“Cheap and Cheerful”

Ranked #54 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Down Under
“Cheap and Cheerful”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We were a little worried about staying after recently reading some bad reviews regarding room availability and service. For those that don’t know this hotel, it shares the facilities of the Holiday Villa (HV). You check-in at the HV and all contact is from then on with these staff.
The Federal Villa (FV) is a group of rooms and apartments of about a 2 star standard in my opinion. We usually stay on the HV side and have never had a bad experience. We chose the FV this time as it was too expensive for us to have a 2 bed apartment or adjoining rooms at the HV. We paid AUS$200 per night for our 2 bedroom self-contained apartment; expensive by most standards, but when you are in Langkawi, this is a cheap option if you want the luxury of a large pool area and being right on the beach. We kind of knew what to expect in regards to the state of the rooms. Yes, there were chips, marks and cracks in the walls, mis-matched tiles etc...BUT everything, although run down, was clean and comfortable (except maybe the toilet which was in such a small room we had to sit sideways). These are old rooms but the beds were comfortable, the shower was hot (although you do have to switch on the heater and the pump...no big deal), it was serviced each day and we were pretty happy with that.
THE DOWNSIDE
- Having to sit sideways on the toilet as mentioned above, please see pictures attached.
- Mozzies were really bad; we asked for the industrial strength spray each day, this killed everything on contact. I suggest you buy some mozzie coils and spray.
- The noise from “Cactus” right across the road...OMG!! They have a disco and some backpacker type accommodation at the back of the restaurant now, and the disco runs from around midnight till 4:00am pumping out “doof doof” music. I know this isn’t the fault of the Hotel, but you need to be aware of this, it woke us each night.
THE UPSIDE
- Obviously the price.
- The service was fantastic, not sure what people were complaining about, but we found the staff exceptional. We had no problem with our booking (I booked with wotif).
- Check in and checkout were smooth and efficient and Eda offered us free late checkout which was very nice of her. They had the best rate for exchange of the AUS$ at about 2.84MYR.
- The pool area-great as usual, although no infinity pool yet. But I have heard a rumour that this area will be fairly exclusive and you will have to pay a fee to use it...no kids allowed. The pool area was about a 100m walk from our room.
- The grounds and gardens between the two lots of accommodation are pristine and you are able to find a shady spot under a tree without too much hassle. This is one of the things I like best about the HV/FV.
- The nearly full sized fridge in the apartment was great too, we were able to fit all our water and drinks in to keep cool, and this was a great bonus.

I would rate our stay a 3/10 for the accommodation, but overall because of the staff and facilities my overall score would be a 7/10. Keep up the great work, but please also put some investment into your rooms and do them up.

Room Tip: We had apartment 391 which was close to the pool area, but because of the noise from Cactus I would...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Gabriella W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

we are family of three, with 2 years old toddler. Room condition was acceptable,except the bathroom. The shower is difficult to be put back into place. the bathroom floor is so slippery, my child fell twice! the bathroom is definitely not child proof.On the contrary, the environment is quite good.Swimming pool, that is shared with holiday villa is quite spacious, with big baby pool,even though it is quite far from room. I think the receptionist is not very friendly, i mean i know it doesnt really matters to others,but to me it will cause 1 point deduction for this hotel. Since I only stay 1night there is not much to complaint. Overall it is ok,but frankly i won't come back to this hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank SitiN
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed January 11, 2014

After reading the reviews we weren't expect much but were positively surprised! Our room was clean, staff were friendly and location was nice! We really enjoyed the pool area and the beach! You can't find sunbeds easily in Langkawi so it was really nice to have ones provided by the hotel! We didn't eat anything (not even breakfast) at the hotel because of the high prices. Breakfast seemed popular though!

Only thing was the new year's gala dinner.. Food was cold and drinks were totally overpriced. Elsewhere we would've had the whole dinner with drinks at the same price that we paid only for the drinks there! And the gala dinner itself wasn't cheap either.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElisaSSS
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Federal Villa is part of Holiday Villa. It's a very nice resort! Beautiful beach (although the water is a bit murky and has jellyfish), pool, gardens, good variety of food at a reasonable price, and most staff are friendly.

It's located in Pentai Tengah, which is pretty much just a strip of restaurants and shops. So there's plenty of places to eat. The next town, Pentai Cenang, is larger. You can walk to it in about 30 minutes, or simply take a cab.

I got a deluxe room - the setting was cute, but the room itself isn't much to be desired. It was like a motel room. The bathroom was pretty basic and the towels were musty. The AC was really powerful, so you'll have no problem cooling off from the heat. The TV had plenty of channels.

Given the price, this hotel is great value!!! I recommend it!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are a little more private as they motel-style cottages.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tzbodor
Dublin
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

We booked and stayed at federal villa for 7nights while visiting Langkawi. It is basically holiday villa the only difference being the room are located further from the reception/pool area.
Room was very clean I expected little after reading reviews but can really say it was clean. sheets and towels were changed daily and I can be fussy about that but I found it very comfortable here.
Pool area and reception area very spacious and clean also but were surprisingly quiet especially the restaurants. We ate in the Italian and other restaurant and enjoyed both meals. However Drinks during day are way over priced but we learnt our lesson very quickly. The beach area is also lovely and relaxing.
The only thing that tainted my opinion of here was the noise at night I barely slept for my entire stay due to about 5in room next door so after the 7nights we didn't extend our stay but we're happy to move.
Staff are very friendly and helpful with always a smile and hello.
No internet here unless want to pay ridiculous prices that u could get a taxi to and from town and use restaurants free wifi. I didn't think this was really fair on guests as even hostels provide wifi to guests. But on holiday we didn't mind so much being without it.
Good place for kids and families too.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traveller1986882
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Federal Villa is a three star property and under the management of Holiday Villa which is a five star property. Guests who are staying in Federal Villa have same access to common area and facilities offered to Holiday Villa. There a bit walk between both properties and at the night it feels little scary as no one is around.

Room were normal (pay what you get) and we spend most of the time in resort and there were no lifts to upper floor. Below our wing was a big children play area with swings.

Pool was huge, kids enjoyed here and more interesting to see a Karaoke at the poolside. One bar is at pool side and another at the beach front. First time witnesses an indoor pool for ladies.

There is a kids play areas and I have spent lot of time here with my kids. Near the restaurants there was a huge chess set and kids loved lifting darts while I was playing against my hubby.

Just across the resort there is a car/bike renting place and a daily need shop, we took taxi for sightseeing.

Unless you walk towards beach you will not realize how amazing is the beach view. I felt the view was very similar to phi phi island (not the water). We took a long walk on the beach and saw adjacent properties from outside.

At half the cost we got full access to 5 star facilities (not room), great value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PallaviMyPackageTrip
Batu Ferringhi, Malaysia
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Very basic accommodation and not very clean,particularly the bath room.Room very dark with well worn furniture. The lounge was a retro 50's coffee bar, very uncomfortable and with the worst band I have ever heard in Malaysia. The pool at the shallow end is too deep for non swimmers, even for adults so be careful with children. The staff very friendly and helpful. Would never stay here again

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple