“Excellent value”

The Frangipani Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed at the resort for 5 nights and we were really welcomed being shown to our room and we enjoyed a great stay. The Breakfast Buffet was awesome and we thoroughly enjoyed it, even when our favourite local fruit ran out...there was alot to choose from. I loved the housekeeping team and their brilliance in doing our room within hours, they worked hard! I admired the Bar Staff although mostly being Muslim they couldn't make a cocktail but hey...all points for trying! I loved walking to the town centre and eating at the Red Tomato and I loved being able to walk up the road and across it to a hawker stall food made locally. All in all a really great stay!

Room Tip: Definitely Book the Beach Bungalows I suggest 317 was an awesome Bungalow!
3  Thank Wateravatar

Reviewed April 4, 2014

A peaceful quiet getaway holiday. Quality accomodation in your own secluded not crowded island beach holiday. Everything you need is walking distance nearby.the resort itself is complete. I believe they are continuing further refurbishing and renovations to update areas and villa rooms.I found the villas spacious, quiet and very clean and well kept, including the entire premises resort areas. Beach is private. Not crowded. The whole area is safe to walk anywhere.Very private quiet place with quality tourists. Its good for families,alone for a break, couples or honeymooners.For both older and younger people. Its not a place for your mad drinking partying red light districts. Perfect for a decent clean relaxed holiday. Theres action like jet skiing and paragliding and speed boats for the more active. Or island hopping or just simply enjoy and soak up the peaceful holiday you can rarely have these days away from the rushing chaos of cities and over populated holiday resorts which have lost the paradise feel.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank CAOILI
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Check in went smoothly no unnecessary hanging around and then the porter took us down to the villa just in time to watch the sunset. Villa 313 had a great view. Porter switched on air con, fridge etc. Room quite basic but all the amenities you need. Could do with updating as a little tired if you looked closely. Bed however was extremely hard. Housekeeping offered more blankets etc to make it more comfortable if required. Slight lack of drawer space and hangers but manageable. Having a fridge was great as you could go to the local shop over the road and fill it with water/ drinks/ snacks etc. I loved the outdoor shower. It could have been cleaned slightly better though. I am not sure this area ever got cleaned as there was soap scum on the walls from before we arrived. The bathroom tiles could have been also wiped down. Apart from that the room was always kept nice and clean.
Buffet breakfast had a very good variety and every day we had some form of fresh cooked to order eggs. Lunch and dinner was very reasonably priced and tasted great. I recommend the fried frangipani flowers - delicious! Service can be a little slow when you order drinks or food at the bar even when it seems there are not many guests around. Watching the sunset at the bar was magical.
Pool areas both clean and tidy. No problem with getting towels - as many as we wanted. We mainly sat at the salt water pool as it was very quiet and relaxing. As mentioned in other reviews people do seem to put their towels out very early on sunbeds and then not turn up until much later and nothing is done about it even when mentioned. The pool guy was new to the job though. When we and some other guests did have an issue at the pool it was dealt with very rapidly and professionally by one of the people from the restaurant area (apologies we didn't get his name as he was also extremely friendly and helpful every time we saw him) Beach was beautiful and clean by the hotel. I was such a shame that the other hotels along the same stretch didn't take the same care. We kayaked over to the island opposite and the rubbish and empty bottles etc had ruined it.
Spa was nice - seemed very quiet. We both had a massage which was very relaxing. Good prices and variety of treatments.

Location was good. A short walk out of the hotel and you were on the main strip where there were plenty of restaurants to choose from that ranged in price. Our favourites were the LBC opposite the hotel for fantastic Malay food and so reasonably priced. And also the Indian restaurant right next door to the hotel. That was the best Indian food we have had anywhere. I wish I could have eaten more! Great to have free Wi-Fi in the lobby and bar area meant we could Skype back home, catch up on emails etc. Even managed to get it on some of the sunbeds along the beach.

Environmental practices that they have are good to see. Nice to see all the measures they are taking to recycle and separate all the rubbish out. We didn't do the environmental tour that is offered as we didn't have time but instead we planted a coconut tree for our children. This was a great experience and something I would recommend. We left it right to the last moment to enquire about it but they sorted it out for us straight away - even painting up the sign to say who planted it etc. We will get email updates every 6 months to check progress.

Staff were always very helpful and friendly. Want to make a special mention of Gerard the head of security. Took time to type out some phrases in Malay such as Good morning, please, thank you etc for my husband and posted it to our room. Always interested to find out how we found the hotel and if we had any issues. Same for the head of housekeeping wanted to know if everything was OK for us. Staff also very concerned when they thought I had been stung by a jellyfish - I hadn't but the concern was nice. That news went round the entire hotel I think as the next day they again enquired if I was OK.
I enjoyed my time at the Frangipani Langkawi Resort and Spa and will definitely be going back there again.

Room Tip: Sea view villa room 313 was great location.
5  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed April 2, 2014

If you visit Langkawi Island in Malaysia, this is the best place to stay. It is close to airport and Duty Free shop and number of good restaurants, do go to Mexican restaurant.
This hotel is surrounded with beautiful flowers and plants and breath taking view while you are having sumptuous breakfast which could make you skip lunch.
Reception and all the managers go out of their way to have you, a real good time.
If we needed something it was promptly taken care of and room cleaned daily. Provided bottled water. Two pools one with salt water and other fresh water are available. There is gym and local tour office, which we didn't use .
The place is serene and private beach eliminates need to go any where else. Though you should rent a car and visit Cable Car and Crocodile park.
we visited in March, of season so it was very peaceful and stayed for 7 nights, our room was upgraded without any hassle, only negative is that WiFi is available in lobby only, they are are working to provide in rooms soon. Other then that rates are very reasonable and location is ideal.
I can't think of any negative thing about this place, if I ever visit Langkawi, I will stay there again and they do have repeated customers with their photos in lobby.
Reservations are cheaper if made through internet, specially in Kuala Lumpur, advance booking means you pay less. Check if there is any festival or Formula One, that can jack up prices in KL.

Room Tip: Up stair rooms have better view of beach and near pool. In summer it may be noisy, I don;t know but...
1  Thank Khan A
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I've stayed here twice now, having been to Langkawi 3 times in total. My most recent visit was late 2013 (and yes, I'm slow to write reviews). I chose this hotel the first time for the location, the second time I chose it for two reasons - the beach, and the lack of high rise buildings. Call me fussy, but when staying beachside, I enjoy my own villa.

There's a few things to know - it's sprawling, and because of this, you don't get wifi in the rooms. It also means that it can take a while for the maids to get to your room for daily service. But this comes with pluses too - I was happy to be away from the main pool area, having a seaview villa near the salt water pool. My only snag with service was getting a pool towel (the hut wasn't staffed, and they didn't leave towels out. Reception told me to go and open it up and help myself, which felt a little odd, but it wasn't a huge issue).

Food is good - both room service and in restaurant, but if you go for a five minute walk you will get a lot of options at inexpensive prices. It's also a plus - you can get what you need, or look into the nearby variety. Breakfast buffets were busy, and at times I found someone had taken my seat when I went to get food, but the hotel was at 100% occupancy when I last stayed.

Beach is wonderful - warm clear water. On days that the water wasn't safe to swim in, the salt water pool was great (and most kids were at the main pool, so this was a quiet option). I also loved the outside shower.

Room Tip: Don't worry too much about paying for sea view or sea front rooms, all rooms are close to the be...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Driftergirl
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I spend 6 nights in this hotel with my Mother and we liked everything about this hotel - excellent location, extremely friendly and helpful staff, beautiful beach, spacious and modern room.
It was a little problem with a room cleaning. Twice we came back from the beach after 4 PM and room wasn't still make up. When it happened first time, it was a lot of apologies from staff but in one day it happened again....
But everything else was just great and We will come back again! We want to thank management and staff for the grate job!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank annaN4816SN
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed 1 night a few days ago. Must say that the reception service is poor. (maybe to locals-double standard is frequently practice in local hotels). Have to wait for almost 10 minutes to check-in when there is no guest at that time. No receptionist except for a lady busy counting money and ask me to wait until I requested to check-in after 10 minutes of waiting. Porter did not bother to bring along a trolley until being asked. When we finally reach our room a pile of dirty laundry at our porch and was clear almost an hour later. Room is quite spacious and clean. But will not give it a second chance.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family