spray.
- The noise from “Cactus” right across the road...OMG!! They have a disco and some backpacker type accommodation at the back of the restaurant now, and the disco runs from around midnight till 4:00am pumping out “doof doof” music. I know this isn’t the fault of the Hotel, but you need to be aware of this, it woke us each night.
- Obviously the price.
- The service was fantastic, not sure what people were complaining about, but we found the staff exceptional. We had no problem with our booking (I booked with wotif).
- Check in and checkout were smooth and efficient and Eda offered us free late checkout which was very nice of her. They had the best rate for exchange of the AUS$ at about 2.84MYR.
- The pool area-great as usual, although no infinity pool yet. But I have heard a rumour that this area will be fairly exclusive and you will have to pay a fee to use it...no kids allowed. The pool area was about a 100m walk from our room.
- The grounds and gardens between the two lots of accommodation are pristine and you are able to find a shady spot under a tree without too much hassle. This is one of the things I like best about the HV/FV.
- The nearly full sized fridge in the apartment was great too, we were able to fit all our water and drinks in to keep cool, and this was a great bonus.
I would rate our stay a 3/10 for the accommodation, but overall because of the staff and facilities my overall score would be a 7/10. Keep up the great work, but please also put some investment into your rooms and do them up.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Fastbooking, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Federal Villa Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Federal Villa Langkawi Hotel Langkawi
- Federal Hotel Langkawi